Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Mother forcing vegetarianism on me!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:55 am 
Gorilla

Richard wrote:
hey, sorry to read this, it can be a really awkward situation.

First of all, people go through moody periods, especially during puberty / adolescence, and isn't necessarily related to food in the first place.

I can't see the argument for eating dairy / eggs for health, but her point of view is further damaged because she's talking about apple pie - not a health food at all.

But, to try to mend the situation, I don't know what else to say beyond what others have said. Be positive about the situation, help her with cooking and washing up and everything else, so that there is no ammunition for her to use.

To try to convince her of the healthiness of veganism, perhaps show her some of the profiles from this website, of people who you think she would be impressed by.

thanks!

Yeah, I showed her some of the profiles but she said that it is healthy when you're finished growing but while you're still growing it isn't a sufficient diet. Also something that doesn't help is that my sister (a year younger than me and former vegen now vegetarian just told my mother about how Soy letchin or something causes espergous syndrome and what not and how soy in general 'attacks the brain'. the article apparently went on to talk about how soy letchin puts the body in a state of ketosis and makes you burn 80% of your fat stores instead of the normal 20% and that this is extremely dangerous for the human body. kidney problems were also linked to soy letchin and soy in general. She then also showed my mother an article which spoke about how tofu can be detrimental for mens health. I think my sister has encouraged my mother which I am really pissed about! Mabye I will go onto a soy free vegan diet soon if that will settle the dispute once and for all.

Bottom line now, I have figured out that my mother and sister just don't want me to be vegan

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:19 am 
Manatee

Nicholas_Weir wrote:
Duncan_Idaho wrote:
Simply don't eat non vegan meals, it's not that hard. No need to explain yourself either. And I'd suggest washing your own dishes and may be cooking for yourself. Ask her to teach you to cook the vegan foods she knows.

Sorry, but I don't think you totally understand what my mother is unhappy with. She isn't happy that I am vegan while I am still growing, as she thinks it is effecting my mood and body as I am still growing. I am not trying to be rude.

I do:) All women want action, not talk. And attitude. You may be Ronnie Coleman but if you don't help in the house, there's probably something wrong with you. As a fitness professional, I know how extremely hard it is to convince people in things that they do not care about. Only results and action help! Therefore, help with the house (this means you are in perfect health), ask her to teach you how to cook something vegan (social moment that she will enjoy). Convincing someone that veganism is healthier is very hard. It means changing their life. How you wake up, what books you read ... Don't scare her, people don't want to change, especially after 25. And you are her boy, she wants to take care about you. Teaching you something like cooking would make her feel that she has done something for you and she will be proud with her boy.
Apart from this, do not let anyone, especially relatives, influence you. And in this world, you can make only yourself happy. You can help people but just to give them a lift off from time to time. Otherwise they will either feel pushed too hard or will grow dependent on you - either case is counterproductive for happiness.
You can, of course, tell her to go to hell but I don't think you want to treat her this way, therefore I'm suggesting the above :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:29 am 
Gorilla

Duncan_Idaho wrote:
Nicholas_Weir wrote:
Duncan_Idaho wrote:
Simply don't eat non vegan meals, it's not that hard. No need to explain yourself either. And I'd suggest washing your own dishes and may be cooking for yourself. Ask her to teach you to cook the vegan foods she knows.

Sorry, but I don't think you totally understand what my mother is unhappy with. She isn't happy that I am vegan while I am still growing, as she thinks it is effecting my mood and body as I am still growing. I am not trying to be rude.

I do:) All women want action, not talk. And attitude. You may be Ronnie Coleman but if you don't help in the house, there's probably something wrong with you. As a fitness professional, I know how extremely hard it is to convince people in things that they do not care about. Only results and action help! Therefore, help with the house (this means you are in perfect health), ask her to teach you how to cook something vegan (social moment that she will enjoy). Convincing someone that veganism is healthier is very hard. It means changing their life. How you wake up, what books you read ... Don't scare her, people don't want to change, especially after 25. And you are her boy, she wants to take care about you. Teaching you something like cooking would make her feel that she has done something for you and she will be proud with her boy.
Apart from this, do not let anyone, especially relatives, influence you. And in this world, you can make only yourself happy. You can help people but just to give them a lift off from time to time. Otherwise they will either feel pushed too hard or will grow dependent on you - either case is counterproductive for happiness.
You can, of course, tell her to go to hell but I don't think you want to treat her this way, therefore I'm suggesting the above :)

Wow, thank's Duncan! I will not give up now :D

My Training Journal:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:04 am 
Rabbit

How old are you? I'm 15 and parents as well are still desperately trying to put me back on eggs and fish :/ Something about omega fatty acids for brain health. Also, where I am, the easiest source of vegetable protein to attain is from soy and beans, and I eat lots of tofu, soaked, raw soy beans and drink soy milk o.O Haven't felt anything detrimental.... yet.

Post subject: HELP!!! Mother forcing vegetarianism on me!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:14 am 
Rabbit

You can get Omega 3's from flax oil and DHA from algea. There are many oils with these supplements in them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:04 pm 
Rabbit

I take one of these every day. http://www.ovega.com. You can get Omega 3 from flax etc, however the type Omega 3 you need for brain health is DHA and EPA. Found in oily fish yes... but where do the fish get it from? Algae!

The type of Omega 3 in flax is ALA, which is the pre-cursor to EPA & DHA. However our bodies aren't very good at this conversion (pretty poor in fact). If you can afford a supplement, it's a better way to go!

DHA and EPA are essential for brain function, including mood!

Last edited by Vegercize on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:44 pm 
Rabbit

Ahah! Thanks for the replies. I had heard of flax before and told my parents about it, but they said something about how some people don't absorb it as well as others (What Vegercize said), and it isn't very good in the first place. But I'll definitely look into algae!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:06 am 
Rabbit

Other posters have given great advice so I'll just add a tip I use. Sometimes I just don't want to tell people why I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, honey etc. so I just tell them I don't like some flavor or non-vegan item in it. If its a cranberry granola bar with honey in it I'll tell them I'm not a fan of cranberries, if its potato salad I tell them I don't like onions. People accept that and I get to eat my veggies, beans or whatever in peace.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:07 am 
Gorilla

pv vegan wrote:
Other posters have given great advice so I'll just add a tip I use. Sometimes I just don't want to tell people why I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, honey etc. so I just tell them I don't like some flavor or non-vegan item in it. If its a cranberry granola bar with honey in it I'll tell them I'm not a fan of cranberries, if its potato salad I tell them I don't like onions. People accept that and I get to eat my veggies, beans or whatever in peace.

Good luck!

Cool thanks, good idea!

My Training Journal:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:28 pm 
Rabbit

Since she is so sure eggs and dairy will make you healthy, have her watch "Forks Over Knives" and/ or read "The China Study." These show the negative health effects of a non-plant-based diet, esp one including dairy. It's a powerful doc. She will understand your health reasons for not consuming animal products.
You can take flax seed oil and DHA capsules. You guys can research vegan supplements together.

Also, get substitutes for eggs, butter, milk. Vegweb.com has thousands of vegan recipes and about every substitution imaginable. Cook with her some nights-- show her how easy it is to veganize many dishes-- esp apple pie! Find lots of great vegan recipes, fix them with her for Vegan Night for the family. Wash your own dishes.

Your veganism can help you two bond-- then your mother will view your food choices in a positive light. Now, she is seeing them as separating you from the family and making you unhealthy. Change the way she views them and change her attitude about them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm 
Gorilla

Belle.le.disko wrote:
Since she is so sure eggs and dairy will make you healthy, have her watch "Forks Over Knives" and/ or read "The China Study." These show the negative health effects of a non-plant-based diet, esp one including dairy. It's a powerful doc. She will understand your health reasons for not consuming animal products.
You can take flax seed oil and DHA capsules. You guys can research vegan supplements together.

Also, get substitutes for eggs, butter, milk. Vegweb.com has thousands of vegan recipes and about every substitution imaginable. Cook with her some nights-- show her how easy it is to veganize many dishes-- esp apple pie! Find lots of great vegan recipes, fix them with her for Vegan Night for the family. Wash your own dishes.

Your veganism can help you two bond-- then your mother will view your food choices in a positive light. Now, she is seeing them as separating you from the family and making you unhealthy. Change the way she views them and change her attitude about them.

Thanks. Yeah I already have egg substitutes etc, but my mother just doesn't like the fact I am vegan. She has heard more bad about soy products etc throughout her life than good and my sister showing her research stating soy letchin attacks the brain didn't help either. Howwever, i will try to get her to watch forkss over knives as i own it but my mother is pretty set in heer beliefs and I am not 1005 sure eit will convince her of my decisions. It is definately worth an attempt though!

Thanks again :D

My Training Journal:

Post subject: HELP!!! Mother forcing vegetarianism on me!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:24 pm 
Rabbit

I don't know what all this talk is about soy lechtin attaking the brain. I've read that it is a good source of Choline which is part of the B group of vitamins and helps the nervous system as well as cellular tissue function.

Maybe you should find science that debates what your sister is bringing up or even debate the diet she ate when she was vegan. When young people tend to go vegan they tend to not eat well at all potato chips and garbage etc. See what she ate as that is probably part of her problems.

Figt back wit facts and science. Find papers on the poor health effects of animal products dairy products etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:00 am 
Gorilla

Okay, thank's ForwardConcern :D

My Training Journal: