Please read this fellow vegheads

zinzen

I dont know how many of you fellow veggies have been following my surgery posts, to those who have I thank you very much, this is my first attempt at anything like this and the feedback is really helping me through this tough time.

To those who havnt checked it out, yesterday I posted about how I went to the Cleveland zoo and even though they are one of the greatest contributers to animal conservation the world over, and animal first, zoo visiters second, they serve chicken, fish and cow in the cafeteria.

So I proposed in my surgery post that I am going to write them a letter letting them know how important it is towards thier message that they stop serving meat, or at least put some vegan/veggie choices on the menu.

I am asking for anyones suggestions on how to word this letter, or what should be in the letter.

Thank you very much for your help

Tom

Plenty of people have read but no one has an opinion?

Man I thought that all these very opinionated vegans on this site would jump on such a noble cause.

I know richard has a kick ass letter idea for me to read, I would just love for this to be a true compilation of like minded people.

Well I will give it a bit still, I just really want to get this letter fired off.

Yo I moved this into the General section so more people may read it and respond to it

Here is zinzen's original post so people know what's going on:

Cleveland Zoo is one of the top zoos in the country doing conservation projects here and around the world to help preserve plants and animals.

They also reintroduce endangerd wildlife back to their ecosystems, so I love going there and hearing about the new things getting done the world over.

But today when we went the wife and I were hungry so we went to get food and I got real salty over the fact that these people were serving animal to zoo goers.

How can you be serious about this animal procective message while serving chicken and cow.

So my wife suggested that I send a letter asking them to start to serve vegan and vegetarian options, not just this, cause that aint going to happen, but some to show more practice what you preach type thing

Any suggestions of things that should be in this letter would certaintly be appreciated

and here is my suggested letter:

Dear sir/madam

My wife and I visited Cleveland Zoo recently, and had a great time. However, we were surprised to see meat and other animal products on the menu in the restaurant. We feel that it sends a mixed message. If you are trying to promote respect for animals, and work hard towards saving them, it seems counter-productive to also serve them as food. I would suggest not serving anything which has animal products in it, since this will give the message that animals should be respected / protected, rather than killed. As it is, I think people can easily get the wrong message, that animals are just for our entertainment / consumption if you continue to serve them as food.

Yeah, you definitely raise a very good point. I support you 100%. It's ridiculous that they'd serve so many animal-laden dishes at a place where they are trying to save them. Just because cows and chickens aren't an endangered or exotic species, doesn't mean they don't have the right to live as well, right?

Thanks Richard, you rule.

Yeah, you definitely raise a very good point. I support you 100%. It's ridiculous that they'd serve so many animal-laden dishes at a place where they are trying to save them. Just because cows and chickens aren't an endangered or exotic species, doesn't mean they don't have the right to live as well, right?

Im glad you get were I am coming from, now if you can just help me out with this letter I would be greatful.

Maybe if you wrote a section yourself that you would like to be included, it would be cool to send a whole bunch of letters to them, even if you never see the zoo, it would help in showing them what a difference they could make as a zoo taking that step.

Or if you have some wordings or ideas for me, just to help me get all the good points possible on paper.

Thanks a lot people,

Tom

Here are some thoughts from the keyboard of Endy, hope they help.

This was mostly thrown together, so PLEASE add to it, remove from it, do whatever. Two minds are always better than one!

----------

THE LETTER:

Dear [specific name],

The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is a wonderful inspiration. I am very glad to share news of your outstanding care of animals with others. When I visited recently, your [something] was simply amazing. [Employee name or department name or whatnot] did a wonderful job with [employee duty, animal name, or whatever else]. Without a doubt, I believe you run an excellent zoo.

Your mission statement announces your commitment to encouraging respect and stewardship of the natural world. I feel this is a noble goal and you earn my heartfelt respect for it. I truly appreciate the commitment you meet, but am saddened to see that your restaurant serves animal products. This is a message that unfortunately harms your mission for two reasons:

1) Animals are slaughtered, especially in a context where meat overconsumption is a problem. [Come up with something better than this?]

2) According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization [citations, statistics], consumption of animals is a major contributor global warming, destruction of habitats and natural environments. [substantiate this more].

I honestly feel that serving animal products does not contribute to the mission of the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Instead, it is an obstacle that promotes disrespect and harm towards the natural world we all strive to protect. As an alternative and to further increase the organization's profits, the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo can satsify customers with [alternate solution here--come up with whatever you want]. [Write a paragraph or two to make it solid--remember, they're also concerned about their bottom line and one of the best ways to persuade is to convince them of a solution that makes sure they end up with more money]

[first name], thank you so much for your time and consideration. Your support for the natural world continues to inspire me and I genuinely look forward to a time where I can say the zoo's commitment is truly the best I have ever seen.

Sincerely,

[your name]

----------------

IMPLEMENTATION:

Fill out the blanks

Call the cleveland zoo, find names, find people in departments. Get a personnel list. (Ask if you want help on this). Look for people who have authority to make the changes you want. Shoot high, but remember sometimes people high on the list might be more busy than people lower who also have the influence you need. You might have to call several times and navigate bureaucratic obstacles.

Once you get a name, call that person. Come in with a solid case (which you will have once you fill out the details in this letter). As you talk (and in a way that encourages you two to bond), let him know you're forwarding a letter.

Don't forget to ask how else you can get this message spread at the zoo. You might get some wonderful advice.

Wow, I am so glad that I posted this on here, I wouldve never came up with such a brilliant letter.

I am not just saying that to pat you on the back Endy, I sincerly mean that.

THank you very much for the time and effort you have placed here in this letter, and rest assured I think my best bet would be to use your format, and as much of the original text as possible.

Thank you again, and Wow.

And Richard the address is 3900 Wildlife Way Cleveland OH 44109.

I do believe that this could actually change something.

I was going to post here a bit back asking people what I could do with my anger, how could I cause change to better the welfare of other living creatures on this planet, and now I have found a way.

I really think that if people from vegan bodybuilding sent letters to the zoo it would make a change.

And hell it might just get the site on the news, ether TV or print, Ive seen much dumber things in there.

Please take some time out of your busy days and shoot a letter over to the zoo.

Thanks,

Tom

Does the zoo actually run the food court? Ours in transition now, as the county is taking over the Detroit Zoo (as we now pay taxes as a bought business investment! Oakland county sure appears to be rich in this poor state of Michigan). The food court was being leased out to a food company. I just bring this up as they might not have direct control over their food court, and will say that it isn't their responsibility for the food being served. Maybe they can at least invite other companies with vegan options to come in and lease a building.

Does the zoo actually run the food court? Ours in transition now, as the county is taking over the Detroit Zoo (as we now pay taxes as a bought business investment! Oakland county sure appears to be rich in this poor state of Michigan). The food court was being leased out to a food company. I just bring this up as they might not have direct control over their food court, and will say that it isn't their responsibility for the food being served. Maybe they can at least invite other companies with vegan options to come in and lease a building.

I just moved here when all this was going up to vote. Living in Macomb county, our taxes where affected as well. Although I have never been to the Detroit Zoo (not exactly a zoo supporter personally) It would be nice if there was a way to change the food issue.

To the OP & Endy: IMHO the letter was very well written