Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:23 pm 
Elephant

I am planning on producing my own Vegan Cookbook. A healthy eating book with a Nintendo theme. What better way to get kids to go vegan and eat healthy then by telling them to eat Spinach Green Luigi Whole Wheat Pizza or Super Mario Salad( Just made it up now so I'm not sure what it would have yet :lol: )

Check it out here. http://www.legendofzeldaseries.com/forums/index.php ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:26 pm 
Elephant

i would totally buy it for my (future) kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:49 pm 
Manatee

The Candle Cafe cookbook and The Artful Vegan - amazing recipes in those books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:08 pm 
Manatee

" How it all vegan"

So many recipes...even recipes for cats and dogs...a list of animal ingredients to avoid...and a way to make everything from household cleaning supplies to makeup...SCORE!!!

I got it as a gift for my birthday...from bunch of omni's at work I thought that was sweet. I made them vegan chocolate chip cookies with the book as a thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:27 pm 
Elephant

I've seen this book How it all Vegan, and I thought it was cool. But I haven't bought it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:42 am 
Gorilla

Dr. Pink wrote:
I am planning on producing my own Vegan Cookbook. A healthy eating book with a Nintendo theme. What better way to get kids to go vegan and eat healthy then by telling them to eat Spinach Green Luigi Whole Wheat Pizza or Super Mario Salad( Just made it up now so I'm not sure what it would have yet :lol: )

I swear to God that if you create that my husband would go vegan to try it. He's such a Nintendo nut!

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians."
-Linda McCartney

Post subject: The Farm Cookbook
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:52 pm 
Elephant

The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook is a healthier edition of THE classic. When it was first published in 1975 "vegans" were known as "vegetarians." The Farm, Stephen Gaskin and Ina May Gaskin are cultural gems for many reasons besides being vegan pioneers. The recipes are simple. I've multiplied some of these recipes to feed hundreds at a time. If you want the real American home cooking bible that started it all for the masses, this is the one for you.

Post subject: Re: The Farm Cookbook
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:26 pm 
Elephant

John V wrote:
The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook is a healthier edition of THE classic. When it was first published in 1975 "vegans" were known as "vegetarians." The Farm, Stephen Gaskin and Ina May Gaskin are cultural gems for many reasons besides being vegan pioneers. The recipes are simple. I've multiplied some of these recipes to feed hundreds at a time. If you want the real American home cooking bible that started it all for the masses, this is the one for you.

YES! Yes! Yes and YES! Yay John V for mentioning it before me! As I scrolled through the post I was shocked noone mentioned this cookbook. It's our definite go-to book for everything! There aren't complicated or "vegan version" ingredients. All you'll find are simple and extremely satisfying meals! We love the pizza recipe, whole wheat bread recipe, tvp "spaghetti balls", brownies...all of it! Delish!

Post subject: Re: Any favorite Vegan Cookbooks?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:39 pm 
Elephant

People always raved about the cakes I'd make for 2oo+ servings using the Farm Cookbook. (reduce soda or baking powder when multiplying cake size!) Some of the real toothringing sweets didn't make it to the later editions. I quit sweets 5 years ago but still make some for others at birthday parties.

It is a great reference book for vegans new and old.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:01 pm 
Elephant

Funny, every recipe I've made from the Candle Cafe cookbook was an absolute disaster and thrown in the garbage. And I'm not exactly a novice.

I really like Fresh by Jennifer Houston and Ruth Tal Brown, Vegan with a Vengeance, and Dreena Burton's Vive Le Vegan. Mostly I just make up my own recipes anymore. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:08 pm 
Rabbit

The two that I use:

La Dolce Vegan
Good to learn the basics. Many recipes have the same core ingredients, plus shows you how to make your own faux meat and sauces. I usually reduce the oil by at least half in most recipes, and they still turn out great.

Veganomicon
When you have time and patience and you aren't hungry now. But the results are worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:25 pm 
Manatee

I like 'La Dolce Vegan'... Sarah Kramer is a funny lady, very down to earth... I wish it had more pictures of food, although it is kind of fun to be surprised :)

'Cooking the Whole Foods Way' by Christina Pirello is a wonderful book and has recently been re-published as a vegan-only cookbook (the original version had some fish recipes).

I really want to try cooking from 'Veganomicon' but until I can afford it :wink: I have been trying recipes off of Post Punk Kitchen (www.theppk.com), it is a great resource!

-Theodor Seuss Geisel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:59 pm 
Elephant

Veganomicon is a great book. Every recipe I've tried has turned out really nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:29 pm 
Elephant

pamela wrote:
Funny, every recipe I've made from the Candle Cafe cookbook was an absolute disaster and thrown in the garbage. And I'm not exactly a novice.

I've had similar experiences with this book. I do make a few of their recipes but I've had to modify them. I don't believe they tested any of the recipes before publishing the book. It would be great if they included their real seitan recipe - it's some of the best seitan we've ever had in a restaurant. They don't make it themselves but get it from some guy in Pennsylvania (according to the wait staff each time we've asked).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:14 pm 
Rabbit

Another vote for Veganomicon. I absolutely love it. I like that is has everything from how to steam and roast vegetables to some pretty gourmet stuff. I think it's great for anyone.

Check out my blog entry about Robert: http://www.thetravelingvegetarian.tv/but-wait-arent-vegans-emaciated-weaklings/