Crap TV show wants me.... :/

Daywalker

Hi friends.

I need your advice.

I've been in this local TV show (you saw the vid online) and today i've been filmed for a bigger show. Both these are reports on me, veganism, bodybuilding and so on, each ~3min.

Now i've got an invitation for a BIG German TV show, it's a late night (talk) show. (TV Total for the Germans here).

The host is an asshole. He makes fun of his guests, that's what the show is all about. He was a butcher originally before he got famous. I think the show is even sponsored by McD

I never watch the show because it's so crap.

BUT it's very popular in Germany, many young people watch it. Everyone watches it to be exact (except me ). I could reach a big audience with it - and i could still bring the message out. Even when i'm mocked, i can stay calm and speak for myself.

Or i could take the chance and hit this a$$h0/3 where it hurts

Any ideas?

My first reaction (the one you should follow) was "No way!".

One piece of advice i just heard was "The decision should depend on your goal: what do you think can be achieved if you go there?"

And: i'm not there as Alex - i represent veganism, and also bodybuilding, and also physicians.

*lol* - i think while writing this i've already made up my mind

I'd still be interested in your opinions, though,

Love and peace,

Alex

I would do it and be prepared with a list of responses.

He will most likely attack you, know how to push your buttons, and try to get you riled. That's his job, and he apparantly is rather famous with this approach. Even if he or his staff is nice backstage, don't expect it on camera. He will try to make you look like a zealot or freak, just be ready.

You can also ask for your questions in advance. He will most likely stray from this, but an outline could be helpful. I personally wound not attack him back, it makes you look just as bad. A witty or educated, calm response would do better IMO.

Even if you reached only 1 person, it would be worth it.

Let us know what you decide.

Go and take it with a pinch of salt, it will be good for the vegan cause. Maybe you can ask the production team to read what kind of questions he'll ask you and try to negotiate the ones that you find stupid.

Also, are you going to pose in front of the cameras?

A kid named ... gah I can't remember ... went on Bill OReilly here, sounds a bit like that guys show - to discuss his anti-war activities and the host ripped on him cuz his dad died in 9/11. But the kid had totally prepared by taping the show ahead of time and timing how long it took the host to get nasty and how long he gave for responses so he could get everything in and not get cutoff. You might be able to find info on the web... maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about. It was a sweet strategy and totally worked out : )

its a shame about the timing, but you could have spoken to joni, over on VF, but he is over in south africa at the moment and will only be checking the internet sporadically. he used to be very prominant in the media in finland, and did a fair few TV shows (they even interviewed his mum, and later did a 'where are they now' article on him when he moved away!). put a post up over there, and PM him if you want, he might really be able to help you.

i say go for it, as you are an articulate speaker, obviously in great shape and a doctor. everyone trusts and respects a doctor

jonathan

Could you do it without losing your cool? If so I say go for it. Is the host jacked? If not then I think you aren’t going to need to defend yourself too much. Also, you aren’t going to say anything to make vegans look like freaks are you?.... you don’t stare at the sun to try to live off sun light or anything like that, do you?

Can you make tapes for us?

Thanks for your feedback

The show is not live.

Though most people tell me to go there, i made up my mind to listen to my inner voice and tell them "No, thank you".

I had a bad feeling about it from the start.

First, i don't believe it would do much good.

Then, my mere presence would prove i'm an idiot - and veganism/AR something not to be taken serious, a fashion, a trend, entertainment.

No matter how clever i respond, i'd feel soiled being there.

No.

I'll wait for other media to adress me

After the show tonight that's not unlikely

Thanks all for your opinions, i value them highly.

Love and peace,

Daywalker

It's best to follow your gut instincts Alex. My best advice would be if you decide to do a show and are not certain about it, ask Mary on VF -- she and Neil have done lots of interviews and they, as well as Seamus, have done lots of good for veganism. I'm certain she would be a great help.

I think that especially as it's not live, you don't know how they would edit it, to make you look stupid. And even if it is live, you don't know what spin will be put on it, and what will happen. It's sad, because in theory it could be a good opportunity, but I would give it a miss because there is no way they'll want to promote veganism.

I don't know the show. The closest things I can imagine are the US shows Howard Stern or Bill O'Reilly. In those at least I think you could have come off very positive. But maybe this show you are talking about is very different.

Great though that you are getting some recognition.