Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What religion do you associate yourself with?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:43 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
1. What were you born into?
2. What are you now?
3. What made you change? (if you did)
4. What are your ideas on religions in general?

Lets try and not debate here, just speak your mind. If you have a question, feel free to ask. No, "My religion (or lack thereof) is right, yours is wrong" deal. You personally know that your faith is right therefore don't try and change others, because they are in the same position as you.

Heres my stuff:


1. I was born into a Trinitarian Christian home. I say Trinitarian because there are Unitarian Christians that do not believe that Jesus is God and the Trinity ideas.

2. I am a Muslim. I don't belong to any sects such as Sunni or Shia. I just live as a Muslim (submitter in Arabic) and read various religious literature but the Quran is what matches my belief. I also consider myself Christian because I believe in what Christ taught (just not a lot of things in the New Testament) as well as other religions that fall in line with believing in One God. I personally refer to them as Muslims as well because in the Qu'ran and more importantly myself, if they submit themselves to God and not their own personal desires, then they are the same no matter if it's labelled under a certain name.

I don't view Muhammed as greater than Jesus or the other way around. Some Muslims do this but I do not agree with it. I just worship God and leave it at that. I have respect for them, but thats it.

I also believe that if you are born into a religion, that isn't really your religion. I think that it is sort of brain washing because they have no choice to go on their own path. If I ever had kids, I would teach them my beliefs but never force it on them. I would have them do their own search for God, as it is their own journey to undertake.

3. Without getting into much detail (because I don't want to come across as I stated at the top) I changed because even as a Christian I had a lot of questions in regards to the Trinity and stuff like that. A lot of my beliefs fell in line with Islam before I even researched what Islam was. Also Islam talks about animals and stuff. They are from God, and will return to God when all ends. Islam even says that the animals worship God, while some people do. It even says that they have their own mode of prayer, while we do not know. Something I really agreed with before converting, and now I am at peace with my belief of that.

4. My ideas of religion in general is power. With religion, you can gain control of others and control their thinking. What you say goes basically. I think religion is man made and they group their beliefs into something and others group their beliefs into something else. I really do not believe in the concept of religion, just in God.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:31 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 2783
1.Raised in episcopal church till sometime when parents switched to a methodist church in the town they live in.

2. Have been an atheist for about a decade, and dont see that changing. I do believe there can be ghosts and UFOs though. They have nothing to do with god IMO.

3. Around 5th grade I realized I felt nothing from church and had just been going through the motions. Later became aware that the people I encountered at church were very shallow and were just keeping up appearances on sunday. I didnt want to be a part of a community of fakes. I also developed a strong sense of self and figured I did not need anyone but myself, I am the only one I can count on. Also no fire and brimstone sermons, gotta love that stuff cuz they are like death metal songs.

4. I hope practitioners get what they are looking for from their religion, and I hope that these people that are religious do great things for others. My only problem religion is not even with religion itself but with the people that say they are one thing then do something opposite of what they should believe....like Christian politicans that start wars and make taxes (murder and theft). However religions are so ambiguous you can justify anything with them which is an idea I got from a lecture on terrorism (there have even been buddhist terrorists). I feel the religions themselves all serve the same purpose(s) and none is better than the other. Some of the religious tenets I have incorporated into my life or at least some of my beliefs are in common with different religions. These are just a matter of who I have made myself to be, not a matter of dogma from some institution.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What religion do you associate yourself with?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:51 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:53 pm
Posts: 1115
Location: poconos, pa
kollision wrote:
1. What were you born into?
2. What are you now?
3. What made you change? (if you did)
4. What are your ideas on religions in general?



1. Catholicism
2. no idea...
3. personal reasons. Let "God" judge me not other humans.
4. religion used for the purposes of helping others and bettering oneself is fine. but religion used for greed, and power is wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What religion do you associate yourself with?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:38 am 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:31 am
Posts: 275
Location: The Netherlands
kollision wrote:
1. What were you born into?
2. What are you now?
3. What made you change? (if you did)
4. What are your ideas on religions in general?


1. nothing
2. I am not practicing it, but buddhism is just wonderful to me.
3. I actually didn't change, but I would never choose any religion, because I really don't believe that there is a God or that I have to live my life in a way just because it is written in a book.
4. Not to offend anyone, but any religion (I mean one with a God or a book to live for) sucks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:28 am 
Code:
1. What were you born into?
2. What are you now?
3. What made you change? (if you did)
4. What are your ideas on religions in general?


  1. Roman Catholic
  2. A street head
  3. i didn't get touched up by the priest
  4. i look upon all religions/followers with equal disdain


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:37 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Let's try to keep our distastes of other religions with ourselves and not on this board please? I already mentioned that. Have respect for others beliefs if you want respect for yourself. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it. I don't want any fights erupting here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:44 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 2783
But what do we do if our complaint is a key answer to one of your questions?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:47 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
CollegeB wrote:
But what do we do if our complaint is a key answer to one of your questions?


Not you College, I was talking about Jza. Cracking jokes and being informal. If you got something to say, just take Nobbi's approach besides saying "sucks". It's ok to express your beliefs, but don't be informal about it. There are other people on this board, not just ourself, so we should show discretion and have respect for others who may be reading. We would like the same, so lets treat it the same as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:10 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:39 pm
Posts: 1108
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
1. Atheist
2. Atheist
3. N/A
4. I have to agree with Jza. Maybe not equal disdain (Budhism can be pretty cool) but Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Hinduism have a huge amount to answer for.

jonathan

_________________
Squat
Press
Eat
Repeat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:11 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
jonathan wrote:
1. Atheist
2. Atheist
3. N/A
4. I have to agree with Jza. Maybe not equal disdain (Budhism can be pretty cool) but Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Hinduism have a huge amount to answer for.

jonathan


Answer for? What do you mean?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:14 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:39 pm
Posts: 1108
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
kollision wrote:
jonathan wrote:
1. Atheist
2. Atheist
3. N/A
4. I have to agree with Jza. Maybe not equal disdain (Budhism can be pretty cool) but Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Hinduism have a huge amount to answer for.

jonathan


Answer for? What do you mean?


greed, oppression, persecution, war, ethnic cleansing, discrimination - i can give you examples for every religion if needs be.
this is ignoring the fact that every one is ideologically similar, its just a case of 'brand preference'.

jonathan

_________________
Squat
Press
Eat
Repeat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:15 am 
while fundamentals within the religions often have good intentions, followers of them often commit acts that are less than desireable to be a better "insert generic religion name here" and those that preach/hold positions of power within said religions are all too often guilty of using their followers faith as a tool or even teaching ignorance.

although i'm anti krishna/buddhist/hindi equally as much as any of the other religions


the only one i like is rastafari because they make pre-tense about it, they're openly hating on whites and gays...which is just kinda funny on one level.... even though i'm white and a shitload of my friends and colleagues are gay.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:18 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
jonathan wrote:
kollision wrote:
jonathan wrote:
1. Atheist
2. Atheist
3. N/A
4. I have to agree with Jza. Maybe not equal disdain (Budhism can be pretty cool) but Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Hinduism have a huge amount to answer for.

jonathan


Answer for? What do you mean?


greed, oppression, persecution, war, ethnic cleansing, discrimination - i can give you examples for every religion if needs be.
this is ignoring the fact that every one is ideologically similar, its just a case of 'brand preference'.

jonathan


It's the people that corrupts it, not necessarily the religion itself. If you are to use these as examples, this should apply to everyone and not religion, but the person that claims to follow it.

It's like if Vegans were to become greedy or the other things you put. Vegan isn't what is wrong, but the people that claim it and mess up the name. Some vegans or animal rights people would say this to the ALF and other organizations of the kind (I aint denouncing the ALF, just giving an example). So it's not necessarily the organization or religion, just the people that make it up.

Veganism and Animal Rights is looked down upon for several reasons, one of them being the one I just mentioned to you. Also how some vegans are stuck up, judgemental, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:27 am 
it mat be the people that corrupt it and not the religion, but all religions are rather dependent on having people as members to sustain their existence
so they're immediately tied into that...


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:40 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Jza wrote:
it mat be the people that corrupt it and not the religion, but all religions are rather dependent on having people as members to sustain their existence
so they're immediately tied into that...


How are religions dependant on having people to sustain their existance? This would be the same with Veganism since without people to join it, there would be no veganism.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group