The Biggest Loser

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
CrispyQ
Gorilla
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am
Location: Boulder, Colorado

The Biggest Loser

#1 Postby CrispyQ » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:54 pm

I'm not big on reality shows, but I do enjoy tuning into the last 30 minutes of "The Biggest Loser" & watching the weekly weigh-in. Tonight one of the guys lost 26 pounds in one week. Of course his starting weight was 226, but still! Overall, he's lost 99 pounds. He hardly looks the same!

Ok Nat! I know we are not supposed to focus on the scale! :P
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/

User avatar
willpeavy
Elephant
Posts: 1810
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: florida
Contact:

#2 Postby willpeavy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:40 pm

26 pounds in one week? No way. That's impossible
[url=http://willpeavy.net/:34olz5pn]willpeavy.net[/url:34olz5pn]

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#3 Postby compassionategirl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:51 pm

willpeavy wrote:26 pounds in one week? No way. That's impossible


ya that cannot be right. Even if you starved and deydrated yourself, you still couldnt lose 26 pounds in a week.

Glad to see that you are remembering my advice: "Calling all women: Throw out your scale, its not your friend! Go with inches, body fat %, how clothes are fitting, how you look and most importantly, how you feel" :D :wink: 8)

kollision
Elephant
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#4 Postby kollision » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:55 pm

I love this show. They all look so fantastic at the end. Man, what fat can do to your appearance...

Aaron
Elephant
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 pm
Location: Portland, OR

#5 Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:20 am

I like this show too... has me leaning back towards PT over teaching... although the weight focus is a bit rought. But at their size I think it's probably good :)

User avatar
chesty leroux
Elephant
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, VA

#6 Postby chesty leroux » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:36 am

I really loved last season. This semester I have class tuesday nights so i have to miss it. And that makes me bitter.
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

User avatar
veganmadre
Elephant
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

#7 Postby veganmadre » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:10 am

Ha. I watched the first season while pregnant. And since it was on Tuesdays and Dominos Pizza had two for one pizzas on Tuesday nights, we'd order pizza and watch them munching on carrots. Mwa ha hahaha. I have a sick sense of humor. I guess we can all see why I was so hefty before.... :? :shock: :wink:
Making Prudish Americans Uncomfortable - one photo at a time.

User avatar
robert
Site Admin
Posts: 21053
Age: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

#8 Postby robert » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:19 am

willpeavy wrote:
26 pounds in one week? No way. That's impossible


I know bodybuilders who gain 30 pounds over 48 or 72 hours! I know it sounds crazy, but it really happens. So It may be possible to drop that much weight in a week. I think it's easier to gain because some really big bodybuilders will drop around 40-60 pounds before a bodybuilding contest (which is pretty crazy and I don't suggest it) and then within even just one day they can add 20 pounds....mostly due to the fact that they were very dehydrated and have a huge frame to begin with so 20 isn't that much.

I dropped about 13 pounds over a couple of weeks and within 2 days I gained 10 back (mostly just water, if not all water and a tiny bit of food weight).

So, maybe it is possible :?: ---- :arrow: -------- :idea: ------- :P

But that kind of crazy dieting in bodybuilding is pretty extreme and I don't do it. My bodyweight doesn't change too much between off-season and contest time. That 13 pounds I dropped is pretty much the most, except for in 2003 when I dropped nearly 20 lbs, but it was over a few months.

-Rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

User avatar
sinisterkungfu
Gorilla
Posts: 533
Age: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm

#9 Postby sinisterkungfu » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:00 am

robert wrote:
willpeavy wrote:
26 pounds in one week? No way. That's impossible


I know bodybuilders who gain 30 pounds over 48 or 72 hours! I know it sounds crazy, but it really happens. So It may be possible to drop that much weight in a week.


Absolutely. Fighters and people who compete in classed events cut weight all the time. If you saw the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, one of the guys cut 20 lbs in less than 12 hours. Of course it's pretty much all water weight so it comes right back, but it is possible to do.

User avatar
FormicaLinoleum
Elephant
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: London, UK

#10 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:41 am

26 pounds is 91,000 calories. That works out to a deficit of 13,000 calories per day to lose that amount in one week.

Yeah, that shouldn't be possible. But it happens. And it's not just one week. On this show, people will lose like 100 pounds over the course of several weeks.

So how does it happen? If we're talking about consistent large weight loss over many weeks, it can't be all water weight because there isn't that much water weight for us to lose! Is there? I know these folks exercise a whole lot and eat carefully... but that still can't be leading to 10,000+ calorie deficits per day, so what's going on?
My 2012 Training Log

Michelle
Elephant
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

#11 Postby Michelle » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:43 am

I had never heard of this show until last night. I was on the elliptical trainer at the gym, and the show was on one of the TV's I was watching. It took me a little while to figure out what it was all about, but it seems like a cool show. Inspiring.

kollision
Elephant
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#12 Postby kollision » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:45 am

FormicaLinoleum wrote:26 pounds is 91,000 calories. That works out to a deficit of 13,000 calories per day to lose that amount in one week.

Yeah, that shouldn't be possible. But it happens. And it's not just one week. On this show, people will lose like 100 pounds over the course of several weeks.

So how does it happen? If we're talking about consistent large weight loss over many weeks, it can't be all water weight because there isn't that much water weight for us to lose! Is there? I know these folks exercise a whole lot and eat carefully... but that still can't be leading to 10,000+ calorie deficits per day, so what's going on?


Also take into account the water that is on them, and the basal metabolic rate. Also, after work out, muscle can burn about 55 calories for the day. It all starts to add up :wink: But ya, it does look a bit too much.

User avatar
veganmadre
Elephant
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

#13 Postby veganmadre » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:25 am

sinisterkungfu wrote:
robert wrote:
willpeavy wrote:
26 pounds in one week? No way. That's impossible


I know bodybuilders who gain 30 pounds over 48 or 72 hours! I know it sounds crazy, but it really happens. So It may be possible to drop that much weight in a week.


Absolutely. Fighters and people who compete in classed events cut weight all the time. If you saw the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, one of the guys cut 20 lbs in less than 12 hours. Of course it's pretty much all water weight so it comes right back, but it is possible to do.


I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT YOU BROUGHT THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER INTO THIS THREAD!! heheh. :D
Making Prudish Americans Uncomfortable - one photo at a time.

User avatar
CrispyQ
Gorilla
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am
Location: Boulder, Colorado

#14 Postby CrispyQ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:27 am

willpeavy wrote:26 pounds in one week? No way. That's impossible


He said he went with a radically different approach this week than what he had been doing the previous weeks. But since I only tune in at the end of the show, I don't know what he did. It may have been discussed earlier in the show.

Michelle, you said you caught the show. Do you recall if he talked about his different approach compared to what he had been doing? It will be interesting to see what his weigh in is next week.


Anyway, the look on his face after his weigh in -- it was one of those triumphant moments we've all felt when we accomplish something we've worked really hard for. I was so happy for him!
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/

User avatar
sinisterkungfu
Gorilla
Posts: 533
Age: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm

#15 Postby sinisterkungfu » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:47 am

veganmadre wrote:
sinisterkungfu wrote:
robert wrote:
willpeavy wrote:
26 pounds in one week? No way. That's impossible


I know bodybuilders who gain 30 pounds over 48 or 72 hours! I know it sounds crazy, but it really happens. So It may be possible to drop that much weight in a week.


Absolutely. Fighters and people who compete in classed events cut weight all the time. If you saw the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, one of the guys cut 20 lbs in less than 12 hours. Of course it's pretty much all water weight so it comes right back, but it is possible to do.


I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT YOU BROUGHT THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER INTO THIS THREAD!! heheh. :D


It was the most relevant example I could think of. :D


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests