Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:31 pm 
Gorilla

michaelhobson wrote:
There is plenty of food now, and millions more acresjust in this country that aren't being used. Our government is still paying farmers NOT to grow food, and as long as you see people with lawns, there is no food shortage.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that there is enough food for us or the entire world for that matter. This is a mute point because for the many reasons the food is not getting to them. Cost of transport, food spoilage, conflict, governmental beauracracies, etc. The problem lies with countries who do not have the resources or have already used up their own resources. So quite frankly, "they" have a shortage of food.

Diet
Training Log

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:21 am 
Elephant

Troy wrote:
The problem lies with countries who do not have the resources or have already used up their own resources. So quite frankly, "they" have a shortage of food.

The two biggest countries in this situation, who have basically maxed their food production and populations are China and India. Both have rapidly developing economies and even more rapidly developing military forces, including anti-sattelite missiles and nuclear weapons. I don't believe they will simply sit around and starve. If they can't get what they need on the open market, they will take it by force. Just something to think about.

http://www.facebook.com/veganburgh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 am 
Elephant

That is something to think about. There have been many wars over resources - food will be no different. By the way, China is purchasing farmland abroad to feed its people.

Michael, if you read my earlier post as I intended, you would note that I did not think starvation of the poor was a "good" method of population control. It is my fear that this will become a reality because we've failed in the education of our species over the last few decades. No doubt, education of women is the best way to curb population growth - but there are too many roadblocks in the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:06 pm 
Mastodon

michaelhobson wrote:
Troy wrote:
The problem lies with countries who do not have the resources or have already used up their own resources. So quite frankly, "they" have a shortage of food.

The two biggest countries in this situation, who have basically maxed their food production and populations are China and India. Both have rapidly developing economies and even more rapidly developing military forces, including anti-sattelite missiles and nuclear weapons. I don't believe they will simply sit around and starve. If they can't get what they need on the open market, they will take it by force. Just something to think about.

Smart man you are.

335 Squat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:30 pm 
Gorilla

The story with food shortage is pretty sad because there are countries that don't consume all of their produce and instead of selling it or giving it for free to the hungry they prefer to lose it either in the sea or burning it. They don't sell it because when they put more in the market the price goes down so it's not profitable anymore. If then its not profitable they could give it for free to the poor countries but as they receive it for no cost they sell it back and then the price goes down anyways.

As of gas climbing prices I think that nowadays few things drive the regular Joe to consume less, and high prices is at the top of the list. It would be good for the environment and as in a short spam of time there will be no huge shift to alternatives the extra money can be used to develop cleaner technologies. High prices though, are not very easy on persons with low incomes but rebates would do some job.

EDIT: I was still thinking in the food distribution ideas that I wrote and ironically they're kind of effortless explainations, but it's what sometimes happens. I would try to reach an agreement between the receiver and the giver so that the supplies are used to feed the country. Or give the food to an ngo that would make sure that those who need it will receive it. But this world is not perfect yet.