Do you have a shower filter/purifier?

compassionategirl

I have read in many places now that your body absords as much chlorine during a shower as it would had you drank 2 quarts of chlorine laden water. Apparently, the chlorine and other heavy metals cause vapours in a hot shower that you also breath in.

In short, shower water purifying devices remove chlorine and other heavy metals in the water in which you shower. So less of these chemicals is absorbed into your body through your skin while you shower.

I also heard that in addition to a greatly reduced exposure to and intake of carcinogenic and otherwise harmful chemicals, your hair and skin feel much softer and you have better hair days!!

I think when I have some money I am going to get one. Apparently they are about 30 bucks.

Anybody here have a shower water filter? Any thoughts on any of the above?

is everyone on here really poor? i always hear people saying stuff like "when i have cash" or making reference to prices, but $30 for a water filter seems like fuck all to me.

is everyone on here really poor? i always hear people saying stuff like "when i have cash" or making reference to prices, but $30 for a water filter seems like fuck all to me.

yup. currently i am paying ridiculous amounts of tuition, have no job, but lots of bills piling up. A $30 shower filter is a luxury for me at the moment.

I would rather spend the $30 on vegan supplements. But soon, I will hopefully have a decent paying job once I graduate.

So do you have a shower filter Jza?

natalie

probably, i think our house is outfitted with them. even though i'm assuming our water quality is a lot better than yours, most places here have them installed for drinking and often showering.

i like a few chemicals though..it's like strength training for internal organs.

yup. currently i am paying ridiculous amounts of tuition, have no job, but lots of bills piling up. A $30 shower filter is a luxury for me at the moment.

I would rather spend the $30 on vegan supplements. But soon, I will hopefully have a decent paying job once I graduate.

Amen to that....I just paid tuition, rent, car insurance (for the car I barely use) and a credit card bill this week....And I'm so far in the hole to my parents and other general debt, I can't even stop to think about it or I'll just cry

I can't remember the last time I spent more than 10$ all at once...I can't remember the last time I had that much!

I've never heard that about the showers, but that is a scary thought....definitely makes me want a filter. I am curious to read more about it.

I have a shower filter. I got it for free from a customer of mine in the water purification business. He had given me one a couple of years ago (they are disposable), and I really noticed a heavy chlorine smell when it wore out and I took it off.

What you read about how much chlorine you inhale & absorb through your skin is correct.

I've used a shower filter for about 5 years now. We change the filter cartridge about once a year -- just two of us. The first thing I noticed was the lack of chlorine smell -- so nice! Within about 3 weeks, my itchy skin didn't itch as much & my hair was much softer.

I highly recommend it! I hope it's not against board rules, but I recommend this online store. I don't work for Gene, but he is vegan & a very reliable businessman. I have also purchased a home water distiller & a water filter for my kitchen sink from him & have always gotten good service. He will also send you a reminder when it's time to replace your cartridge.

http://www.pwgazette.com/shower.htm

He also offers vitamin C tablets that you can drop into your bath water that neutralize the chlorine. I've been using them for about a year now & they are great. I use to fill my tub up via the shower head to keep from soaking in chlorine. These are so much simpler!

http://www.pwgazette.com/vitabath.htm

And, finally, he has an online magazine that is full of facts & interesting humor. Here is one of my favorite pages, "Vegetarian Classified."

http://www.purewatergazette.net/vclassification.html

hey thanks CrispyQ!!

ya, I too love taking nice hot baths-- all this time I have been soaking myself in chlorine and other heavy metals and chemicals!! Taking it through my skin and inhaling the dangerous gases that form!!!!

I will DEFINITELY be getting a shower filter asap -- it is now one of my top priorities. And now, I must go and take a chlorine and chemical laden shower -- and I am dreading it now!!!! I need to wear heavy duty protecive gear and gas mask just to take a shower!!!

Im poor as all shit due to moving across the country and relocating my entire existence.

not everyone is rich.

I will DEFINITELY be getting a shower filter asap -- it is now one of my top priorities. And now, I must go and take a chlorine and chemical laden shower -- and I am dreading it now!!!! I need to wear heavy duty protecive gear and gas mask just to take a shower!!!

haha, that is exactly what my girlfriend was like when we were inbetween shower water filters. She made a big fuss about it as if she had never showered without a water filter before, like it was toxic sludge she was stepping into

haha, that is exactly what my girlfriend was like when we were inbetween shower water filters. She made a big fuss about it as if she had never showered without a water filter before, like it was toxic sludge she was stepping into

Somedays I turn on the water & it smells like a swim pool!

BTW, I wonder if they've ever done a study on swimmers & if spending hours in a chlorinated pool has had any affect on them.

If I could afford it (and if I owed my house, instead of rent) I'd get a reverse osmosis system for the entire house. We use filters for drinking and cooking water, all the time. The water in our neighborhood is heavily chlorinated.

I didn't know they had shower filters, though. Is this something that has to be ordered online? Or can I get it from a Home Depot or something?

I didn't know they had shower filters, though. Is this something that has to be ordered online? Or can I get it from a Home Depot or something?

I saw ones being sold at a health food store and I think home depot would sell them as well. or any local vendor in the business of water purification. Just look it up in your yellow pages phone book under "water purification" or something like that. or you could check out the link Crispy provided above.

The devices I saw were $30 Canadian and the lady explained that the hook up is onto your shower head was very easy and took only 2 minutes, which is good, because I am very mechanically challenged.

I had never heard of a shower purifier before. Thanks for the post though, I'll have to check them out now.

Hey, what are friends for -- lookin' out for each other's health among other things

ya so anyway the point is that if we care enough about water chemicals to drink purified water, then we are only protecting ourselves half the time. YOur skin absords all the chemicals that you wouldnt drink by mouth -- so it ultimately still ends up in your body. It is just that it is taken in thru your skin and not your mouth.

So he who has a problem/concern with drinking tap water, should definitely also get a shower filter.

peace

I had never heard of a shower purifier before. Thanks for the post though, I'll have to check them out now.

Will, ya you should probably check them out because it just occured to me that if you might be bathing your cute little boy in chemical laden water and maybe not realizing the extent to which he is absorbing all that shit thru his skin . I know that I myself didnt even know about this until recently, although I remember that this was one suggestions in a book that I had skimmed a long while back. I had just forgotten about it though and the book wasnt very credible. But I have read this same thing about taking it in thru the skin recently in much more credible sources so it got my attention this time. That and the fact that my dad wears this pain patch where the meds are absorbed through the skin and into his bloodstream so that is further proof of the claim of "Absortion through the skin." Another proof is to take a piece of garlic, put it in your shoe and walk around with no socks in your shoes. Apparently, you will taste the garlic in your mouth (even though you were exposed to it underneat your feet skin) in a matter of a short while thereafter b/c again, it is absorbed through your skin!! So somebody should really try that experiment at home and tell us what happens! Plus, it just makes common sense anyway when you think about it, seeing how your skin is such a large organ with so many pores all over.

Only pain in the ass thing though is that since the filter is hooked up to the shower head, if you want to fill the bath tub up with purified water then you have to fill it up from the shower head, not the other fosset thing in the bathtub. This I am sure takes longer. But at least we would be soaking and bathing in pure water, not a chlorine, lead, arsenic, etc. and other heavy metal party!