Questions about potential forum changes

robert

Hey all,

Note all be away all weekend so I may not address your responses for a few days, but I wanted to ask some questions to think about over the weekend.

Should we condense the number of forum categories?

Do you like that we have a specific place for martial arts because you know you can find that info there or is it just an extra category that is not needed and could be combined elsewhere?

What about all the regional sections at the bottom? Do you like the fact that you can post something Portland or DC-related and know people will see it, or are they just quiet little parts of the forum taking up space?

What about entertainment, news, general fitness, and other sections that could be lumped into general discussion? Should we do it?

I didn't count, but I'm guessing we have over 20 categories. I be we could easily cut it down to 10 if we wanted.

What are YOUR thoughts?

We haven't made any changes in categories in a year or two. We used to change it up quite a bit but I've been away a lot working on books and haven't really addressed it lately.

Something I've been thinking about.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks so much.

PS....what would YOUR ideal format look like?

Please list the categories. I'm sure there are many we have that are not needed and perhaps some other ones I haven't really thought about.

Also...what are your Favorite categories? It seems the Before and After and Training Journals are most popular. I like the Introductions, Journals, and Bodybuilding sections the most. What about you?

Thanks!

-Robert

I've experienced a bug. If I am not signed in and click on "Post reply", it brings me to the log in page. I log in and it transfers me to the forum index instead of the post reply page.

On the log in screen tick the stay logged in option.

Or just log in when you first get here.

Admins will probably fix though.Doesn't sound like too much drama.

It seems the Before and After and Training Journals are most popular. I like the Introductions, Journals, and Bodybuilding sections the most.

Ditto, and the recipes. Condense and streamline away, Robert. Ten categories is a pile. Or, is there code that could automatically arrange the categories in descending order of current use (hits)? That would be helpful beyond belief.

Herc

I've noticed that "General Discussion" is the second last one with the most Topics in "General". I always have a hard time finding it because I'm expecting it to be the first one. Its kinda funny, I get lost trying to find it.

I've experienced a bug. If I am not signed in and click on "Post reply", it brings me to the log in page. I log in and it transfers me to the forum index instead of the post reply page.

This is actually a known issue with the forum that the developers are working on.

Anymore thoughts before I make some changes?

I'd really like to condense categories.

Anyone have any templates or formats they want to share?

I think I'll axe a bunch of categories, combining them with other areas.

I think the regional section will go, the documentary section, maybe the News, Entertainment, martial arts, general fitness, etc.

Cutting and slicing things up....what do you think?

Which categories do you wan to see STAY in their own section?

Thanks!

Robert

My thoughts:

-The bodybuilding and fitness categories are all good, except maybe martial arts could merge with general fitness or be a sub-category of general fitness.

-Recipes could merge with health and nutrition programs or better yet be a sub-category, and health and nutrition programs could go under the bodybuilding and fitness section.

-Photos and videos and entertainment can go with general discussion or be one sub-category under entertainment.

-Regional activities could all be merged into one category and go under the community events and gatherings section

I've noticed that "General Discussion" is the second last one with the most Topics in "General". I always have a hard time finding it because I'm expecting it to be the first one. Its kinda funny, I get lost trying to find it.

This is actually a known issue with the forum that the developers are working on.

Have the developers thought about converting the forum from phpBB 2(current) to phpBB 3?

Convert to phpBB 3 - http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=install&version=3#convert

Of course I know any upgrade comes a long with its risk of failure. I'm just curious.

We are at 3. This is an issue with Version 3 that phpBB has to address.