Don't mean to be sick...regards stool

kollision

I was wondering, are there any vegan approaches towards Stool Management? I remember watching 30 Days with Morgan Spurlock on the Dancing Rabbit and they have a way for stool management, however they also had a garden and I don't know if it was hygenically good. Anyone know of a good way to take care of stool so that it doesn't go to the ocean?

Fruitarian would be a great way to get rid of packaging of the food that goes to landfills, so is there a way for stool? Perhaps some chemical that we might be able to pour in to get rid of it?

Sounds far fetched, but I just thought that I would ask.

Hmm... what currently happens to the poop? I am not sure... It all goes to the treatment / recycling plant right? But then the poop is filtered just leaving the water... then the poop must go somewhere. Are you saying they just pour it into the sea? Kinda lame. How harmful is that? I would have thought the main problem with it is the soap, bleach, and other chemical fluids that we use that get flushed in the toilet, or from the bath. At least poo is biodegradable right?

Feces contain bacteria, so I would think that this would entire the oceans, affect fish, etc.

I know that in some places they use it for energy but then again I have heard that there are bad effects such as methane, and I don't know if it's harmful but I know it smells. I also remember one museum taking "donations" or wanting to take of stool so that they can use that to power the museum, thereby leaving it free of charge to come there.

Not sure if it's filtered or not, but since I saw the Dancing Rabbit ecovillage doing it, I figured there may have been an environmental reason (besides planting).

In the wild, it helps grow plants too, right? However, we can't dig a hole anywhere and put it in, so that's why I am looking for an alternative.

Volcano would be a good option though....who knows, probably since their are so many people, the magma will get tired of all that poop...

There are composting toilets available, that turn the poo and other waste into ...compost! No direct contact with the 'substance' necessary, just either manual turning, or having an electric model that turns and heats on its own. Don't know how the 'finished product" is separated from the fresher stuff, though. If cow poo can be used for fertilizing, there's no reason people poo (especially vegan!) can't be used for the same.

Look up "composting toilet" in a web search, and you'll find some info.

You could also become a famous celebrity, and then you can sell your poo to some crazy fans. This way you make money, and the poo doesn't end up in the sea.

Or make poo scupltures! I actually have a couple of pre-vegan-days manure compost garden statues (gargoyles) that are meant to be placed in the garden to decompose (they are on a high shelf in my living room!).

I actually had to tour a sewage treatment plant with my environmental biology class a while back. The end product of the treatment is clean water, which isn't drinking water, but is used in those non-potable water trucks for construction, or for irrigation. The remaining solid material is super-heated and hit with UV radiation to kill the bacteria, and dried to a dirt-like consistency. I forget what they used that material for exactly, but it did have some type of use.

They sift out the big stuff (ie paper, plastic, condoms etc that end up in the sewer lines), then it goes into these huge tanks which they dump this bacteria into that eats alot of the solid matter. It's filtered and separated. The sludge gets the superheating/UV treatment and the water gets a small amount bleach added to it to kill the remaining bacteria.

In the wild, poop goes on the floor. But now that humans have such great over-population, that probably isn't a good thing to do, as we are in unnatural numbers and there would be crap everywhere. Maybe poop needs to be put into a volcano?

dude...what happens when it blows?

Interesting thread!

I think it's sad how we, who live so well, have so little understanding & knowledge of how basic daily things are taken care of for us. I always thought a great field trip for young kids would be to a water sanitation plant. We should know what happens to all our discarded water & the things we put in it, from poop to drain cleaner (lye).

Remember in fall of '03 (?) when the northern US & parts of Canada had that huge blackout? Fortunately it was in fall so the weather wasn't extremely hot or cold. But the interesting thing was in Cleveland the water supply was quickly compromised due to lack of electricity to keep the sanitation plants going. This was after only a few hours, IIRC.

We blithely go about our daily routines with little knowledge or appreciation of all the behind the scenes workings of our lifestyle. We don't appreciate it until it doesn't work.

~~Totally off topic, but whatever happened with boosh's "we're going to upgrade the grid" speech after that outage? Another empty promise by the boy king as we spend $1.5 billion in Iraq every week.

There are composting toilets available, that turn the poo and other waste into ...compost! No direct contact with the 'substance' necessary, just either manual turning, or having an electric model that turns and heats on its own. Don't know how the 'finished product" is separated from the fresher stuff, though. If cow poo can be used for fertilizing, there's no reason people poo (especially vegan!) can't be used for the same.

Look up "composting toilet" in a web search, and you'll find some info.

About vegans, poo, and cow poo fertilizer. This is an excellent point Kathyrn, and one that has academic support as well.

Some organic farmers are hostile to a totally plant-based agriculture and argue that some animals are needed because their poo is needed for fertilizer. But, it would be better, and more environmentally friendly, if everybody just went vegan. We could use human manure as fertilizer. It has apparently successfully been done, albeit on a small scale.

See: The last article entitled "Beyond the Killing Fields: Working Towards a Vegetarian Future" in Geoff Tansey and Joyce D'Silva, eds., The Meat Business: Devouring a Hungry Planet.