Page 10 of 14

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:15 am
by johnboy74
"The God Delusion," by Richard Dawkins....

is certainly one of my most influential books, Dawkins writes with a lucid realism, for life free from the shackles of religious dogma.

Fallen_Horse wrote:it seems that most of his points are against organized religion, for for atheism...

Clue is in the title of the book :wink:

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 am
by el_flaco
For the "God Delusion" to be influential to someone I'd argue that it must have changed the path of their life. If you don't believe in religion and have never felt any kind of religious calling, what influence does reading it have? Surely it's just a warm feeling of confirmation, nothing more.

I read "Walden" shortly after I got my first proper job and had money to spend. It knocked me sideways into ascetism.

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm
by Saulo
johnboy74 wrote:"The God Delusion," by Richard Dawkins....

is certainly one of my most influential books, Dawkins writes with a lucid realism, for life free from the shackles of religious dogma.

Fallen_Horse wrote:it seems that most of his points are against organized religion, for for atheism...

Clue is in the title of the book :wink:

I was reared an atheist so anything having to do with infidelity or exorcism movies have no effect on me. Although I will say there is an inverted cross on my blog but that's only for my amusement

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 am
by vege

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 am
by San Swan
''Resurrected gods'', about Leonardo da Vinci life.

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:09 pm
by MaryStella
recently

Born to Run - by Chris McDougall - vegan scott jurek is featured in the book

It's not about the bike - by Lance Armstong

17 hours to glory - some stories are better than others in it.

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:20 pm
by Wotan_statt_yahweh
Might is right
Deceived Damned & Defiant
The Saga of the Volsungs
The Saga of the Jomsvikings
Havamal

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:46 pm
by robert
Great List MaryStella!

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 am
by charlie splatterhead
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair has probably done more to influence me than any other book. Not only my diet, but my attitude towards social injustice. For animals and humans as well.

Other books that have inspired me:
Hardcore Zen - Brad Warner
Sit Down and Shut Up - Brad warner
Awakening the Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das

(that's the short list, I read all the time, but I didn't want to fill up the board with me, me, me...)

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:38 am
by Devilbat
Gonna have to stay the Satanic Bible as the most influential book. The belief that you are fully responsible for your actions and that constant pursuit of knowledge is something not to be frowned upon but held up in high regard agrees with me pretty well. I dont see the Satanic Bible as a religous tool but rather a self help guide for the unique who stand up for what they believe in! Which is pretty much every single person on here!

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 am
by charlie splatterhead
Devilbat wrote:Gonna have to stay the Satanic Bible as the most influential book. The belief that you are fully responsible for your actions and that constant pursuit of knowledge is something not to be frowned upon but held up in high regard agrees with me pretty well. I dont see the Satanic Bible as a religous tool but rather a self help guide for the unique who stand up for what they believe in! Which is pretty much every single person on here!


It's really just a bastardized version of "Might Is Right." Parts of it are borderline plagiarism, but I don't suppose either author should care if they take themselves seriously. I don't subscribe to the tenants of "selfishness" that are in the book(s) myself. It's not really all about "me", even if I want it to be. Responsibility for your actions and the pursuit of knowledge do not require an inflated ego. I'm a Buddhist (or an atheist with allot of rituals if you like) and the foundation of my belief system is grounded in personal responsibility, the laws of cause and affect, and the constant pursuit of knowledge. Without ego.

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm
by Devilbat
Ima check out the might is right asap! I believe in confidence within yourself,but among others I allow myself to be taught and criticized for the simple fact that I say to to myself " who the fuck are you to not hear this persons opinion on the matter?!"Then after I hear their argument I draw my own conclusion. I do believe Anton was a bighead, but I think he did it to achieve a sense of self, but ultimately he comes off being a conceded douche.

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:37 pm
by Fallen_Horse
el_flaco wrote:For the "God Delusion" to be influential to someone I'd argue that it must have changed the path of their life. If you don't believe in religion and have never felt any kind of religious calling, what influence does reading it have? Surely it's just a warm feeling of confirmation, nothing more.

I read "Walden" shortly after I got my first proper job and had money to spend. It knocked me sideways into ascetism.



Mostly agreed. The God Delusion was just the same tired argument over and over. Dawkins gives secularism a bad name.


However Walden is definitely the most epic piece on asceticism and transcendentalist thought that I have ever read. Perfect!

"I had three pieces of limestone on my desk, but I was terrified to find that they required to be dusted daily, when the furniture of my mind was all undusted still, and threw them out the window in disgust." - from Walden

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm
by Wotan_statt_yahweh
If you read my list you will see "Might is right" is one of my favs. I've read it about 4 times and yes, I knew that the satanic bible is a rip off of Might is right. Might is right is anti christian but has nothing to do with satanism.

Re: Most influential Books you've read

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:46 am
by SpartanDiva
I read a ton of nonfiction books in many categories. The most influential to me were Super Rich by Russell Simmons and Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness by Robert Cheeke.