Please give feedback and suggestions

Richard

Hello there, that's right it's me.

Now we've got that out of the way, the plan is to re-design the website, and I'll be doing that so you don't have to worry. The intention is for the site to be updated regularly, and for it to be a better, more organised, and entertaining resource. In practical terms, I intend to make the site itself wider to allow for more information and less scrolling, and I am going to change the sections to make it easier to navigate and find the stuff you need. But beyond that, Robert and I would like more articles, photos and videos from forum users - and anybody else who cares to contact us (me) about it.

The sections I am thinking about would be something like

News - this is just where updates would be posted, to link to the section where the update is.

Profiles - pretty much the same as it is now

Training - An archive of training tips and articles, videos, photos related to physical activity

Food - An archive of recipes and tips, information about food and health, videos, and photos related to food

Veganism - An archive of articles, photos and videos relating to animals, animal rights and news in the movement

Forum - same, just link to this forum

So I want to keep it relatively simple, and the sections fairly broad, so things aren't scattered.

I'm interested to hear any ideas, but don't be stressed out if I don't use everything everybody says because I have to at least make the thing cohesive and working to a fairly singular vision is for the best I feel. I want to make room for everything that is relevant, and hopefully get stuff featured on the site which is important to you all, and to get more exposure for some of the achievements that have been made by users of the forum.

So yeah, any feedback will be appreciated, and I'll see how things go. I had considered keeping photo gallery as well, but I kind of like the idea of the photos being in each section that they belong in, so maybe a gallery for each section I don't know.

I think a recipe database or something would be cool. We get a lot of people who are either new to veganism or working out (or both) looking for recipe suggestions.
I second this. But I'd like it to be a fitness-oriented recipe database. There are plenty of other sites out there where I can get a bazillion different vegan chocolate cake recipes.

• 2 weeks later...

Any last minute ideas?

I think Richard is working on this right now.

I'm super pumped!

Anyone want to contribute articles?

Have their own column?

I'm looking for a whole new style of site that has content updated daily.

Let me or Richard know if you want to contribute weekly, monthly, etc.

Thanks!

Robert

Hi there,

I've been ill this last week, what a bummer! Getting back on track now thankfully.

I have been giving a lot of thought to the website. Who is the site aimed at, and what is it meant to achieve? Should it be a guide to people who are new to these things, or should it be a place for updates on the subject? I know that it can be both, but what should it be primarily, and how can those things be separated in a clear fashion?

There are certain things that can put off new-comers, but which long-time bodybuilders / vegans will find useful. Likewise, there are many things that long-time bodybuilders / vegans don't need to read about, but which are very handy for people who are new to it. So it all needs to be there, but it needs to be clear who its for.

My initial idea (that I outlined in my previous posts) was just to have the sections there, and then appropriate articles etc would get put there whenever there was an update. So if someone had a new recipe, it goes in the recipe section, and if there is a new vegan gathering or event, then it would go in that section and so on. But the trouble with that is that new users would look at it, and would just be getting the latest information, which is not necessary the most useful to them, some people will want a literal guide - what should I be doing, what do I eat, what don't I eat and so on...

So! Should there be a "the basics" section, or "getting started" or something along those lines, where people can get the simplest form of information as a starting point, before going into the other areas? Or is a better idea for each section to have a "getting started" section within it... so in the training section, it would have an article on that, aimed at beginners, and then same with health, same with veganism / ethics... just an outline in each thing, I don't know.

Does anyone have thoughts on that?

Keep the Getting Started section separate and lay down the basics in there, keep this out the other sections so they can have the latest updates first without confusion.

This way beginners will know exactly where to go - more importantly they can find it quick, and the simplified format of information will mean they're more likely to give it a try! No digging through loads of information that isn't really relevant to them.

And for everyone else, it's less clutter when looking for updates and through other sections.

• 1 month later...

I think I'll have some time in Jan (want to make time and make it a priority) to make some changes and updates to the forum specifically.

I'll look over feedback and then go to town.

I'm thinking of doing away with all the regional sections, just making one called "Travel" or something like that, and removing News, Entertainment, Martial Arts, Documentary section, etc. and putting them into General Discussion.

Sound good?

I like the regional sections. I can look at whatever region is applicable to me, and not have to scroll through a bunch of topics that are about places that aren't pertinent to me. But that's just me, it's not a huge deal.

I think that news and entertainment would be good in General Discussion,but I don't know about martial arts. Maybe that would be better in General Fitness? I don't go in that forum very much though so I don't know what kinds of discussions people are having.