Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where to buy clothes?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm 
Elephant

Specifically, where is the cheapest place to buy fair trade and/or organic clothing? Everywhere I look online it's $30 just for a t-shirt! I understand that you have to pay for quality but really??

Post subject: Re: Where to buy clothes?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 pm 
Elephant

So we have a bunch of vegans that don't care about what their clothes do for workers or the planet? :/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:14 pm 
Stegosaurus

These days I buy most of my stuff second-hand. Sorry I'm not more help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:05 am 
Stegosaurus

I have a hell of a time fitting into most normal stuff (MUCH worse for organic or hemp shirts), and combined with my past bad experiences with so many of the "high quality" organic and fair-trade items that fell apart on me after a few wears, I pretty much gave up on a lot of it. Now I just buy things that fit well, are comfortable, and appear to be capable of lasting me a good run before wearing out. Too many of the pricey items that are supposed to be of exceptional quality for fair-trade/organic clothing are comparable to the quality you get at Old Navy - sure, it may look okay when you first buy it, but if it survives one season and is still wearable, you're ahead of the curve.

I used to do all I could to buy more such things, but when you pay $30+ for a t-shirt and it's worthless after 4 washings, you get pretty soured on it. It isn't really helping the planet any if you have to spend more for something that falls apart quickly and needs to be replaced, so in the end, I realized that having to discard/donate half my wardrobe every season was more detrimental to the environment than getting something that lasts :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 am 
Gorilla

VeganEssentials wrote:
I have a hell of a time fitting into most normal stuff (MUCH worse for organic or hemp shirts), and combined with my past bad experiences with so many of the "high quality" organic and fair-trade items that fell apart on me after a few wears, I pretty much gave up on a lot of it. Now I just buy things that fit well, are comfortable, and appear to be capable of lasting me a good run before wearing out. Too many of the pricey items that are supposed to be of exceptional quality for fair-trade/organic clothing are comparable to the quality you get at Old Navy - sure, it may look okay when you first buy it, but if it survives one season and is still wearable, you're ahead of the curve.

I used to do all I could to buy more such things, but when you pay $30+ for a t-shirt and it's worthless after 4 washings, you get pretty soured on it. It isn't really helping the planet any if you have to spend more for something that falls apart quickly and needs to be replaced, so in the end, I realized that having to discard/donate half my wardrobe every season was more detrimental to the environment than getting something that lasts :wink:

Ok, so the "fitting into normal stuff" isn't nearly so much of an issue for me :lachmal:, but I'm with you regarding buying stuff that lasts. I had the greatest, most comfortable organic bamboo shirt...until I wore a hole in the shoulder (???) 3 months into owning it. Bamboo may be a renewable resource, but the $40 it cost isn't ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:44 am 
Stegosaurus

I've had similar thoughts about organic produce ( for some reason, organic whole grains and legumes have always been reasonably priced ) that is outrageously priced. It isn't doing the planet any good if most people can't afford to use it. If it can't be made affordable for most people ( which I don't believe ) than it isn't a realistic way of helping.

Telling people that they have had it good without appreciating that they have had it good and that they just have to fork over more of their income for food likely isn't going to work on a significant scale either.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:40 pm 
Rabbit

Fallen_Horse wrote:
Specifically, where is the cheapest place to buy fair trade and/or organic clothing? Everywhere I look online it's $30 just for a t-shirt! I understand that you have to pay for quality but really??

Why wear clothes when you can go nude? :wink:

This website has some good info on the ethical standing of clothing companies http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/

Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:06 pm 
Elephant

johnboy74 wrote:
Why wear clothes when you can go nude? :wink:

Because it's currently 45 degrees outside :D
I also found http://www.goodguide.com/ which seems legit...