camping

madcat

I am so happy it stopped raining! Now I want to go camping, but everyone keeps telling me I’m crazy because its still cold. So what! I think it would be awesome to go camping in the snow…. Maybe get some snow shoes. It would be great!

Do you guys think I’m crazy?

Does anyone here do that kind of stuff? If so what kind of equipment do you recommend?

I am so happy it stopped raining! Now I want to go camping, but everyone keeps telling me I’m crazy because its still cold. So what! I think it would be awesome to go camping in the snow…. Maybe get some snow shoes. It would be great!

Do you guys think I’m crazy?

Does anyone here do that kind of stuff? If so what kind of equipment do you recommend?

Yes, you're crazy!

I don't camp, always thought of it as akin to being homeless, no soft bed, no hot shower, no privacy. But I know people who do, and love it.

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious.

Been there, done that.....

I was with a "unit" that did/does that sort of thing. It's really neat. People get freaked out by it because they always think of the cold. But ifyou're properly prepared it's a blast. No bugs, etc

Make sure you don't build your lean-to too close to the fire because the fire creates an expanding hole in the snow and then your lean-to falls on you in the middle of the night!!!!!!1 It's funny now......

Most important thing is lots of layers for both clothing and sleeping bags. Lots of plastic to keep you from melting the snow around you and having it turn to water and wet your clothing. Arctic sleeping bags which are very different from regular sleeping bags would be a good idea.

Keep matches in a plastic bag.

There are lots of websites that could give you more info. But just remember you need to keep dry and warm. Don't do too much physically because you don't want to be sweating too much.

Anyway, just stuff off the top of my head but it is a cool thing to do.

I went camping on the Oregon coast in January a couple years back (near Newport). Just one night, it was a completely spontaneous thing....couple of friends drove down to Corvallis from Portland, and we, plus another couple college buddies, decided that being January was no reason not to go camping!

It wasn't that cold....a little windy but not bad....but it did end up raining all night (go figure ) Overall......I'd do it again anytime But, I'm weird like that. Nothing really deters me once I have an idea in my head

I think I’m going to go camping this weekend, but not in the snow…. I’m not ready for that equipment wise. REI is having a sale on their winter stuff so maybe I’m going to need to buy myself a valentines present. I thought I would have a hard time finding a sleeping bag that wasn’t made of down but they actually have a lot.

The one thing I know about camping in the cold is the less clothing you wear in your sleeping bag the warmer you will be. Sounds weird but its true + it is a great line to use depending on who you are camping with.