Farm Sanctuary near Watkins Glen offers a vegan vacation

Vegan Joe

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100822/LIVING/8220316/1032/Farm-Sanctuary-near-Watkins-Glen-offers-a-vegan-vacation

ORANGE, SCHUYLER COUNTY — It shelters more animals than some zoos. It spans 175 breathtaking acres bordering a state forest. It draws thousands of tourists each year. And its co-founder and president is a national figure in the fight to change the way industry and the public think about and treat farm animals.

Since 1989, the Farm Sanctuary — a farm-animal protection, education and advocacy organization — has called this hilly, pastoral stretch 12 miles west of Watkins Glen its headquarters and home. People can visit from May to October, and some certainly drop in just to peek at the animals. But visitors can also learn about the perils of factory farming, meet the "animal ambassadors" on a tour, stay at the cabin B&B or participate in special events focused on cruelty-free agriculture and the celebration of farm animals as sentient beings.

As a meat-lite, ice cream-heavy omnivore, I'm here for a 24-hour vegan vacation, pledging during that time to forego animal-derived foods of all kinds (they're not allowed to be consumed on site anyway) and willing to subject myself to information that may give me pause the next time I sit down for a cheeseburger or even some chocolate milk.

Soon after my arrival, I'm walking through a postcard-perfect meadow of grazing cattle, whose original destiny — to pump out the milk or be the meat at your dinner table — has taken a lucky detour. Our guide, a college student named Nicole, explains that this is the Sanctuary's "special needs" herd, set apart because of ...