Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:26 am 
Site Admin

And if you're not wearing a speedo (posing trunks in most cases), at least pull your shorts up like this everywhere you go.

You can tell a lot about someone by the things they wear and the things they own, but really getting to know someone is still the best way to find out who they are.

SpongeRob NoPants

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject: Re: What Material Things Best Define A Person?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:28 pm 
Rabbit

robert wrote:
I was listening to the radio today and heard something from a jewelry company I think saying, "nothing defines a person more than the watch they wear"

I thought that was kinda weird and I was thinking to myself, what material things best define a person?

My girlfriend and I discussed the same ad, though it was run on TV. Goes something like, 'it isn't the car you drive, or the neighborhood you live in.. etc etc, it is the watch you wear.' Give me a break!

The only people who will think that is a good commercial and think about buying a watch for their loved one is a materialistic idiot. Unfortunately, that is most of america :roll:

I cannot belive commercials like that, as if a watch can define who you are. A watch that costs the same as my used van, no doubt. I see someone with a nice watch and think 'look at that jerk with the expensive watch' :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

I hear ya Tyler.

I think the same things. It just made me think of "what actually defines someone" other than Healthy Food :)

I don't mean to sound anti-America because I don't think I am....but sometimes I get sick and tired of things that are "valued" in America. I've been to 31 countries so I have been around the block a time or two so I'm not just throwing that out there, but I think we can learn a lot from other cultures but we don't seem interested.

Pretty sweet watch commecial eh? :roll:

-SpongeRob NoPants

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:20 pm 
Gorilla

Actually, on a man, his watch is one of the first material things I notice. (as in, aside from physical attributes)

When my ex graduated college, I bought him a $500 watch, the best I could afford at the time. It's not much by watch standards, but certainly nice enough to be respectable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:49 am 
Gorilla

I can see buying relatively expensive clothes in order to look and feel good. But cheap watches look and "feel" just as good as expensive ones. Expensive watches seem to serve absolutely no purpose other than to say, "Hey, I'm a rich asshole! Respect me!" I find them obscene. I was fucking pissed when my mom once bought me a 200 dollar watch. I refused to wear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:14 am 
Gorilla

Jay wrote:
I can see buying relatively expensive clothes in order to look and feel good. But cheap watches look and "feel" just as good as expensive ones.

In my experience that's not true. Some expensive watches are just expensive pieces of crap with a label on them, others are of significantly better craftsmanship and quality, and you can often tell just by looking at them even if you can't see the maker. Comparing the watch I bought vs. the one he had previously, the difference in quality was clear. It also is guaranteed for life; he can take it to any jewelry store if there's ever a problem and it will be fixed no questions asked.

Undeniably, it's a status symbol. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of a person. Nonetheless, I notice, and among the general public, I'm not alone in that. Men generally wear little jewelry, so watches stand out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:40 am 
Elephant

Ha. They aired it in Sweden yesterday.
If you need to buy a watch to get your confidence up you have some issues that you need to fix :lol: .
I have no clue about cars, clothes, watches, fashion, etc so I never see it. Therefore I don't get impressed by it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:07 am 
Site Admin

If someone's spent considerably more than was necessary on something which is totally unnecessary, it makes me think they have their priorities messed up. But I wouldn't have this opinion of them until I was certain about the situation, and that they are the ones who bought the item, and that it wasn't bought for them. A friend of mine spent about £80 or £90 on sun glasses (which is about $150 - $160). I think that's totally ridiculous and I told him so over and over again. Buy a pair for £5 or even £2 and they will do exactly the same job, and they won't make you look stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:22 am 
Elephant

I have a $200 watch. I don't think having it means I'm a materialistic a*hole or anything like that. The watch is solar powered so I never have to wind it or worry about batteries. It has a steel band so it's pretty indestructable. It has a lifetime warranty. The way I see it, I spent $200 on this watch, and I should never have to go watch shopping again for the rest of my life, which is good because I think shopping is a pain. If the watch lasts 50 years, I've basically paid $4 a year for it. If I bought a cheaper watch I might have to go shopping again in a few years, so I would rather just go shopping once and buy something of good quality. If someone wants to think I'm a jerk or whatever for wearing it, then too bad. They'll just have to hate me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:55 am 
Gorilla

I don't think a 200 dollar necessarily makes you an asshole, just a 500. It is possible that at 200 you are paying for some useful fancy solar powered etc stuff to get something that is worth the price in the long run. I don't think that is possible at 500 dollars. My 200 dollar watch though was just pretty and that's it.

As far as people noticing it Meggy, I purposely used to wear ten dollar watches because I hoped it might help keep the wrong type of people away from me. Unfortunately 10 dollar watches break too quick so now I wear a 30 dollar one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:25 am 
Elephant

Their fashion.

Superficially you can often tell a lot about a person from the clothes that they wear/the way that they dress. Well outsida work anyway, coz most people don't have too much say about how they can dress for their jobs.

For a lot of people their clothes define them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:40 pm 
Elephant

I don't think there really is any material thing that can define a person, just their taste in whatever you are looking at. You may be able to see what their insecurities are, but not what their thoughts and feelings are.

IMO what defines a person is how they treat a person that they don't have to be nice to. What defines a person is what they do for another person they don't have to do anything for. What also defines a person is how and when they put down others.

Who cares what people spend ? Who cares whether you have a $10, $30, $200 or $500 (think I got them all) watch ? I certainly don't. As long as you are happy with your purchase, it's no one else's business. Personally, I might notice a piece of jewelry on someone and think it's pretty or think it's gaudy, but it doesn't make me like them as I don't know them or hate them as no animals were killed or tortured in its making (please let's not get into mining).

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Crash,

I agree with pretty much every point you make here. I agree with a lot of the other comments made previously by others that there are far better things to spend large amounts of money on than watches and sun glasses, but anyway, well said.

-Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:45 pm 
Elephant

Thanks Rob. I too think there are better things individuals can spend their money on (like pants Rob and Alex :wink: :P (jk)), but that's not my call or anyone else's but the individuals'.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:36 pm 
Gorilla

Crash wrote:
Who cares what people spend ? Who cares whether you have a $10, $30, $200 or $500 (think I got them all) watch ? I certainly don't. As long as you are happy with your purchase, it's no one else's business. Personally, I might notice a piece of jewelry on someone and think it's pretty or think it's gaudy, but it doesn't make me like them as I don't know them or hate them as no animals were killed or tortured in its making (please let's not get into mining).

Last I checked humans were a type of animal. Rather than waste 500 dollars donate it to a charity that combats poverty. People who couldn't care less and would rather get the watch are not the sort of people I want anything to do with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next