President Clinton named PETA'S 2010 Person of the Year; orga

Vegan Joe

President Clinton named PETA'S 2010 Person of the Year; organization praises his vegan diet

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/12/20/2010-12-20_president_clinton_named_petas_2010_person_of_the_year_organization_praises_his_v.html

Al Gore may have spearheaded environmental issues during the Clinton administration, but it was Bill Clinton who did the most for animals this year.

The former president was named PETA's 2010 Person of the Year, the organization announced in a press release on Monday.

The organization applauded Clinton, who was known for chowing down fast food in the Oval Office, for his recent embrace of veganism.

"Thanks to his new plant-based diet, he's shed some pounds, decreased his risk of future heart problems and spared the lives of many animals," the organization said in the press release.

Before the former President's daughter was married, she had reportedly urged him to drop a few pounds. In September, he told CNN that he had lost 24 pounds thanks to his new diet.

"I live on beans, legumes, vegetables, fruit. I drink a protein supplement every morning. No dairy," he said.

The diet came after Clinton was admitted to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital after suffering from chest pains in February. He's had a history of heart trouble, including a quadruple bypass surgery in 2004.

He said his new food groups were doing a world of good for his health woes.

"I did all this research, and I saw that 82% of the people since 1986 who have gone on a plant-based, no dairy, no meat of any kind, no chicken, no turkey—I eat very little fish, once in a while I'll have a little fish," he said. "If you can do it, 82% of people have begun to heal themselves."

PETA proudly agreed.

"By choosing a plant-based diet, President Clinton has spared the lives of nearly 200 animals a year and reduced his risk of cancer, strokes, and other diseases," the organization claimed.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/12/20/2010-12-20_president_clinton_named_petas_2010_person_of_the_year_organization_praises_his_v.html#ixzz18o0L8Rfx

The cost is that the world sees a prominent figure eating a 95% vegan diet, and getting healthier because of it, and has exposure to the health provided by the vegan diet over a conventional one, and perhaps makes more changes in their diet than they otherwise would have.

I get really tired of the idea of "go 100% vegan or go away" attitude that many vegans have. Everyone can't be 100% vegan all the time. Do you only buy products with vegan sugar? Do you make sure the vitamin D in foods is vegan? Do you make sure to never buy from any company that tests on animals? It's not easy, and it's not cheap. So when someone goes 95% vegan (or even 80 or 90) then I say, "Huzzah!" because they are taking a step towards helping their bodies and helping the animals and helping the planet, and criticizing them for not being 100% vegan isn't going to get them or us anywhere.

The cost is that the world sees a prominent figure eating a 95% vegan diet, and getting healthier because of it, and has exposure to the health provided by the vegan diet over a conventional one, and perhaps makes more changes in their diet than they otherwise would have.

I get really tired of the idea of "go 100% vegan or go away" attitude that many vegans have. Everyone can't be 100% vegan all the time. Do you only buy products with vegan sugar? Do you make sure the vitamin D in foods is vegan? Do you make sure to never buy from any company that tests on animals? It's not easy, and it's not cheap. So when someone goes 95% vegan (or even 80 or 90) then I say, "Huzzah!" because they are taking a step towards helping their bodies and helping the animals and helping the planet, and criticizing them for not being 100% vegan isn't going to get them or us anywhere.

http://www.tweak3d.net/forums/imagehosting/12254a885fadccc3b.gif