Big pharma get immunized

CrispyQ

So now Americans are test subjects for big pharma. Seems fitting in a way, as our disregard for other species extends to our own. Still it makes me angry that our elected leaders passed this heinous bill so that the pharmaceutical companies will support their re-election campaigns. To hell with the people you represent!

Protection For Vaccine Companies Under Bill Provision

Under a provision added into the military spending bill by Senator Bill Frist, companies that make vaccines for the treatment of pandemic viruses or biological agents will be protected against legal action. This is even if they are found to be reckless or negligent. Mr. Frist, a surgeon, has been focussing on health care legislation.

Frist described the provision as ‘targeted liability protection’ for the companies making such vaccines. Lawsuits can be filed, according to the provision, for wilfull misconduct, but the provision goes on to add that wilfull misconduct can neither be construed as recklessness or negligence.

Critics are not impressed, and one opposer, Senator Edward Kennedy, stated: “'The Republican leadership in Congress cut a back room deal to give a massive Christmas bonus to the drug companies.” Other critics have stated that any drug could soon come under that provision depending on what officials class as recklessness or negligence.

Frist stated: ''To establish a viable, dynamic manufacturing base, it is absolutely critical that we give very targeted liability protection, coupled with a fair compensation package.''

http://www.lawcore.com/legal-information/01-10-06.htm

=====

What Dr. Frist doesn't say is that pharmaceuticals are some of the most profitable businesses in the country. We have become a country that puts corporations before people. We allow corporations to do anything that makes profit, regardless of the harm it causes to people. Much of this stems from corporate personhood.

When are Americans going to wake up & take our country & government back from the greed-heads currently in charge whose only motive is profit?

Another good article on the topic:

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0126-26.htm

I would imagine an argument for this legislation is to spur the development of vaccines to combat bird flu. However there have been vaccinations in thirdworld countries that were a U.N. effort to sterilize large numbers of women, I wouldnt be suprised if the vaccines the gov't wants these companies to make have a similar purpose or even an I.D. chip in them. These are just theories from the conspiracy folks. Either way limitied liability for any company is crap and anti free market.