Any favorite Vegan Cookbooks?

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Dr. Pink
Elephant

#16 Postby Dr. Pink » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:23 pm

I am planning on producing my own Vegan Cookbook. A healthy eating book with a Nintendo theme. What better way to get kids to go vegan and eat healthy then by telling them to eat Spinach Green Luigi Whole Wheat Pizza or Super Mario Salad( Just made it up now so I'm not sure what it would have yet :lol: )
The Best Zelda forum/Site ever. It's got everything. A gamer, Fan Fic, RPG and even a section multimedia. And of course I'm a member. Have been for two years now.

Check it out here. http://www.legendofzeldaseries.com/forums/index.php ^_^

xjohanx
Elephant

#17 Postby xjohanx » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:26 pm

i would totally buy it for my (future) kids
cubby2112 wrote:When someone says you don't train "functionally," you should just punch them in the face. Ask them how "functional" of a movement that was.

seitan_man
Manatee

#18 Postby seitan_man » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:49 pm

The Candle Cafe cookbook and The Artful Vegan - amazing recipes in those books.

Emmybear
Manatee

#19 Postby Emmybear » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:08 pm

" How it all vegan"

So many recipes...even recipes for cats and dogs...a list of animal ingredients to avoid...and a way to make everything from household cleaning supplies to makeup...SCORE!!!

I got it as a gift for my birthday...from bunch of omni's at work I thought that was sweet. I made them vegan chocolate chip cookies with the book as a thanks.

hsorlando
Elephant

#20 Postby hsorlando » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:27 pm

I've seen this book How it all Vegan, and I thought it was cool. But I haven't bought it yet.
The devotion of thought to an honest achievement makes the achievement possible.

VeganGirl2006
Gorilla

#21 Postby VeganGirl2006 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:42 am

Dr. Pink wrote:I am planning on producing my own Vegan Cookbook. A healthy eating book with a Nintendo theme. What better way to get kids to go vegan and eat healthy then by telling them to eat Spinach Green Luigi Whole Wheat Pizza or Super Mario Salad( Just made it up now so I'm not sure what it would have yet :lol: )

I swear to God that if you create that my husband would go vegan to try it. He's such a Nintendo nut!
Courtney

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians."
-Linda McCartney

John V
Elephant

The Farm Cookbook

#22 Postby John V » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:52 pm

The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook is a healthier edition of THE classic. When it was first published in 1975 "vegans" were known as "vegetarians." The Farm, Stephen Gaskin and Ina May Gaskin are cultural gems for many reasons besides being vegan pioneers. The recipes are simple. I've multiplied some of these recipes to feed hundreds at a time. If you want the real American home cooking bible that started it all for the masses, this is the one for you.
an evolving primate

veganmadre
Elephant

Re: The Farm Cookbook

#23 Postby veganmadre » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:26 pm

John V wrote:The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook is a healthier edition of THE classic. When it was first published in 1975 "vegans" were known as "vegetarians." The Farm, Stephen Gaskin and Ina May Gaskin are cultural gems for many reasons besides being vegan pioneers. The recipes are simple. I've multiplied some of these recipes to feed hundreds at a time. If you want the real American home cooking bible that started it all for the masses, this is the one for you.

YES! Yes! Yes and YES! Yay John V for mentioning it before me! As I scrolled through the post I was shocked noone mentioned this cookbook. It's our definite go-to book for everything! There aren't complicated or "vegan version" ingredients. All you'll find are simple and extremely satisfying meals! We love the pizza recipe, whole wheat bread recipe, tvp "spaghetti balls", brownies...all of it! Delish!
Making Prudish Americans Uncomfortable - one photo at a time.

John V
Elephant

Re: Any favorite Vegan Cookbooks?

#24 Postby John V » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:39 pm

People always raved about the cakes I'd make for 2oo+ servings using the Farm Cookbook. (reduce soda or baking powder when multiplying cake size!) Some of the real toothringing sweets didn't make it to the later editions. I quit sweets 5 years ago but still make some for others at birthday parties.

It is a great reference book for vegans new and old.
an evolving primate

pamela
Elephant

#25 Postby pamela » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:01 pm

Funny, every recipe I've made from the Candle Cafe cookbook was an absolute disaster and thrown in the garbage. And I'm not exactly a novice.

I really like Fresh by Jennifer Houston and Ruth Tal Brown, Vegan with a Vengeance, and Dreena Burton's Vive Le Vegan. Mostly I just make up my own recipes anymore. :)

Valente
Rabbit

#26 Postby Valente » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:08 pm

The two that I use:

La Dolce Vegan
Good to learn the basics. Many recipes have the same core ingredients, plus shows you how to make your own faux meat and sauces. I usually reduce the oil by at least half in most recipes, and they still turn out great.

Veganomicon
When you have time and patience and you aren't hungry now. But the results are worth it.

veganmama
Manatee

#27 Postby veganmama » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:25 pm

I like 'La Dolce Vegan'... Sarah Kramer is a funny lady, very down to earth... I wish it had more pictures of food, although it is kind of fun to be surprised :)

'Cooking the Whole Foods Way' by Christina Pirello is a wonderful book and has recently been re-published as a vegan-only cookbook (the original version had some fish recipes).

I really want to try cooking from 'Veganomicon' but until I can afford it :wink: I have been trying recipes off of Post Punk Kitchen (www.theppk.com), it is a great resource!
---megan---
http://www.myspace.com/ellaandfinnsmom
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Theodor Seuss Geisel

sosso
Elephant

#28 Postby sosso » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:59 pm

Veganomicon is a great book. Every recipe I've tried has turned out really nice.

DV
Elephant

#29 Postby DV » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:29 pm

pamela wrote:Funny, every recipe I've made from the Candle Cafe cookbook was an absolute disaster and thrown in the garbage. And I'm not exactly a novice.

I've had similar experiences with this book. I do make a few of their recipes but I've had to modify them. I don't believe they tested any of the recipes before publishing the book. It would be great if they included their real seitan recipe - it's some of the best seitan we've ever had in a restaurant. They don't make it themselves but get it from some guy in Pennsylvania (according to the wait staff each time we've asked).
Do what you always did, get what you always got.

TravelingVeg
Rabbit

#30 Postby TravelingVeg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Another vote for Veganomicon. I absolutely love it. I like that is has everything from how to steam and roast vegetables to some pretty gourmet stuff. I think it's great for anyone.

Return to “Vegan Recipes”