Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fish
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 am 
Rabbit

Hi Guys,

I see a lot of people saying that before they were vegan, they were a pescatarian. If it's the same as described on this wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism) then I have a question: Why stop eating meat but keep eating fish?
I never understood what, besides some kind of intolerance / allergy, drives people to make a choice like that. It can't be ethics right? I mean: there's plenty of cruelty in catching fish and there's plenty of environment-destruction in there too... So can any of you ex-pescaratians explain that to me? I would certainly help me deal with the people I bump into on vegan/vegetarian get-together's that tell me they still eat fish.
Up till now I've been very judgmental about it :)

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Fish
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:11 am 
Elephant

Because fish provides DHA?

I don't really know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:42 am 
Rabbit

So do algae... But if you're willing to make that choice for health (however, getting DHA from algae is much healthier) then why stop eating meat in the first place? Makes no sense to me... hence the question.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:20 pm 
Elephant

Huh? It all depends on why you would stop eating meat in the first place. Fish is tastier and cheaper than algae, plus it adds protein and B12 to the diet. I think most pescatarians are doing it because they don't want to eat much meat, but they do want meat, so they pick a meat that's on the healthy end of the meat spectrum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:10 am 
Site Admin

In my experience with pescatarians, it is because they feel less empathy for fish, or no empathy at all. I've even met lots of people who say they are vegetarian, but eat fish - so they don't even consider fish to be "alive". I have met a few people who say they eat fish for health - and it is misguided, and in reality I think they are lazy more than anything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:24 am 
Rabbit

Well, thanks guys for the response. I don't think I agree with "on the healthy end of the meat spectrum", but I understand what you mean. As I said: I saw a lot of people (erm, at least 2 in the few posts I've actually read, lol) on here who are ex-pescatarian. So maybe they can just give us their own vision on it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 am 
Gorilla

Our oceans and rivers are over fished. Of course everyone thinks fish is healthy. Enjoy your mercury, that's what you get for devastating an ecosystem.

If fish isn't meat then I am a giant fire breathing robot from Uranus. It has a complex nervous system.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:22 am 
Rabbit

Can't say I was pescatarian.
But you can ask the same thing about vegetarian eating eggs and milk. Personally I think milk is worse than meat and other animal products.
I agree with what Richard said.
Also I think some might be scared they won't get all the nutrition they need on a total Vegan menu. Most of the people are seriously misinformed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:07 pm 
Rabbit

Not only are they misinformed, they are also, most of the time, eating very unhealthy, with or without fish. I've seen people with fast-food diets not wanting to give up meat for health issues. What can you do but laugh at them?

Miss informed, stupid and afraid of what they don't know.

And what Cellar Yeti said: fish is so super toxic...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:51 pm 
Elephant

It actually very much depends on what kind of fish and where the fish is from, but I don't suppose I need to be arguing about it on the vegan forum! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:32 am 
Rabbit

I don't know... tilapia? Still a lot of junk in there to keep them from getting sick (when bred).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:49 pm 
Rabbit

I ate fish before becoming vegan. I had a pet pig and I visited cows at a ranch when I was young so that turned me off to eating pork and beef. Fish I always considered healthier and I liked the taste of it. I also never saw fish the same way as I do other animals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:59 pm 
Rabbit

I did it because I prefered it over beef, chicken, & turkey. I also thought it was healthier but then was eating tilapia because of the price, when it is an unhealthy fish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:12 pm 
Rabbit

I think they follow the whole out of sight out of mind lifestyle, most people never really see fish in their life. When I first became a Vegetarian before becoming a Vegan I completely eliminated any source of meat from diet. I thought that if I ate fish then how was I a true Vegetarian and what difference was I making to the world I would have still been supporting the killing of animals, so I never thought for one moment that it would be fine for me to eat fish while being a Vegetarian.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:23 pm 
Elephant

Well where I'm from a lot of people who eat chicken/turkey are "vegetarian". LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100