Vegan Vacation Destination?

robert

Vegan Vacation in Caribbean or US (CA or FL)  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've been planning on vacationing in the Caribbean for our Vegan Vacation 2006, but an idea came up about having it in California or Florida, where it may be cheaper, we could still have that feel of sunny vacation and do lots of water/beach activities and will have more vegan options and better training facilities. This event will be taking place in July or August of 2006. We hope to see many of you there.

So what should we do? Stick with Caribbean plans or go out to California or Florida?

All input and ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Robert

aye aye, cap. when me finds me treasure in pittsburgh,argh, me gathrin me matey, michael, and me makin me trip to me caribbean.

Aye, me n me buffer will be settin sail mid-summer. Load the frigate with booty and haul wind to the carribean we will. Arrrr!!!!

Top Ten Pickup lines for use on International Talk Like a Pirate Day

10 . Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

9. Have ya ever met a man with a real yardarm?

8. Come on up and see me urchins.

7. Yes, that is a hornpipe in my pocket and I am happy to see you.

6. I'd love to drop anchor in your lagoon.

5. Pardon me, but would ya mind if fired me cannon through your porthole?

4. How'd you like to scrape the barnacles off of me rudder?

3. Ya know, darlin’, I’m 97 percent chum free.

2. Well blow me down?

And the number one pickup line for use on International Talk Like a Pirate Day is …

1. Prepare to be boarded.

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/gallows/954/fsuns/pirspeak.htm

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/howto.html#advanced

Load the frigate

Where exactly are we going to get 24-38 pound guns???

Edit:

Ha Ha. Just found these for the ladies!

8. Come show me how ye bury yer treasure, lad!

4. I've crushed seventeen men's skulls between me thighs!

3. C'mon, lad, shiver me timbers!

...and the number one Female Pirate Pick-up Line:

1. You. Pants Off. Now!

thanks miCHAel. now, back to work...

Edited by veganmadre

If the company is going to be the same, regardless of location, then I don't care where the location is!

Maybe everyone interested should figure out what they are willing to spend and go from there ?

I like this idea. I'm most interested in the Caribbean, but ultimately the cost is what's going to dictate whether I am able to attend.

• 1 month later...

Any other suggestions?

I'm going to try to nail down a destination within the next couple of weeks, so if you hope to attend and want to express your opinion please give feedback. I know the dates and location may not match everyone's schedule but what I'll try to do is get a list of everyone who is at least a bit interested and then work it out to accomodate the most people.

Any other location ideas or thoughts?

-Robert

If I can make this I would ideally like to go to California.

Financially I think Florida may be cheapest for me coming from the UK, although peak season it will work out expensive for me regardless of the final destination. Florida may be a bit too Disneyish for me, but it's a big state, scratch beneath the surface, and I'm sure there are lot's of good places we could hang out a bit more away from the tourist hordes???

Never been the US so I'll enjoy it wherever the vacation is if I can make it.

I'm thinking Southern California may be the most practical and have the most opporuntity to do awesome things. I mean come-on Gold's Gym in Venice....the Mecca of Bodybuilding! Where Arnold and all the Greats trained and still train! The mountains, the ocean, the vegan scene, the athletic scene, the Hollywood scene, etc.

I had my mind set on the Caribbean, but Southern Cali may be the cheapest and I might be able to arrage FREE places for us to stay, or cheap places (1/4th the cost of Carribbean as far as staying).

Something I'll think about.

What do you all think of Southern California?

St. John/St. Thomas vs. Southern California Where's it gonna be

R B

All systems are Go. I'll see what I can figure out. It still looks like the Caribbean is getting the most interest, but I will wait all week to hear from the people are seriously planning on attending and then I can go from there. I know people in LA, and around that area, so there is a possiblility I can get places for us to stay for free or pretty cheap.

So those seriously planning on hanging with us this summer, be sure to give some input within the next week so I can sort it out.

Thanks!

Rob

Caribbean still has the most votes, but Southern California is the most practical and could be totally cheap, and have the best facilities for training, vegan options, and will also have beach, mountains/hills, etc.

All week long I'll get in touch with all the people who are seriously interested and hopefully in 7-10 days I can announce the location, the dates, and we'll go from there. We already have a pretty detailed list of things to do, but we can make it specific to the area we are in. So I'll wait and find out where that might be.

I know Southern California might not sound quite as exciting as the Caribbean, but I think it can be. I've been to both, and for what our goals are, Cali would actually be much better.

The whole point is to get together in person, so really when it comes down to it any location works.....like the Vegan Fitness Team just met in my home town and it was great just to be together. But out in Hollywood could provide some really good times!

I guess as I type it seems I'm leaning toward Hollywood/LA/Santa Monica area because I just think it will be easier to organize, more beneficial, and more cost effective.....and it's not like its a bad vacation spot either. We're talking Hollywood and Southern Cali beaches, gyms and restuarants.

Anymore feedback/suggestions from those interested?

Thanks,

Rob

Yes, something to consider I've been there, it is beautiful. I feel that it may be very expensive though?

cafenervosa, we should talk (write) more about this.

I've also been in touch with a few people in St. John/St. Thomas area about organizing something, but they are not vegan or part of our forum.

I have been leaning toward Southern California and talking with many vegans over there, but we're still open to discussion and I hope to finalize something by the end of the week.

So let's keep the ideas flowing!

-Robert

This is a post from Cafenervosa. I don't really know how to "move" topics so I just copied and pasted it. It is regarding the Vegan Vacation:

I have been asked to share some info with you all on the boards here about the Vegan Vacation 2006.

If you may or may not know I currently reside in Grand Cayman and work as a production director for CITN the caribbean news television station Cayman 27.

Apparently there is still some debate about where to hold your VV 2006: whether it be in Cal. or the Caribbean. Well, I would like to extend an offer to come to Grand Cayman and I have a couple of compelling reasons to consider it...

1. I could get you television, radio, and newspaper coverage here about the event as my friend and co-worker is the news director of Cayman 27 and is very interested in becoming vegan and admires the fact that I am.

She has already expressed great interest in covering such an event in our local news here.

2. This would be an unprecedented event here in Grand Cayman and I can tell you from first hand experience, the people here need to have their awarness raised considerably about animal rights and personal health and the tremendous impact not being vegan makes on the world.

3. This would hopefull encourage more restraunts and businesses here to begin catering to vegans. Most of the business here were wiped out by Ivan in 2004 and the ones that have come back could use some exposure to a new way of thinking and seeing things (vegan lifestyles).

4. I have a good friend who owns a travel agency and would be able to steer me in the right direction to find some nice affordable accomodations for everyone here on the island.

On the down side: yes it is rather expensive here, however if you come in the summer the prices go down considerably. But you will be coming during hurricane season.

You would need to get passports if you don't already have one.

And we drive on the left side of the road here (the wrong side if your American ) and the traffic and drivers here are rather out of control. But you can rent bikes to tour the island...

But if you dive or love the water, this is definitely the place to be. It's postcard beautiful and the people are friendly, and I could use the company!!

Where is Grand Cayman?

Grand Cayman is the tiniest little dot of an island about 50 miles south of Cuba and about 30 miles northwest of Jamacia. The Cayman Islands are 3 islands about 100 miles apart. Grand Cayman is the largest at 21 miles from end to end. And the other two are Cayman Brac at about 10 miles end to end and Little Cayman at 7 miles end to end. It's in the Caribbean Ocean, but technically boarders the West Indian Ocean, so it's referred to as the British West Indies. It's a British Colony, so all you Brits can come here w/o a passport, just proof of British residency.

Sorry if I was a bit long winded there...