Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: oil free granola
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:20 pm 
Rabbit

This is a little more labor intensive than most granola recipes out there, but there is no added oil, it still clumps up nicely, and is a good alternative to protein bars on the go.

1 1/2 cup any mixture of chopped seeds/nuts
3/4 cup steel cut oats
3/4 cup flaked barley or rolled oats
1/2 cup hemp protein powder
1 tbsp vanilla or almond extract
3-5 tbsp brown rice syrup or other sweetener (enough to get the mixture to clump)
1/4 cup apple sauce (amount may vary)
2 tbsp flax meal
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp cinnamon / pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup dried fruit

Mix the nuts/seeds, oats/barley, protein powder, and vanilla/almond extract together, and add enough brown rice syrup or other liquid sweetener to form dry clumps. In a blender, or with a whisk, beat the flax and water until it forms a very thick, sticky mixture (flax eggs.) Then, add in the apple sauce and spices to the flax mixture and mix it until they are evenly incorporated. Add this to the other ingredients and mix it until it begins to ball up. Press this into a baking pan in the same way as in making a crumb crust and put it into a 350 degree oven. Timing varies on baking it, I usually let it go until the edges of the pan are dark brown and toasted, and the center feels dry to the touch. When it seems done, take it out of the oven and break it into clumps with a spoon. Once it has cooled, stir in the dried fruit and store in an airtight container. If you want a little bit of a kick, substitute a 1/4 cup of the seeds/nuts with a 1/4 cup of lightly crushed, light roast coffee beans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:24 am 
Gorilla

That's a nice recipe. Most granolas are pretty bad. You could even use some quinoa flakes or other for the second grain, and some coconut in place of the hemp.
Easy to make that a raw granola too :D.

Post subject: Re: oil free granola
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:58 pm 
Manatee

Despite my oven being on the fritz - I decided to try this recipe out. I went the long route, and set the oven for 150 tossing every 20 minutes. It still ended up burning.

It's probably for the better though. I've been eating about a pound of granola a day. The strawberry hemp, and pumpkin flax at whole foods are way too good. I just grabbed some earlier, and the pumpkin flax didn't make it halfway home.