Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: predator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:11 pm 
Manatee

A question I frequently get asked is "if we shouldn't eat meat, then why is our facial structure that of a predator"? I do understand this to mean the placement of the eyes in the skull . . . directly in front. My response of choice is that I was blessed with free will and compassion . . . we all make our own choices. I choose not to support corrupt, flesh hungry corporate predators so as to bloat and poison my system, just as they bloat and poison our planet. It's not about structure, but about choice and love. I do admit that this is one of the more intelligent questions that I get. It is far more interesting than the usual "fuck off, sissy pants"!

Post subject: Re: predator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 pm 
Stegosaurus

I'm against referencing anatomy. One reason is that I have seen far too many vegans make spurious arguments based on it, which I think hurts animals. Many carnists like to read and will sooner or later hear one of those wrong points. They will walk away and tell their friends how vegans don't know what they are talking about.

In regards to the carnists telling you that only predators have eyes on the front of their head, this time they are wrong.

Many biologists believe that people/homo sapiens/a species of the great apes, evolved from tree dwelling creatures similar to modern day monkeys. Having eyes in the front of the head is a great adaption for living in trees. It makes it far easier to swing from tree to tree ( a forward motion ) and in general navigating around in trees.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

Last edited by beforewisdom on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:48 pm 
Manatee

Steve, I thank you for your sage view on this . . . I will include this in any future responses to this issue. Many thanks! You are wise far beyond your youthful years!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:38 pm 
Stegosaurus

Flattery will get you everywhere :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 pm 
Manatee

of course not flattery . . . just the truth. Geesh!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:13 am 
Gorilla

I don't like to debate anything based on our anatomy. Evolutionary arguments are ridiculous...yes, we evolved as hunter-gatherers, but keep in mind that back in the day, we barely lived to adulthood. There was no heart disease, no diabetes...because nobody lived long enough to develop those conditions! So arguing that we evolved to survive on meat for 80+ years is completely untrue. All you can say is that we evolved to survive until puberty on an omnivorous diet. Hell, women died left right and centre from childbirth up until the past century. They didn't have to worry much about colon cancer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 am 
Rabbit

It's not an intelligent question, it's a lazy justification/cop-out for eating meat. It's not about back then, it's about now.

1) No more need for meat for protein or b-vitamins.
2) We can live long lives without it.
3) Build muscle without it.
4) Raise children on the diet.

It's about necessity, empathy and compassion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:04 am 
Gorilla

People need to just accept the fact humans are omnivores and can basically eat anything. We're garbage disposals. But just because you can eat something and survive OK doesn't mean you should.

It's morally, ecologically, and unhealthy with the quality of animal products these days to consume and use animal products.

Enough with the cop outs, do something because it's right. I don't need some knob telling me to do something because my eyes are front and center. Maybe they're their because it helps to see the bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 pm 
Elephant

It's not that we're predators, it's that we're not prey.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:37 pm 
Manatee

I've had the same conversation. Not all herbivores in nature have their eyes on their sides. And vice versa, not all omni/carnivores have their eyes in front. Take the eagles for example. Most apes are herbivores and are very closely related to us humans. Im not sure about our teeth but it seems they are not very carnivorous. Our digestive system is not optimized to deal with meat either. It is optimized for fruit and nuts. Yes, our digestive system can deal with coal as well but this doesn't mean it's good to eat coal :zunge: So the biology argument is in our favour.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:50 pm 
Stegosaurus

2097 wrote:
Next time you come across a meat eater, tell him/her to chase the chicken, kill it with his/her bare hands and eat it raw without any tools!

If the meat eater replies back telling you to live off a diet of tropical fruits and nuts in Italy without the aide of modern transportation his logic would be about as good and as faulty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:43 pm 
Stegosaurus

2097 wrote:
Transportation brings me my fruit/nuts and brings the meat eater a live/dead chicken. Will the meat eater eat the meat raw? without modification?

Your point was that people can't eat meat without using technology. My point was that a carnist could turn that same logic on you. A raw foodist teenager in Italy living off of tropical fruits and nuts also can't eat without technology ( ships, trucks, refrigeration, etc.. ).