What Material Things Best Define A Person?

robert

I was listening to the radio today and heard something from a jewelry company I think saying, "nothing defines a person more than the watch they wear"

I thought that was kinda weird and I was thinking to myself, what material things best define a person?

Their car? Their shoes? Their Jewelry? Their House?

Or do material things not play a role in defining someone? It is really more their ethics, morals, values, beliefs, or all they all combined with material things too?

Just something I was thinking about because I know we do judge people based on the types of material things they own.

For example, you'd probably react differently to someone you see wearing a fur coat than you would someone driving a bio-diesel vehicle.

Or something simple like someone wearing Nike shoes vs. someone wearing New Balance, or perhaps some shoes from veganessentials.com or another source of vegan shoes.

Anyway, kinda random, but does anyone have any thoughts on this.....what really BEST defines who we are. I'm kinda convinced it's not a wrist watch

-Rob

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that the watch someone wears can define them as a person. That's silly. I do think you can learn alot about people from what they own, but I don't think people can be defined by it. Thats the heart of shallow and why people spend $1500 on a purse, or why everyone has an SUV. We have a really materialistic society in America.

It's really an interesting issue. Because for most people how you dress is a way of self expression. And I would react differently to someone in a fur coat vs. a bio diesel car. I wanted to squirt ketchup on a fur hag that came into my work last night.

However, I think what really defines us is our actions. How we treat other people, even how we treat ourselves. And you can look at it that what we wear is a result of our actions i.e. buying it for whatever reason so it all ties in.

Haha I make no sense.

I think people can represent their values by what they own, but I dont think many people are really that insightful and conscious of themselves. Most just hear the ad and believe it. They are too far gone to consider who they are and the purpose and meaning of their existence.

I think that anything visual will not be an accurate guide for judging what a person is like. But I'd say out of the visual things, the eyes and eyebrows are generally the things which seem to be most accurate and most connected to what the person is about. My first reaction to the eyes is generally correct, although it's still not 100% accurate. Better to learn what people are like, by learning about them!

Rob, I thought healthy food defined a person .

I think it is a person's character and actions that define them. I think it is more than a little sad that people actually define themselves and others based on material things, esp. something as meaningless as a watch. I would feel really empty if I lived my life that way.

I agree, generally, that material things dont define a person but I cannot help coming back to the fur coat and biodiesel examples provided above, which may indeed provide insight into a person's character.

For example, a fur coat means, to me, that the wearer is either uninformed/ignorant, or unmerciful and cruel (exception being people in the Arctic and stuff I suppose).

Yes Daniel, you are correct: Healthy Food Defines You

That has been our Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness slogan since 2002.

I just thought it was an interesting topic because I heard such a silly commercial stating nothing was more important in defining a person than their wrist watch.

I was curious to what others thought matters most and it is interesting to read the replies.

Although I don't think material stuff matters that much to me (ask Topher, I wear the same clothing outfit pretty much everyday ) and I never buy anything other than food. But I do think you can tell quite a bit about someone based on some of the things they own, to some extent - the way they dress, and material items that matter most to them. Like I said, I'm not too concerned with material things that are bought, but I do use certain items to "define who I am."

For example, my outfit I wear everyday is my VEGAN hat, my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness t-shirt or sweatshirt (sorry only have 2 VB&F sweatshrirts and they're both mine), and a pair of vegan shoes. Oh, and sometimes I wear pants if the occasion calls for it, such as going anywhere in public

So those items written in large letters help define me so people will have some sort of idea about what I might be interested in before ever speaking with me.

Of course, it's the other things that are MOST important to me: Respect, integrity, accountabilty, morals and ethics and stuff like that.

It is such a shame to see so many people (especially high school or college age) obsessed with material things and judging others....but I think it is just that age, people tend to grow out of it. Then they actually have some sort of thought about how the things they buy or use affect others like our animal friends.

So, this topic is kind of interesting, thanks for the feedback.

-Rob

I usually define a person based on the way they treat others

But yeah I think most people care a lot about your watch, house, career, etc. You don't see a whole lot of doctors hanging out with garbage men

You also won't see a whole lot of Garbage Men who would approach a Doctor at a gathering to socialize.

I think a lot of people seek other people who, dress similar, drive similar cars, live in like neighborhoods etc.

I get a lot of looks when I am around some of my friends. I rarely have time to go out, but I dress different and speak in a different manner than many of my friends. I have a friend who has dread locks and looks as if she just walked out of the Yoga room all the time, Another who is a bit overweight and wears no makeup, I have always chosen to be surrounded by those I respect. Therefore I never am approach or seek out conversation with many until I have observed their behavior. However, I would not consider this to be the norm for society.

For example, my outfit I wear everyday is my VEGAN hat, my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness t-shirt or sweatshirt (sorry only have 2 VB&F sweatshirts and they're both mine)and a pair of vegan shoes. Oh, and sometimes I wear pants if the occasion calls for it, such as going anywhere in public

Greedy punk

Pants are overated, keep them off.

Vegan Bodybuilding and Pantless!

"Pants are overated, keep them off.

Vegan Bodybuilding and Pantless!"

HAHAHAHA I love it! I think I'll use that sometime

Maybe my next pick-up line when I'm telling somenoe about my fitness company and website

Thin Thin Pantless Him

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/images/new2003/new3.jpg

And if you're not wearing a speedo (posing trunks in most cases), at least pull your shorts up like this everywhere you go.

http://myspace-508.vo.llnwd.net/00176/80/58/176408508_l.jpg

You can tell a lot about someone by the things they wear and the things they own, but really getting to know someone is still the best way to find out who they are.

SpongeRob NoPants

I was listening to the radio today and heard something from a jewelry company I think saying, "nothing defines a person more than the watch they wear"

I thought that was kinda weird and I was thinking to myself, what material things best define a person?

My girlfriend and I discussed the same ad, though it was run on TV. Goes something like, 'it isn't the car you drive, or the neighborhood you live in.. etc etc, it is the watch you wear.' Give me a break!

The only people who will think that is a good commercial and think about buying a watch for their loved one is a materialistic idiot. Unfortunately, that is most of america

I cannot belive commercials like that, as if a watch can define who you are. A watch that costs the same as my used van, no doubt. I see someone with a nice watch and think 'look at that jerk with the expensive watch'

I hear ya Tyler.

I think the same things. It just made me think of "what actually defines someone" other than Healthy Food

I don't mean to sound anti-America because I don't think I am....but sometimes I get sick and tired of things that are "valued" in America. I've been to 31 countries so I have been around the block a time or two so I'm not just throwing that out there, but I think we can learn a lot from other cultures but we don't seem interested.

Pretty sweet watch commecial eh?

-SpongeRob NoPants

Actually, on a man, his watch is one of the first material things I notice. (as in, aside from physical attributes)

When my ex graduated college, I bought him a $500 watch, the best I could afford at the time. It's not much by watch standards, but certainly nice enough to be respectable.

I can see buying relatively expensive clothes in order to look and feel good. But cheap watches look and "feel" just as good as expensive ones. Expensive watches seem to serve absolutely no purpose other than to say, "Hey, I'm a rich asshole! Respect me!" I find them obscene. I was fucking pissed when my mom once bought me a 200 dollar watch. I refused to wear it.

I can see buying relatively expensive clothes in order to look and feel good. But cheap watches look and "feel" just as good as expensive ones.

In my experience that's not true. Some expensive watches are just expensive pieces of crap with a label on them, others are of significantly better craftsmanship and quality, and you can often tell just by looking at them even if you can't see the maker. Comparing the watch I bought vs. the one he had previously, the difference in quality was clear. It also is guaranteed for life; he can take it to any jewelry store if there's ever a problem and it will be fixed no questions asked.

Undeniably, it's a status symbol. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of a person. Nonetheless, I notice, and among the general public, I'm not alone in that. Men generally wear little jewelry, so watches stand out.

If someone's spent considerably more than was necessary on something which is totally unnecessary, it makes me think they have their priorities messed up. But I wouldn't have this opinion of them until I was certain about the situation, and that they are the ones who bought the item, and that it wasn't bought for them. A friend of mine spent about £80 or £90 on sun glasses (which is about $150 - $160). I think that's totally ridiculous and I told him so over and over again. Buy a pair for £5 or even £2 and they will do exactly the same job, and they won't make you look stupid.

I have a $200 watch. I don't think having it means I'm a materialistic a*hole or anything like that. The watch is solar powered so I never have to wind it or worry about batteries. It has a steel band so it's pretty indestructable. It has a lifetime warranty. The way I see it, I spent $200 on this watch, and I should never have to go watch shopping again for the rest of my life, which is good because I think shopping is a pain. If the watch lasts 50 years, I've basically paid $4 a year for it. If I bought a cheaper watch I might have to go shopping again in a few years, so I would rather just go shopping once and buy something of good quality. If someone wants to think I'm a jerk or whatever for wearing it, then too bad. They'll just have to hate me.

I don't think a 200 dollar necessarily makes you an asshole, just a 500. It is possible that at 200 you are paying for some useful fancy solar powered etc stuff to get something that is worth the price in the long run. I don't think that is possible at 500 dollars. My 200 dollar watch though was just pretty and that's it.

As far as people noticing it Meggy, I purposely used to wear ten dollar watches because I hoped it might help keep the wrong type of people away from me. Unfortunately 10 dollar watches break too quick so now I wear a 30 dollar one.