what were you like as a kid?

Saulo

I was good kid with a ton of energy, but not enough ways to utilize it. As an adult I reflect on that and know my behavior matters and burning up energy the smart way is a good way for me to cope. I remember as a kid I also didn't know how to stand up for myself when I was bullied and I never EVER told my parents when I was bullied in school. I suppose I was afraid of my parents judging me or I simply didn't learn yet that communication is important or that my parents could help make it stop. Now as an adult I feel like I have 'catching up' to do. I am very communicative and I hold everyone I know to a very high standard of communication hehe perhaps too high. I am a little more sensitive to people's tones and don't let people get far enough to hurt my feelings. Damaged and bitter but I am working very hard to take control of my mental health and my happiness.

• 4 months later...

I was... pretty much how I am now. I actually haven't changed a whole lot personality wise, then again I'm only 21. Close relationship with my dad who is my best friend, good school ethic, and I am about as 'vanilla' as it gets. I've never even gotten drunk.

Never gotten drunk? Haha you straight-edgers are missing out. I mean once in your life hahah. Just playing I respect good health choices. Lyric is that your real name? I ask because I have only known 1 person named Lyric in my life and that's my cousin.

Apparently, as a kid I was awesome but I didn't know it. Also, I was isolated and depressed but I knew it, plenty. That combo led to a jaw-dropping level of awareness of who and what was around me (Ryan Reynolds calls it being "an antennae with skin") which translated into some pretty incredible skills that I parlayed into a business. I've spent my whole life searching for kindred spirits. Now I know that they'll show up when I stop lookin'.

Oh, and I have loved fire since birth--makin' it, smellin' it, pokin' at it with a stick. Watching neon embers pulse and throb in a campfire deep in the wilderness on a cold, cold night is better than any video game.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

I was an ugly loser...and loner...I hated myself and wanted to die starting at the age of 8. I got straight A's at school but always failed physical education/gym class because I felt gross in my own body and didn't enjoy moving...or being bullied. (Wish they could all see me now that I'm ripped with a 6 pack and could kick all their a**es)

I never had many friends.. just one or 2, sometimes none. I have a death fear of eye contact so had/have no close personal relationships with people, not even my family, although I crave it.

When I was a kid I developed PTSD and OCD/anxiety troubles because of trauma involving animal cruelty, and I started seeing images in my head of animals being mutilated 24/7 (which I still do and it still causes a lot of stress/anxiety/depression problems) Naturally I became vegan..but not until my 20's which is odd...I guess when my parents were no longer in charge of feeding me....

I also have never experienced an alcoholic beverage...or a cigarette, or illegal drug...or a coffee... probably because I had no friends to introduce those things to me...

I was the last in line out of 5 kids (with a 10 year gap from me to the next, they're all within 2-3 years of each other), spoiled and semi-bratty but a completely insecure kid who was considered to be the genius of the family due to my reading books to my parents shortly after I turned 2. Couldn't get enough self-education back then, if I wasn't playing, I was reading everything I could get my hands on regarding animals, human anatomy, or whatever else seemed interesting (my favorite thing was my encyclopedia collection, a young 'nerd in training' I suppose). Did great in school for anything non-physical, but I was already quite overweight by the time I was in 1st grade, and it only got worse from there. Kept growing both upward and outward to where I was 6-12" taller than every kid in my class by 4th grade and was nearly double the weight of the average student in my grade. Felt depression starting around puberty, combined with my weight that only made things worse. By middle school, I declared to my mom "Nobody likes the smart kid, I'm done with it", and began my descent into no longer trying to do much of anything for a good stretch. Lots of regret for wasted years, spent too much time trying to figure out what was wrong inside my head as well as how to be "cool" with others, neither of which worked out with any real success. But, despite being surly as hell from about age 11 onward, lots of great memories in there from an era of believing that anything was possible and the the world and those who inhabit it were inherently good. My, how my outlook changed as I got older, some things for the better, some for the worse!

I've always been quiet, but popular for some reason. I'm always the most shy person among a usually noisy and popular group I guess. I was never good with girls. I got a bit of attention but I think I was just oblivious to all of that or didn't care until after high school because I was too busy skating every afternoon and having fun. I didn't try alcohol until I was 17. First real girlfriend was when I was 21.

Looking back at old school report cards, the comments from the teachers are always along the lines of "Sam is a quiet, hard working student, who is often distracted by others".

just a backwoods, Midwestern, meat and potatoes, church on Sundays, football and fishing kind of a kid. So much has changed for the better

This part is hysterical, especially if you meant that last bit (italics my own) as sardonic irony. If so, I feel your Midwestern pain. I still describe the surroundings of my youth as a place with a satellite dish in every yard, a casserole dish on every table, boring, churchy, and white. Like a massive, slow moving herd of overstuffed albino lemmings. If you've ever spent a summer detassling, driven thirty miles just to cruise an actual downtown, or scrubbed cow shit out of dressy sandals, then you've got our accent. Or lack thereof. Thank goodness for the Rocky Mountains.

Baby Herc

Ted I feel ya on the typical midwesterner. I was a typical bratty loud child. I only time I stopped talking was when I was sleeping lol. Always getting into trouble. Spent summers on a dairy farm, eating loads of butter, cheese and fat laced foods. Surprised I didn't have a heart attack at a young age.....

just a backwoods, Midwestern, meat and potatoes, church on Sundays, football and fishing kind of a kid. So much has changed for the better

This part is hysterical, especially if you meant that last bit (italics my own) as sardonic irony. If so, I feel your Midwestern pain. I still describe the surroundings of my youth as a place with a satellite dish in every yard, a casserole dish on every table, boring, churchy, and white. Like a massive, slow moving herd of overstuffed albino lemmings. If you've ever spent a summer detassling, driven thirty miles just to cruise an actual downtown, or scrubbed cow shit out of dressy sandals, then you've got our accent. Or lack thereof. Thank goodness for the Rocky Mountains.

Baby Herc

hahahaha i worked as a foreman during my youth for cargill detassling for many summers. so funny.

Ted I feel ya on the typical midwesterner. I was a typical bratty loud child. I only time I stopped talking was when I was sleeping lol. Always getting into trouble. Spent summers on a dairy farm, eating loads of butter, cheese and fat laced foods. Surprised I didn't have a heart attack at a young age.....

sounds close to me, all my friends had pig farms.

cargill detassling

Dekalb, here. Have your forearms healed from all the cuts yet? Are there still streaks of slime and little crawling things in your hair? Can you still feel your own sweat running like a river down the center of your back into the crack of your ass? Do you still wake up screaming because all you can see in your dreams is a waving ocean of demonic corn stalks that taunt you on an endless loop of scratchy, papery laughter? Ah, youth.

all my friends had pig farms.

There was a pig farm and chicken farm to the south, a horse farm to the west, and a dairy farm to the north. We never needed a weather vane to know which direction the wind was coming from.

Baby Herc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...