Hows your love life?

kollision

Anyone have a love life here? Knowing that we are all vegans that makes the pool smaller for all of us. To add on top of that, we also have our own personal beliefs that makes that pool even more smaller. Any crushes? Feel free to discuss!

Also, what are your expectations? Do they need to be a certain race, have a certain body, etc.?

Edited by kollision

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish! I'm single and would love to have a straight edge vegan girlfriend.

patience topher, patience. lol

so if you are "straight edge", does that mean that you cannot enjoy the occasional single drink? ever? never ever?

I can totally see the importance of the vegan requirement because if you arent vegan, you are contributing to suffering. But I know that it is so important to both you and Rob to find somebody that 100% alcohol free. I can understand not wanting to be with somebody that drinks excessively or regularly, (I know that would be a huge turn off for me too) but what is so "immoral" about ONE DRINK ever ever ever- ??? is that the problem -- do you guys consider it immoral?

I dont really understand why that is an essential characteristic for so many of the men here. Please dont misunderstand me -- I am not judgng you (I think the men here are awesome) and I am not saying that it should NOT be important to you -- I am only trying to understand what makes you guys tick, to understand what is important to you and why, to get to know you better, that's all.

so please help me understand you a lil better

so if you are "straight edge", does that mean that you cannot enjoy the occasional single drink? ever? never ever?

I can totally see the importance of the vegan requirement because if you arent vegan, you are contributing to suffering. But I know that it is so important to both you and Rob to find somebody that 100% alcohol free. I can understand not wanting to be with somebody that drinks excessively or regularly, (I know that would be a huge turn off for me too) but what is so "immoral" about ONE DRINK ever ever ever- ??? is that the problem -- do you guys consider it immoral?

I dont really understand why that is an essential characteristic for so many of the men here. Please dont misunderstand me -- I am not judgng you (I think the men here are awesome) and I am not saying that it should NOT be important to you -- I am only trying to understand what makes you guys tick, to understand what is important to you and why, to get to know you better, that's all.

I agree with ya. If ya do it in moderation and know how to control yourself, then I personally do not have a problem. I am that type of person. I really dislike drinks and can't stand them (and personally do not understand why people like it) but if it's something new, I'll try it (and most likely give it to someone else after I tasted it).

I aint condemning you Toph or Rob, I, just like Nat, find it hard to comprehend as far as the reasons as to why you wouldn't date a girl that's not straight edge. Or perhaps you would, but straight edge would be your first priority. It's cool if that's what your looking for, but just so we could understand better, could you please explain?

Hope you get a good girl Toph, you deserve one and she should deserve ya too.

single for about 2 years now.

hard to find a vegan girl who conforms with my "requirements", and of course she has to like me!

Why search for a vegan girl? There are enough nice non-vegan girls whom think they care about animals. So just get yourself one of those and show here the vegan way of life. She might turn vegan then. This way you save more animal lives.

I lose like everyone else. In agreement with Topher, I can't imagine myself with someone who isn't straight edge (in so far as not drinking alcohol, smoking or taking drugs). I have tried to get myself to accept other people drinking alcohol in moderation, but I don't really see a reason to :s it bugs me to see someone drink alcohol. It isn't the end of the world, and I don't think people are evil for touching alcohol, but it does irritate me to an extent. Maybe it is something I could overlook if I actually came across someone who was really awesome, but also drank a bit. But even then, I think it'd irritate me too much. I think it bugs me because I think to myself "why are they drinking alcohol?" If they like the taste of it, why not get non-alcoholic? If it's for supposed health reasons, why not drink something healthier - there are lots of things healthier than alcohol, for instance water. And if it's to alter their mental state, then that bugs me the most, I'd rather people just be who they are. But like I said, maybe I am unrealistic about it, and maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if I met someone nice. But the people I meet generally aren't suitable for me for hundreds of reasons, alchol being one of the less significant.

gymhater: all non-vegan girls i know give a sh** about animal rights, how could you turn such a person into a compassionate vegan?

i often thought about having a non-vegan girlfriend but i rather stay single instead, i don't want to waste my feelings on somebody who doesn't deserve them. i know this doesn't sound very nice, but this is my attitude

my post is not attacking anyone, I do not look down on others who do drink. In fact I just hung out at 2 bars tonight with friends who do drink. I am straight edge for myself.

I am simply just trying to answer questions so please do not take anything I say as a personal attack.

with that said...

straight edge:

no drinking

no smoking

no premiscuous sex

so correct, no drink ever. I do not consider drinking enjoyable. I find no need to poison my body with a depressant.

robert is not straight edge. I am. straight edge is a CONSCIOUS decision to swear off drugs, smoking, drinking, and premisc sex. no one is born straight edge. if one never touched a drug but never made the CONSCIOUS decision to swear off drugs FORVER...then they are just DRUG-FREE.

I should not have to explain the negative affects of alcohol as I am sure we all know.

what is so immoral about a lil drink? let me answer with a question:

what is so immoral about eating a little piece of meat? I see this the same way as alcohol. It goes against my beleifs. I am vegan so I would never take a lil piece of meat, just like I am straight edge I would never take a little sip.

there is a big difference between being drug-free, a social drug user, a habitual drug user, and straight edge.

straight edge is swearing off harmful addictions forever through abstinence. one reaches a point in their life where they decide they want to be in control of their own body, mind, and spirit and not be under the influence of any substance ever again, and yes this includes lust.

I was told I should be in lithium for my bipolar disorder.

I was completely against that...

my reasoning was that I didnt use drugs to become bipolar, so why should i use a drug to get be back to "normal". I decided from then on to never have to rely on drugs to be "normal" or to fit in or feel better about myself.

alcohol doesnt solve any problems. if i want to become more social, i dont need a drink...i will learn to have a more sociable personality then. if i am nervous, i dont need a drink to loosen me up, I will grow balls and get some courage instead.

I dont need to escape from my problems. I'd rather fight them head on.

I simply cannot understand how people can toxify their body and consider it enjoyable or pleasureable, just because its socially acceptable doesnt mean its a healthy lifestyle. as I am sure you do not understand why I dont drink, I dont understand why people do drink. to me I see it as a harmful situation. the same goes for caffiene.

hope this helped a little bit. if you want more info or to further discuss this please PM me. I do not want to hijack this thread.

I was simply stating I wish I had a girlfriend who had the same beliefs as me. Ive dated girls that have smoked, drank, and f*cked all the time, and vegetarians, vegans. you name it. I dont want someone who is simply drug-free. I want someone who made that commitment to never subbcumb to drinking or smoking and stuff.

straight edge.... my favourite edge kids are the ones with sXe tats you only see when theyu've got the meth pipe or beer bottle to their lips.

yes I know many kids with sxe tattoos who do drugs and drink now.

just like I know many vegans who eat meat.

many kids do this simply as a fashion trend or because its cool at the moment.

" ...if you arent straight edge now, you never were... no matter how many cool tattoos you got, or how "edge" you were back in the day..."

I agree with ya. If ya do it in moderation and know how to control yourself, then I personally do not have a problem. I am that type of person. I really dislike drinks and can't stand them (and personally do not understand why people like it) but if it's something new, I'll try it (and most likely give it to someone else after I tasted it).

I aint condemning you Toph or Rob, I, just like Nat, find it hard to comprehend as far as the reasons as to why you wouldn't date a girl that's not straight edge. Or perhaps you would, but straight edge would be your first priority. It's cool if that's what your looking for, but just so we could understand better, could you please explain?

Hope you get a good girl Toph, you deserve one and she should deserve ya too.

please dont take any offense to any of this. I am simply answering your questions. I have nothing against people who drink or smoke or whatever. it simply is just not for me.

I used to believe in the whole "dont try it til you knock it" theory.

well, I never tried heroine...but Im not about to go try it because its something I havent done before.

Ive tried smoking and drinking because of the whole "dont knock it" thing, and it sucked. I wish I never tried it. I didnt have to give in to peer pressure to realize where I stand on the issues.

again Robert isnt straight edge. he is drug-free.

I am straight edge (commitment of substance abstinence for life).

Ive dated girls that werent straight edge. ive dated girls that werent even drug free. ive dated girls that weent vegetarian or vegan. and it just didnt work out. I dont like kissing someone who has smoke billowing out her mouth, or the taste of flesh on her lips, or poison on her breath.

sure I might continue to date girls that arent "ideal" to me simply for the fact they are rare and I cant expect every girl I see to be the way I want them too....but then again that is why I use the word "ideal". it be nice to have a sxe vegan gf...for the sake of I like being with someone who has the same beliefs and values as me.

Ive tried keeping an open mind when it comes to dating, but again that open mind is slowly closing and is focusing on what important. I dont want to date just to have a gf or because I "need" someone. I want someone that I truly care about to be my gf. I have all this love, and I dont feel like "wasting" it anymore on someone who is gonna cheat on me or go get high cause its cool.

sxe and veganism are strong beliefs and it would be most ideal to me to be able to date someone who also has come to the same conclusion that killing animals is wrong and that drugs are lame.

I'll probably continue to date un-ideal girls which sucks....but yeh...

straight edge was a first priority to me, then veganism. then it was the other way around. as if they arent vegan not only are they harming themself...but they are harming animals too. and not being drugfree they are firstmost harming themself and then possibly might harm others too (second hand smoke, drunk driving, etc.).

but now I see both equally as important. I dont want to date someone who is not on the same mental and moral level as myself. I am tired of lowering my standards simply to get a girl. If I have to wait for ms ideal (and I am not saying she is perfect...just simply sxe and vegan), then so be it. I think its worth waiting for love.

thanks. Im still waiting for her and in no rush. hope you find one too

gymhater: all non-vegan girls i know give a sh** about animal rights, how could you turn such a person into a compassionate vegan?

i often thought about having a non-vegan girlfriend but i rather stay single instead, i don't want to waste my feelings on somebody who doesn't deserve them. i know this doesn't sound very nice, but this is my attitude

Well, almost everyone can be turned vegan. Whether or not someone is vegan is caused by "nurture" and "nature". Everyone is born vegan, so being not vegan has to do with the nurture element. Almost every vegan once was not vegan, so the turning vegan had to have come from nurturing. I am not saying there is a standard way of turning someone vegan, but showing them meat your meat and informing them about nutrition and stuff might do the trick. It may also scare them away, but it is worth a shot.

Also, I don't believe in concepts like "Love" and "The one".

Edited by Gym hater

most sXe girls still drink "one drink" when they go back home for social gatherings with their family..

they arent straight edge. they may call themselves straight edge but they arent.

just like vegans who eat whey or meat or eggs...they arent vegan.

sxe gets such a bad rep. most ppl think its a gang or a very violent movement, or that sxe ppl gets all these crazy sxe tatts but still drink or smoke every now and then.

truth is sxe is a positive movement to live life without addictions. to be in control of one's life. true sxe ppl do not break their oath.

I only know a very select few of true edgers. everyone else is fake and in it for the trend.

I've been married for close to 4 years now. I consider myself very lucky, my wife is great.

As far as drinking goes, I nearly always avoid it. On rare occasions I'll have a drink. But, for example I was at a wedding last weekend and I drank orange juice while everyone else was having wine and mixed drinks. I would just rather drink fruit juice than alcohol, because juice tastes better and it's healthier.

Well, almost everyone can be turned vegan. Whether or not someone is vegan is caused by "nurture" and "nature". Everyone is born vegan, so being not vegan has to do with the nurture element. Almost every vegan once was not vegan, so the turning vegan had to have come from nurturing. I am not saying there is a standard way of turning someone vegan, but showing them meat your meat and informing them about nutrition and stuff might do the trick. It may also scare them away, but it is worth a shot.

Also, I don't believe in concepts like "Love" and "The one".

you can't show them "meet your meat" or talk about veganism because they just don't wanna see/hear it. i'm totally fed up with trying to convince other people of veganism, all you get is stupid comments.

sxe gets such a bad rep. most ppl think its a gang or a very violent movement, or that sxe ppl gets all these crazy sxe tatts but still drink or smoke every now and then.

truth is sxe is a positive movement to live life without addictions. to be in control of one's life. true sxe ppl do not break their oath.

I only know a very select few of true edgers. everyone else is fake and in it for the trend.

It's really the Hardliners who get the media attention and give it a bad name. The people who will go to shows and will fight people just because they're holding a beer or they light a cigarette. Crazy.

Love life. ha. Haven't heard that phrase for a while. Like gymhater, I don't believe in "the one". I think that's silly. All you can do, in my opinion, is determine what characteristics are absolutely ESSENTIAL for your happiness and consider the rest inconsequential. And who really cares what one person considers essential. It may be veganism, it may be brown eyes, it may be political activism, it may be nondrinking....Bottom line, the relationship won't work if you aren't happy.

I eschew alcohol, as well. Personal thing with reasoning similar to Richard and Topher. It rather defines me as a person now because this lifestyle choice is "alternative" in society's eyes. So, I feel as though I would relate best to someone who understands the social ackwardness of not drinking. I, too, would be bothered by someone who drank for mind altering effects. An occassional drink wouldn't bother me, I guess, but I'd wonder why it was needed. I've never found alcohol to taste even remotely good.

And crushes? Ha. I have plenty - just none appropriate.

Kollision - you never even answered your own questions.

Haha Single, now and forever. I just havent met someone who I can stand to be around for extended periods of time. And I'm just a weirdo.

My brother and I always joke that we are just really easy to offend. Our mom is mexican and catholic, our dad is white and jewish, our little sister is biracial and adopted from South Africa, we both have really obscure poilitical views, we're both veg ( hes vegetarian im vegan), a majority of people close to us are gay, we are military brats, and we lived overseas for a few years.

Not saying that we really get all pissy and offended easily, it is just really hard to find people that are open minded enough to understand where we are coming from. Especially in Virginia...people can say some ignorant things.

I am cool with casual drinking, but smoking sucks ass, and drugs are a big no. And I can't seem to get around the meat thing either. Maybe i just havent liked certain people enough. i don't know. meat sucks.

My girlfriend and I have been together for a bit over 4 years. We've lived together for 3 years. We'd most likely be married if we could be. We'll get "partnered" (or whatever they are gonna call it) once we move over to the UK.

When we met, she was an omni (and I was vegetarian). But she cares about animals a lot, and she didn't eat very much meat and never at home, so I didn't need to worry about having meat around the house or anything like that. One year ago she went vegetarian. She totally wants to be vegan and understands all the reasons for being one. Right now she's in a place where her conscience and her willpower are not in the same place. But I do think she'll go vegan one day. And she has said that if we were to have kids she would want to raise them vegan.

All in all, then, she's very supportive and respectful of my veganism. I have no problem being with her although she is not a vegan herself. Like I said, I do think she will be one eventually, but I am not going to pressure her and if she never is one that will also be okay with me.