What do you do when you can't sleep?

veggymeggy

Here it is, 1:45am, again, and I have class at 8. I should be sleeping!!!

I was doing fine the first week of school, but a crazy, 100% sleepless weekend has completely screwed up my sleep schedule again.

Anyone have any good suggestions for getting sleepy when you're not???

Yep, been there. A few drops of lavender oil on a tissue under your pillow should make you drift silently into slumber. There are also some herbal teas out there that really knock you out. This one, for example, is really effective:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/458248.html

If they don't stock this particular one in your local store try to find something similar.

Some just make you feel relaxed while others actually send you to sleep so find those ones.

zzzzzz.........zzzzzzzzzzz..............zzzzzzzzzz..............zzzzzzzzzzzz........zzzzz

I love dreams.

Who's seen the film "What the BLEEP do we know?"? It's really cool.

If the above don't work, I've read walnuts help.

Also, if it gets really bad, I can vouch for melatonin. It's herbal, non-addictive and works! It'll knock ya out.

A couple others that are natural but should be used moderately would be kava kava (unless you have liver issues) and valerian (which causes nightmares in a small percentage of people, so be aware).

Hey, SeaSiren !

Hmmm... are you sure? I remember researching sleep aids a few years ago and I never came across that information; to the contrary: melatonin works on most people with no side effects. I think the worst thing that can happen is that it won't work; but that is rare.

What were your side effects?

On the other hand, everything I've read about Valerian cautions that there are side effects/non-effectiveness.

Are you sure it wasn't Valerian you took?

I would try not to worry about it.. lay down and think that you get rest when you lay down.. it's not the same as slepping.. but stress or worry about it makes it more dificult to sleep..

try to get some routine in your bed times eat times... etc...

hope it helps

good luck!!!

Hey, SeaSiren !

Hmmm... are you sure? I remember researching sleep aids a few years ago and I never came across that information; to the contrary: melatonin works on most people with no side effects. I think the worst thing that can happen is that it won't work; but that is rare.

What were your side effects?

On the other hand, everything I've read about Valerian cautions that there are side effects/non-effectiveness.

Are you sure it wasn't Valerian you took?

It was melatonin, this is what I found for your reference:

http://www.melatonin.com/melatonin-faq.php#SIDE

Are there any side-effects?

According to one report, "10 percent of the users said the hormone did nothing for them, and another 10 percent complained of side effects such as nightmares, headaches, morning groginess, mild depression, and low sex drive. In past studies, researchers have given people up to 600 to 3,000 times the usual doses - without causing any toxicity.

Count me in for nightmares & groginess, I also had leg twitching and confusion. But, like I said I am the minority, MOST persons won't experience any problems. Unfortunatly, I am never most people

Edited by SeaSiren

I use to toss & turn & toss & turn. Cassie Cat would get very POd at me! This would go on for a couple of hours. By the time I was finally sleeping soundly, the damned clock would go off.

Since this seems to be happening more & more, I now keep a book by my bedside & read. What the heck -- I may as well get some good reading time in.

One thing I've discovered is if you have to get up during the night, use the lowest lighting possible. Nothing wakes you up like bright lights. I have night lights & if I have to go to the kitchen, I use a flashlight.

I've tried melatonin, but it seems to only work well during the first part of the evening when I don't have this problem. By 3:30 or 4:00, I think it's worn off.

I would try not to worry about it.. lay down and think that you get rest when you lay down.. it's not the same as slepping.. but stress or worry about it makes it more dificult to sleep..

try to get some routine in your bed times eat times... etc...

hope it helps

good luck!!!

Yes you're absolutely right about sleeping pattern and eating pattern. Cf Topher's post about sleep the other week.

The only trouble is that you get invited to go out to clubs and parties and general hanging out with friends. Then you end up staying up too late.

At the end of the day you just have to prioritise: if you know you are more productive when you are in tune with your body clock and getting up early every day and going to bed early every night then it makes sense to arrange your activities accordingly: e.g you spend time with friends early in the evening and excuse yourself later on because you know you need time to wind down.

This film "What the BLEEP do we (k)now" makes the following clear: it makes sense to give yourself time to collect your thoughts: write down on paper everything you are happy about in your life but also things that you would like to improve, along with strategies for achieving your goals. Visualise yourself just as you want to be. Visualise yourself doing the things you want to do, where you want to be, who you want to be with.

Why visualise? Because then you will dream about being in your ideal world. Once you are living your ideal in your subconscious you have the power to live it in "reality".

Sorry for rambling but the ideas in this film are amazingly powerful.

I'll be quiet now.

According to one report, "10 percent of the users said the hormone did nothing for them, and another 10 percent complained of side effects such as nightmares, headaches, morning groginess, mild depression, and low sex drive....

Count me in for nightmares & groginess, I also had leg twitching and confusion. But, like I said I am the minority, MOST persons won't experience any problems. Unfortunatly, I am never most people

Well, I'll be ding donged!

Thanks for that.

Still it's a small percentage and an option.

I agree with getting a pattern of sleep established! Thanks for that reminder, runner, that does work.

Also a hot bath or even shower at bedtime is very relaxing.

You're right Gorilla,

We have to realize that everything,.........EVERY....THING...... is energy.

Everything that we see, hear, touch, smell, taste, etc., and so much more including our thoughts and emotions are energy.

Disease........Dis-ease in eastern forms of medicine/spirituality equates to a dis-ease in the movement of energy.

That's why they say that you can become anything you want as long as you can hold that thought (energy) long enough for the universe to manifest it for you. There are universal forces that behave very much like the neg and pos charges inherent in electricity. Things/people/places that you become attached to or repulsed by for no apparent reason. Everything is connected, we are all connected.

One of the more powerful motivators for me in moving away from flesh is understanding the incredible amount of bad energy that gets stored in flesh before it is murdered. Fear, pain, sorrow, dread, on and on the energy is stored and then released into you when you consume it. We literally are what we consume.

I've started making a habit of thanking the food that I am consuming. Much in the same way my forefathers did before consuming what they caught or grew. It should be a small celebration and a giving of thanks because we are partaking of earth energy.

Oops....oh ya, a really good movie but you will need to replay more than once because it is very "heady" at times and there is so much information.

Thank you EVERYONE, what great tips.

I've been meaning to watch "What the Bleep do we Know" for awhile now...I'm always very behind on movie watching, but this one has come with high recommendations and accolades, so it's high on the list.

I try sooooo hard to prioritize and time manage, but I think part of the problem is I'm only 22 and I still just want to have FUN!!!! Such a vicious cycle...I work hard all week, then when the weekend comes I am awake from Friday morning till Sunday night.

I'm going to systematically enlist all your tips until I find something that helsp me recover, so it doesn't take until Friday again before I feel rested from the previous weekend.

Speaking of.....shoot, tomorrow is Friday! Time to play!!!!