Twitter vegan advocacy

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Vegan Joe
Stegosaurus

Twitter vegan advocacy

#1 Postby Vegan Joe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:46 pm

http://www.examiner.com/x-4198-Vegan-Ex ... n-advocacy

When I first learned of Twitter, I asked the question most of us probably did: "What's the point?"

Of course, it consumed me and I've been relying on Twitter to get the word out on a lot of my projects and thoughts. Twitter is quick, simple, and highly visible to say the least.

A platform on vegan advocacy
My regular readers have noticed I push for something called "microactivism." To some, "activism" means putting on a show, holding up a sign, shouting into a megaphone. But none of this does any good without dialogue. Though it won't get you a picture in the newspaper, dialogue is one of the most effective means of vegan advocacy.

Initiating dialogue can be difficult, however. You can't just walk up on the street and ask people why they aren't vegan or throw statistics in their face. Opportunities need to be created.
Recently, I've been experimenting a bit with Twitter search. I currently have keywords like "trying to go vegan" and "switch to a vegan diet" saved to watch those who blurt out their intentions into the Twittersphere.

Vegan advocacy has a stigma of belonging only to those with fantastic public speaking skills and a will to go out to face insane mockery. However, there are loads of people out there who are ready and willing to go vegan. What are they waiting for? They're waiting for you.

For one reason or another, they've been tuned in to the suffering of animals and want to respond accordingly. Unfortunately, people who only mean the best have recommended these individuals go vegetarian or eat more "humane" and "ethical" meat. The Google results for "how to go vegan" and "animal rights" aren't any better. Animal rights ideology and dietary issues are new concepts to these good souls. We as ethical vegans have a great responsibility to lead these people in the right direction.

Suffice to say, I've found it tremendously simple to nudge our friends into expanding their thinking and giving veganism a serious try.
-Maybe I can help you with that. I screwed up many times before I went vegan completely but I did it and never looked back

:How did you do that? It so hard. The first day was fine for me, then after it really kicked in LOL.

-It's certainly different for everyone. I see you say you're a "meat lover," in that case, I would suggest adding protein rich vegan foods. Have you tried tofu, tempeh, seitan?

-Also as a general tip, the best way to kick the foods you crave is simply to stay away but you need something to replace

:Thank you for the tip. I am so guilty, I just had french toast LOL, I am gonna try tofu for a bit.

:I had eggs and tuna today, but haven't had any other meat and won't. I am really trying LOL.

-Remember, only you can make this decision for yourself. But I will help you ...

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

Return to “General Discussion”