Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 7 Billion People By The End Of 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:25 pm 
Gorilla

lobsteriffic wrote:
I know two different couples who went through the adoption process and it was very, very long and arduous, and caused a lot of heart break.

That's unfortunate for them. But it's still a better option then having more than two or three kids.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:05 pm 
Stegosaurus

They didn't want more than two or three kids. They just wanted one. Agree 100% with not having more than 2 or 3.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:18 pm 
Stegosaurus

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-replacement_fertility

Quote:
Taken globally, the total fertility rate at replacement is 2.33 children per woman.

not 2 or 3, 2 max if we want the population to stabilize.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:28 pm 
Stegosaurus

This is interesting to me as in Canada certain Conservative politicians talk about how we [Canadians] need to reproduce more, as we are not reproducing at a high enough rate to sustain our population, and we are dependent on immigration (which some Conservative politicians are opposed to). But I suppose Conservatives aren't known for their well-thought out arguments.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm 
Stegosaurus

lobsteriffic wrote:
This is interesting to me as in Canada certain Conservative politicians talk about how we [Canadians] need to reproduce more, as we are not reproducing at a high enough rate to sustain our population, and we are dependent on immigration (which some Conservative politicians are opposed to). But I suppose Conservatives aren't known for their well-thought out arguments.

Translation: white people aren't breeding enough to keep Canada from turning brown.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 pm 
Stegosaurus

beforewisdom wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Translation: white people aren't breeding enough to keep Canada from turning brown.

Ha, precisely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:51 am 
Gorilla

lobsteriffic wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Ha, precisely.

I know what you mean. My mom always says, "it's the blacks, hispanics who have tons of kids." When really white people have just as much children. Plus she believes in having tons of children too. She only cares about overpopulation concerns when a different ethnicity is doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:08 pm 
Stegosaurus

Ryofire wrote:
I know what you mean. My mom always says, "it's the blacks, hispanics who have tons of kids." When really white people have just as much children. Plus she believes in having tons of children too. She only cares about overpopulation concerns when a different ethnicity is doing it.

It is not a myth.

Those demographics tend to be poor. The poor have more children. For a number of reasons, rational, not rational, good and bad

It is also one of the reasons why adoption is not the universal answer to overpopulation ( aside from those parents WANTING their children ). Call it racist, but people want to adopt babies that look like them. The people who can afford to adopt are white. The majority of the world's orphans or babies put up for adoption because their parents are poor......tend not to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:43 pm 
Gorilla

beforewisdom wrote:
Ryofire wrote:

It is not a myth.

Those demographics tend to be poor. The poor have more children. For a number of reasons, rational, not rational, good and bad

It is also one of the reasons why adoption is not the universal answer to overpopulation ( aside from those parents WANTING their children ). Call it racist, but people want to adopt babies that look like them. The people who can afford to adopt are white. The majority of the world's orphans or babies put up for adoption because their parents are poor......tend not to be.

There are white people who also live in poverty, who have tons of children, trust me, come to the projects in South Boston. It sickens me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 am 
Gorilla

Overpopulation is a myth. Made up thing. We have resources to feed everyone on this planet. We just need to change the capitalistic system. It is not the overpopulation that makes people hungry, it is the greed of the people who run our societies and own the means of production. We need revolution. Anarchy, yes!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:06 pm 
Gorilla

vege wrote:
Overpopulation is a myth. Made up thing. We have resources to feed everyone on this planet. We just need to change the capitalistic system. It is not the overpopulation that makes people hungry, it is the greed of the people who run our societies and own the means of production. We need revolution. Anarchy, yes!

It's only a myth when it comes to world hunger.

Other then that I strongly disagree, it's not a myth at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:55 pm 
Stegosaurus

2097 wrote:
One day the power will go back to the governments...

Not to get even further off-topic here, but the gov't. having too much power scares me the most. It's the government I fear more than anything else, no matter WHICH party is in power. What ever happened to the people having the power and not needing someone to take care of us as if we're children who don't know how to run our own lives? :wink:

Now, everyone may resume discussing overpopulation and such once again :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:20 pm 
Stegosaurus

vege wrote:

A myth? Do you think The National Geographic is wrong that there will be 7 billion people at the end of 2011 or 11 billion by 2050. Did you watch the video? Do you want to live in world of megacities, without habitat for animals? Without greenspaces ?

Lets assume a communist utopia takes over the world. Providing food, homes and a life for 7 - 11 billion people will cost resources and pollution.....regardless of the type of government. Look at the most populace countries. Human life and quality of life is cheap in both.

Do you think that is a myth? Do you want that world for yourself, your children or other people.

Do you think it is likely that there will be a world communist government, one that will support democracy and one that will be able to take care of 11 billion people by 2050?

I don't think it is likely and I don't want an overcrowded polluted world without forrests where human life is cheap. The more realistic option than a global communist government is to talk to people respectfully about population issues and convince them to have fewer kids.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:37 pm 
Rabbit

A planet with 7 billion vegans wouldn't be as much of a strain on planet earth as a 7 billion predominantly omnivore population clearly is.
I don't think the problem is inherently down to sheer numbers of people but the habits of people on this planet, which manifests in the dominant activity of animal consumption, over consumption and the ephemeral nature of a capitalist world view. If we waved a magic wand and the world switched to a world view that was vegan and the opposite of capitalism (whatever that looks like). The pressure we put our planet would reduce dramatically. But this doesn't mean population levels increasing isn't an important issue, with this new world view less land would be taken up by farming and mega-factories. People still need spaces to live in, a place to call home, which affects directly other animals on this planet by limiting their natural habitat. From one point of view, it is probably better for other sentient creatures that we carry on building megacities, rather than an ever increasing spreading of the suburban wonderland.

Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:58 pm 
Gorilla

Beforewisdom, I don't know where did you get the idea I am propagating communism? I said ANARCHISM not communism :D
Please, get some information about this, before you fire at me :wink:
I maybe expressed myself incorrectly, I know population is growing, but the OVERpopulation IS a myth. There is enough space for everybody on this planet. And yes, there is enough food, especially if people slowly change their diet to predominantly vegan