The Biggest Loser

CrispyQ

I'm not big on reality shows, but I do enjoy tuning into the last 30 minutes of "The Biggest Loser" & watching the weekly weigh-in. Tonight one of the guys lost 26 pounds in one week. Of course his starting weight was 226, but still! Overall, he's lost 99 pounds. He hardly looks the same!

Ok Nat! I know we are not supposed to focus on the scale!

26 pounds in one week? No way. That's impossible

ya that cannot be right. Even if you starved and deydrated yourself, you still couldnt lose 26 pounds in a week.

Glad to see that you are remembering my advice: "Calling all women: Throw out your scale, its not your friend! Go with inches, body fat %, how clothes are fitting, how you look and most importantly, how you feel"

Ha. I watched the first season while pregnant. And since it was on Tuesdays and Dominos Pizza had two for one pizzas on Tuesday nights, we'd order pizza and watch them munching on carrots. Mwa ha hahaha. I have a sick sense of humor. I guess we can all see why I was so hefty before....

willpeavy wrote:

I know bodybuilders who gain 30 pounds over 48 or 72 hours! I know it sounds crazy, but it really happens. So It may be possible to drop that much weight in a week. I think it's easier to gain because some really big bodybuilders will drop around 40-60 pounds before a bodybuilding contest (which is pretty crazy and I don't suggest it) and then within even just one day they can add 20 pounds....mostly due to the fact that they were very dehydrated and have a huge frame to begin with so 20 isn't that much.

I dropped about 13 pounds over a couple of weeks and within 2 days I gained 10 back (mostly just water, if not all water and a tiny bit of food weight).

So, maybe it is possible ---- -------- -------

But that kind of crazy dieting in bodybuilding is pretty extreme and I don't do it. My bodyweight doesn't change too much between off-season and contest time. That 13 pounds I dropped is pretty much the most, except for in 2003 when I dropped nearly 20 lbs, but it was over a few months.

-Rob

willpeavy wrote:

I know bodybuilders who gain 30 pounds over 48 or 72 hours! I know it sounds crazy, but it really happens. So It may be possible to drop that much weight in a week.

Absolutely. Fighters and people who compete in classed events cut weight all the time. If you saw the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, one of the guys cut 20 lbs in less than 12 hours. Of course it's pretty much all water weight so it comes right back, but it is possible to do.

26 pounds is 91,000 calories. That works out to a deficit of 13,000 calories per day to lose that amount in one week.

Yeah, that shouldn't be possible. But it happens. And it's not just one week. On this show, people will lose like 100 pounds over the course of several weeks.

So how does it happen? If we're talking about consistent large weight loss over many weeks, it can't be all water weight because there isn't that much water weight for us to lose! Is there? I know these folks exercise a whole lot and eat carefully... but that still can't be leading to 10,000+ calorie deficits per day, so what's going on?

26 pounds is 91,000 calories. That works out to a deficit of 13,000 calories per day to lose that amount in one week.

Yeah, that shouldn't be possible. But it happens. And it's not just one week. On this show, people will lose like 100 pounds over the course of several weeks.

So how does it happen? If we're talking about consistent large weight loss over many weeks, it can't be all water weight because there isn't that much water weight for us to lose! Is there? I know these folks exercise a whole lot and eat carefully... but that still can't be leading to 10,000+ calorie deficits per day, so what's going on?

Also take into account the water that is on them, and the basal metabolic rate. Also, after work out, muscle can burn about 55 calories for the day. It all starts to add up But ya, it does look a bit too much.

willpeavy wrote:

I know bodybuilders who gain 30 pounds over 48 or 72 hours! I know it sounds crazy, but it really happens. So It may be possible to drop that much weight in a week.

Absolutely. Fighters and people who compete in classed events cut weight all the time. If you saw the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, one of the guys cut 20 lbs in less than 12 hours. Of course it's pretty much all water weight so it comes right back, but it is possible to do.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT YOU BROUGHT THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER INTO THIS THREAD!! heheh.

He said he went with a radically different approach this week than what he had been doing the previous weeks. But since I only tune in at the end of the show, I don't know what he did. It may have been discussed earlier in the show.

Michelle, you said you caught the show. Do you recall if he talked about his different approach compared to what he had been doing? It will be interesting to see what his weigh in is next week.

Anyway, the look on his face after his weigh in -- it was one of those triumphant moments we've all felt when we accomplish something we've worked really hard for. I was so happy for him!

willpeavy wrote:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT YOU BROUGHT THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER INTO THIS THREAD!! heheh.

It was the most relevant example I could think of.

I think it's entirely possible. I lost 17 pounds (135lbs to 118lbs) in one week, when I was in my late teens. I had just come back from several weeks visiting relatives, where all we really had to do was sit around (I think I knitted an entire sweater during one of those weeks of the visit) and eat and eat all day long. And it wasn't healthy food, either... it was cinnamon rolls, cookies, and a bunch of fried crap.

When I got home, I rode my bicycle a lot, and ate considerably less. Within a week, I'd lost a bunch... and I didn't feel like I'd starved or overworked myself. Although - I was an invincible teenager still.

• 2 weeks later...