What's the biggest motivator of your vegan diet?

Bonn1997

What's the biggest motivator of your vegan diet?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the animals initially...but then you can't help constantly reading about all of the health benefits and the environmental benefits and the fact that the world would be without hunger if we diverted the resources we put into animal farming into farming crops for the rest of the starving world...

This is my view too. I was curious about the composition of the forum here though.

For me it was an ethical choice.

I don’t buy into the hierarchy that puts Humans above Animals or any other hierarchy that people have made-up to justify doing very bad things to others because they want to.

I just see animals as non-human people with similar feelings and emotions as me. They want to live just as much as I do, and their self interests are as important to them as mine are to me.

Kenny

Interesting. I've never really understood how someone could do it just for health because I think it would be so easy to make exceptions. Your health isn't really going to deteriorate if you have a slice of pepperoni pizza once a month for example. I'm not trying to criticize health vegans; it's just a rationale that's hard for me to fathom.

Interesting. I've never really understood how someone could do it just for health because I think it would be so easy to make exceptions. Your health isn't really going to deteriorate if you have a slice of pepperoni pizza once a month for example. I'm not trying to criticize health vegans; it's just a rationale that's hard for me to fathom.

It's an identity level change. Another example for that would be smoking. Couple years ago I used to smoke, today I wouldn't touch that crap. When you have a certain self image in your head it will make your behavior match that self image.

I stopped eating junk food and stuff like pizza 2 years before even discovering Vegan Nutrition. The switch for me was much easier than many ethical Vegans I saw. Mainly cause I believe I just did some more replacements to a more healthier Diet.

I don't believe in moderation when it comes to stuff that I think they are junk for my body.

Western science can't see the whole process that creates bad health before something happens. But the process is there. So I don't need to wait for something to happen. I believe in prevention and I refuse to put in my system any foods that I think to be far from natural and human body friendly. So it's very simple when you make a perception switch of that kind. There are some stuff that I used to eat and I don't even see them as food anymore. I used to drink bottle of coke everyday. Today coke is no more than a bottle of poison for me. We learn to eat certain foods and avoid others so we can unlearn it.

It's an identity level change. Another example for that would be smoking. Couple years ago I used to smoke, today I wouldn't touch that crap. When you have a certain self image in your head it will make your behavior match that self image.

I stopped eating junk food and stuff like pizza 2 years before even discovering Vegan Nutrition. The switch for me was much easier than many ethical Vegans I saw. Mainly cause I believe I just did some more replacements to a more healthier Diet.

I don't believe in moderation when it comes to stuff that I think they are junk for my body.

Western science can't see the whole process that creates bad health before something happens. But the process is there. So I don't need to wait for something to happen. I believe in prevention and I refuse to put in my system any foods that I think to be far from natural and human body friendly. So it's very simple when you make a perception switch of that kind. There are some stuff that I used to eat and I don't even see them as food anymore. I used to drink bottle of coke everyday. Today coke is no more than a bottle of poison for me. We learn to eat certain foods and avoid others so we can unlearn it.

Fair enough. I do see what you're saying.

I'm onboard with all of the reasons.

I've noticed that most vegans are vegans and the vegans who stay vegans do so because they don't want to hurt animals.

Environmentalists tend toward reducing their animal product use rather than eliminating it.

Health nuts tend not to have a problem with taking in moderate amounts of animal products occasionally unless they are the type of health nut to identify with and base their self esteem on a special diet.

Most environmentalists that ive met are huge hypocrites. This one guy i dated would go on these rants about eating organic meat only and then he'd be eating sausage from a diner. I guess that's not as hypocritical as claiming to be an environmentalist and eating ANY meat tho. at least thats what bothered me the most.

I've noticed that most vegans are vegans and the vegans who stay vegans do so because they don't want to hurt animals.

Environmentalists tend toward reducing their animal product use rather than eliminating it.

Health nuts tend not to have a problem with taking in moderate amounts of animal products occasionally unless they are the type of health nut to identify with and base their self esteem on a special diet.

Are these statistical facts ? I don't know if you can generalize.

At least here, I actually see many that do it for Ethical reasons. But they are still stuck in their old beliefs regarding what's healthy and what not. Or they don't care about making their Nutrition healthy enough. They just remove animal products and eat Vegan junk. Without including enough replacements or eating healthy Vegan Diet. So it makes them blame Vegan nutrition and sometimes break or go back to an "easier" Vegetarian Diet.

At least here, I actually see many that do it for Ethical reasons. But they are still stuck in their old beliefs regarding what's healthy and what not. Or they don't care about making their Nutrition healthy enough. They just remove animal products and eat Vegan junk. Without including enough replacements or eating healthy Vegan Diet. So it makes them blame Vegan nutrition and sometimes break or go back to an "easier" Vegetarian Diet.

I don't know if what you've said is right or not but it doesn't seem relevant. If someone is a vegan solely for animal rights/welfare reasons and, hypothetically, they stick to their vegan diet by eating a lot of vegan junk food, then they are still achieving their goals (helping animals).

I don't know if what you've said is right or not but it doesn't seem relevant. If someone is a vegan solely for animal rights/welfare reasons and, hypothetically, they stick to their vegan diet by eating a lot of vegan junk food, then they are still achieving their goals (helping animals).

By "here" I meant here where I live not in this Forum.

You took a small part of what I said.

If they don't build a good enough Vegan Diet or don't really believe that Vegan Nutrition is also healthy. And in the long run cause of that end up going back. They don't really achieve their goal. That's pretty relevant to me. My point is that the survival instinct in humans is primal to any conscience/ethics needs. I don't really care for what reasons people go Vegan. Just saying I don't think one can generalize and say that one reason is better than the other. Also it's good to have more than one reason.

• 1 month later...

Ok I'm busted. I'm one of those people who tried to go vegan after but ended up going back to that "easier" vegertarian diet. But seriously I am a vegetarian/almost vegan for a health reasons as well as consideration for animals. I don't eat eggs or milk straight however I may cheat and eat non vegan foods like the subway veggie max, the bk veggie burger or donuts made with milk. I am not perfect but I am always stiving for perfection in my diet, lifestyle and walk with God.

First of all there's healthiness. Then there's that not hurting animals makes for less karma, which means personal healthiness once again. So for selfish reasons, don't hurt animals. Also being reminded that meat eaters are like parasites that act like retards.

Does being smarter count as healthiness in this option?

I will never forget veggieboards' stupid things omnivores say thread. Two girls are making coffee. One of them puts soy milk in theirs. The other one says "eww, bean juice!"

For me it was the animal welfare first and better health was a bonus. If an omnivore diet and a vegan diet were 100% equal in being healthy I still would be vegan. I agree with Kenny.f and don't believe we have the right to use animals for our purposes.

I have two friends we went vegan for health reasons first and the animals a distant second and both gave it up. One claimed it was too hard since she moved in with her meat eating son and his family and it was too expensive. She complains about how crappy she feels but doesn't really care about the animals she is killing. The other said she couldn't keep weight on (she is one of those annoying women who has always struggled to gain weight) with a vegan diet. Again no regrets about the animals she is killing.

Not generalizing about vegans for health reasons, just relating two personal experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I became a vegan first and foremost for the animals, and because I didn't want to support the factory farm industry anymore. Since becoming a member on this forum I have learned to appreciate the health benefits of living a vegan life, and have also learned a lot about the environmental footprint of certain foods, and how a vegan diet causes much less impact on the environment than eating meat, and dairy products.