Interesting article from the other side

Sknydpr

Take New Zealand, for example. Here we have a country of 269,000 square kilometres – larger than Great Britain – with a human population of 3 million, a sheep population of 42 million (see figure 1) and many cattle. When I was in New Zealand for three months in Spring 1999, I didn't see one field of grain.

he's got the population out by over a million.

we have a massive fruit and vege export industyry, it's one of the back bones of our economy.

where the fuck was he driving round? there are literally 1000s of acres of maize and corn etc grown, easily visible. oh wait, he was there in planting season.

that was at a glance, without reading fuck all...it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

basic phyics in regards to energy loss show how plant foods require far less area to provide the same nutrition.

Interesting yes, and also crazy! I'm always frustrated when someone endeavors to write an intellectual article and then formulates his arguments in such elementary prose. His points are painfully vague - in every paragraph he jumps from start to conclusion without including the supporting evidence.

My favorite was this one in which he tries to shoot down vegetarianism and inadvertently promotes veganism:

"Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism carries little or no health risk for its adult adherents (although there may still be risk for children if a bulky, high-fibre, low-fat/protein diet is fed). In this category are those who have given up meat for moral reasons: those who don't like the thought of the slaughter of food animals, but do continue to eat milk, cheese and eggs. Here we have the situation where people who cannot bear the thought of killing animals for food, rely on the rest of us to carry the burden of guilt for them – as the production of milk, cheese and eggs inevitably involves the birth and the death of animals. "

I found interesting the chart of comparisons between the digestive system of carnivores, herbivores and humans. I recall seeing the identical set up and comparison on this forum, but with drastically different results. In his chart, humans come out looking like carnivores. In the one I've seen here, obviously the opposite is true. I'm confused as to how that can be.

Anyway - thanks for sharing. Frustrating to read, but interesting!

OOOHH I had one other favorite part -

"As we know, when it needs food, our body indicates this to us with the feeling of hunger. But there are also other signals if specific nutrients are deficient. Meat is the best source of several nutrients. When our bodies are deficient in these, we become irritable and aggressive. This is a perfectly natural signal built into our genetic make-up over our evolution: our bodies are telling us to go out and kill something to eat. This is why strict vegetarians tend to be so vociferous. It is a trait that was recognised long ago; it was, after all, the vegetarian Cain who killed the carnivorous Abel, not the other way round. The vegan Kikuyu tribe in Kenya were the perpetrators of the murderous Mau Mau in the 1950s, not their wholly carnivorous, but peaceful, neighbours, the Maasai"

That is GREAT. I'm still laughing.

• 1 month later...
OOOHH I had one other favorite part -

"As we know, when it needs food, our body indicates this to us with the feeling of hunger. But there are also other signals if specific nutrients are deficient. Meat is the best source of several nutrients. When our bodies are deficient in these, we become irritable and aggressive. This is a perfectly natural signal built into our genetic make-up over our evolution: our bodies are telling us to go out and kill something to eat. This is why strict vegetarians tend to be so vociferous. It is a trait that was recognised long ago; it was, after all, the vegetarian Cain who killed the carnivorous Abel, not the other way round. The vegan Kikuyu tribe in Kenya were the perpetrators of the murderous Mau Mau in the 1950s, not their wholly carnivorous, but peaceful, neighbours, the Maasai"

Must kill!

Gee, with all this pent up agression I must have from being a vegan for so long, I must be on the verge of some serial killing spree. Ya think?

(I think strici vegetarians this guy meets must be so"vociferous" because he bugs the heck out of them and brings out their homicidal qualities).

You can’t compare people to sheep! Sheep are a grazing animal and are designed to contently be eating. Horses are also grazing animals and they should never have empty stomach (I think it has some thing to do with their stomach acid).

Also I hate when people compare our teeth to other animals and say that some how our teeth resemble those of a carnivore.

http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/imagescooked/6587W.jpg

people teeth

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/anatomy/images/dog_teeth.jpg

dog teeth

http://www.taylormadeteeth.com/images/Horse%20Skull%20bigger.jpg

horse teeth... please note, horses have canine teeth!

• 1 month later...

if by entertaining you mean funny as hell, then yes it is entertaing.

my favorite parts:

"these vegetarian type fad diets must be regarded as a form of child abuse"

"This is a perfectly natural signal built into our genetic make-up over our evolution: our bodies are telling us to go out and kill something to eat. This is why strict vegetarians tend to be so vociferous"

"the design of our digestive organs and digestive enzymes, which are exactly like those of the great carnivores – and nothing at all like those of a herbivore"

"All this evidence points to our being pure carnivores, as are the big cats"

oh god stop. i can't take it anymore! it's HILARIOUS!

did larry david write this?