What's your favorite vegan food?

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Cellar Yeti
Gorilla

Re: What's your favorite vegan food?

#31 Postby Cellar Yeti » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:32 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:Is the kielbasa good? Does it actually taste like kielbasa?

I need to get me some kielbasa and sauerkraut.

Maybe a bit. I don't buy meat replacements because they taste like the real thing, I buy them because I like the taste and texture of tofurkey. I think the tofurkey line has their own distinct flavor outside the realm of meat, but slightly similar. I've never felt the need to replace meat.

Heck, most of my whoopie meals aren't even meat analogues, I don't really do the whole meat replacement thing. But things like burittos with guacamole, salsa, and chips, or hummus, tapenade, flatbread, and artichoke dip platters.
Live cautiously to make it safely to death

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#32 Postby lobsteriffic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:38 pm

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't mean do they taste like meat. That would be stupid. What I meant was, do they just taste like normal tofurkey stuff? Or do they have a kielbasa flavour, which is usually quite smoky and is flavoured with marjoram and garlic.

Cellar Yeti
Gorilla

#33 Postby Cellar Yeti » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:06 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't mean do they taste like meat. That would be stupid. What I meant was, do they just taste like normal tofurkey stuff? Or do they have a kielbasa flavour, which is usually quite smoky and is flavoured with marjoram and garlic.

Oh yes, they have that smoke flavor, and the best word I could use to describe them is succulent. They are much different than tofurkey roasts which are almost hearty and a bit more dry. The tofurkey kielbasa is rich, smokey, and succulent.

I got some red russet taters, a big red onion, a few cloves of garlic, and some sauerkraut. I quartered the onions and the potatoes, and minced the garlic, I put everything in a casserole dish and made a soy sauce/olive oil, and sage and drizzled it over everything. Cooked it, and served it with Dijon mustard.
Live cautiously to make it safely to death

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#34 Postby lobsteriffic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:45 pm

oh my gosh that sounds perfect! :)

chrisjs
Elephant

#35 Postby chrisjs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:Is the kielbasa good? Does it actually taste like kielbasa?

I need to get me some kielbasa and sauerkraut.

They are similar to kielbasa flavoring, but won't fool anyone (unlike the gardein stuff). Out of all the tofurkey links I think those the best but you have to grill them. Even pan frying they don't quite come out right... they have that weird "hey why does this oil have no identifiable flavor" thing going on.

Return to “General Discussion”