Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: how often/much do you drink?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:57 am 
Site Admin

I don't drink at all, and I don't like being in the company of people who are affected by alcohol / drugs. I tend to say that people should do what they like so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else. But I also think it is sad that people can't enjoy themselves, do the things they want, or have enough confidence without taking drugs or alcohol. But if you do need those things to have a good time, then that's what you'll do I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:15 am 
Gorilla

Richard wrote:
I don't drink at all, and I don't like being in the company of people who are affected by alcohol / drugs. I tend to say that people should do what they like so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else. But I also think it is sad that people can't enjoy themselves, do the things they want, or have enough confidence without taking drugs or alcohol. But if you do need those things to have a good time, then that's what you'll do I guess.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:37 pm 
Stegosaurus

I think there's a difference between 'not being able to enjoy yourself without alcohol' and enjoying a social drink or two. Or at least in my mind. I like having a beer in the summer and I usually drink 2-3 glasses of red wine a week, but I wouldn't say I am what Richard is talking about. There are shades of grey, like most everything else in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:57 am 
Site Admin

Yeah I know there are various reasons for drinking, I wasn't talking about everybody. I know some people can choose to have alcohol sometimes, and choose not to at other times, some drink for the taste, some drink to fit in, some drink to get drunk, and some people drink to deal with lack of confidence / depression / boredom. It's the last category only that I was referring to before, and I do find that sad. I've talked to people who say they don't like to dance unless they have a drink, only do certain sex acts when they have had a drink, can't talk to girls unless they have had a drink, can't talk socially without having a drink, can't enjoy a night out without a drink and so on. And I know people who are miserable and try to escape their life by drinking real heavy. And I don't necessarily think those things are wrong as such, it's just sad that that's how it is, because it underlines to me that the person is not happy with themselves, or lacks confidence to be how they'd like to be.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:02 am 
Stegosaurus

I would pretty much agree with all of that. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 am 
Elephant

Sometimes I can go a month without any drinking, other times I'll drink 2 or 3 times a week. Usually two beers OR a glass of red wine OR a glass or two of whiskey and cola.

I'm kind of in the middle. I don't see why people insist on drinking themselves into oblivious nor do I understand the stigma that drives others to avoid it completely. I understand if you don't like it, surely you don't have to drink, but there's nothing wrong with it on its own.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

I don't drink because I don't like how it affects me. If I were to drink any, I'd only want to drink enough to ensure that it doesn't change my behaviour or perception. But there isn't an accurate way to know that, and since I haven't had any alcohol for over 10 years, it'd probably not take very much at all to affect me. So I'd rather drink something that is equally or more appealing which I don't have to worry about

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 pm 
Stegosaurus

I don't drink at all.

I think altogether, I may have had 5 drinks in my life. Never liked it.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:15 pm 
Rabbit

I don't enjoy being drunk or being around drunk people but I occasionally drink real ales because I like the taste and like to try different varieties. I haven't had one since going vegan so I'm not sure whether they are or not.

Also, I wondered if raw vegans drink alcohol?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm 
Rabbit

I drank a few times when I was about 17 (never got drunk though). I won't drink at all now except a sip of a friends drink to try if it looks extra tasty. I don't enjoy it, and I hate the thought of how it affects my health. It doesn't bother me if other people drink, I just prefer not to be around them because I always feel out of place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:35 pm 
Rabbit

Luckily for me I never drink - i don't even like it. I use to all the time but I guess I kind of grew out of it. It's horrible for your body and will definitely effect muscle growth.