Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bittman: Go 'semi-vegan'
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:52 pm 
Elephant

I wonder about his strategy. Vegan once-a-week? Sounds pretty dang lazy to me. I think he is a believer in 'slow and steady wins the race' and he is attempting to simply introduce people to vegan meals, but at the same time, if you are reading his books and articles, you are probably half vegan already! Not sure if I like his influences or not...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/mark-bittman-going-semi-vegan.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

Post subject: Re: Bittman: Go 'semi-vegan'
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:41 pm 
Rabbit

Do you also find it strange that he only wants people to try it once a week? And why doesn't he mention meat alternatives.... for someone who needs the "idea" of meat, meatless ground and items like that could really help. If he really wanted to make people think about what they were eating, I think he would have put a little more effort into the idea. I feel like it's just a piece to be a piece.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 pm 
Rabbit

On one hand, I'm glad Bittman is getting the V word out, but part of me gets annoyed by articles like this because they focus solely on the dietary aspects of veganism and seem temporary (i.e., "I'll go vegan for x amount of time, but ultimately resume eating animal products.") Perhaps all his writing about plant-based meals will one day push him to go all the way. Ginny Messina, co-author of Vegan for Life, has an entry on her blog from Bittman's "Vegan Before Six" phase that neatly sums up my skepticism: http://www.theveganrd.com/2009/07/vegan ... forts.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 am 
Rabbit

Bittman is a great place to start. When my hubby asked me what I wanted for my b'day I said I wanted him to read: Food Matters. He did & I'll be d@mned! My hubby is now very motivated to change some of his meat habits. Granted we were already moving a long those lines but now he plans to read: Food Rules by Pollen :D