Any Vegetable Gardeners?

KarakD.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm an intensive gardener and have had some amazing gardens over the years. Once, I had a gardener's dream situation a few years back on five acres with a greenhouse and everything. When I get a report about it up on my website below, I'll give a link to it here.

This year, I'm doing Early Girl, Brandywine, and Sweet 100's tomatoes, sweat peas, corn, cilantro, parsley, lemongrass, red chard, lettuces, peppermint, spearmint, lemonbalm, and anything else I can find space for in my landscape.

Baby Herc

I'm an intensive gardener and have had some amazing gardens over the years. Once, I had a gardener's dream situation a few years back on five acres with a greenhouse and everything. When I get a report about it up on my website below, I'll give a link to it here.

This year, I'm doing Early Girl, Brandywine, and Sweet 100's tomatoes, sweat peas, corn, cilantro, parsley, lemongrass, red chard, lettuces, peppermint, spearmint, lemonbalm, and anything else I can find space for in my landscape.

Baby Herc

That sounds amazing! What growing zone are you in? I'm zone 7.

Are you rain water harvesting? I collect approx. 200 gals every time it rains.

Did you can or preserve any of the tomatoes? I froze mine last year but will try to can some tomato sauce because I'm

sick of all the "natural spices" (HA!) & HFCS listed on every single jar.

I'm no good at lettuces - the rabbits eat everything. How to you protect against varmints?

Yup, I' m an avid gardener, always trying to make use of the little good space I have. Presently have tomatos (much taller than me), spinach, sorrrel, kale, capsicums, herbs, strawberries, corn on the go in my 1x3m plot plus a few pots. I am also fortunate enough to have a couple of plum trees and a persimmon in the back yard.

My dream is to buy out of city property with about 8 acres which I will spend my days developing into a permaculture heaven, plus a completely off the grid home.

Yup, I' m an avid gardener, always trying to make use of the little good space I have. Presently have tomatos (much taller than me), spinach, sorrrel, kale, capsicums, herbs, strawberries, corn on the go in my 1x3m plot plus a few pots. I am also fortunate enough to have a couple of plum trees and a persimmon in the back yard.

My dream is to buy out of city property with about 8 acres which I will spend my days developing into a permaculture heaven, plus a completely off the grid home.

My GF is in Alphabet City. I just showed her these plans for a salad Table We're gonna build a it on her balcony

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/hg601.pdf

I love plums but have sooo many squirrels They eat everything, how do you keep them out've the trees?

Persimmon trees?!?! OMG! How old is your tree? What are the water requirements?

I espaliered 2 pears - they require approx. 55 gals of water a day for fruit setting. Due to loss of European Honey bees I pollinate the trees myself. 215526_1693939232853_1368987145_31355321_2726998_n.jpg

Started spinach & arugula seeds tonight

I'd love to go off the grid & will do so in the near future

Zone 8 here, about to plant my third garden. Sweet 100s, mint, and basil have been our best crops. This year I'm moving the herbs into pots I can bring inside in cooler months. Sweet 100s and Brandywine tomatoes have been started, and assorted bell peppers, jalapenos, Burpless Cucumbers, and blueberries are ready. We want to add a few trees, but haven't decided what other than lemons and lime. The eventual goal is to have an edible landscape.

Zone 8 here, about to plant my third garden. Sweet 100s, mint, and basil have been our best crops. This year I'm moving the herbs into pots I can bring inside in cooler months. Sweet 100s and Brandywine tomatoes have been started, and assorted bell peppers, jalapenos, Burpless Cucumbers, and blueberries are ready. We want to add a few trees, but haven't decided what other than lemons and lime. The eventual goal is to have an edible landscape.

Sweet 100s? I've never heard of that before. Any chance you have pics?

Have you ever heard of a Sweet Lime aka Limetta? http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sweet_lime.html

I bought some the other day & would love to try growing one but it's to cold here.

Love that you are going for fruit trees

My rule of thumb is: Plant what you will eat.

The plan is to put in two rain barrels this year. Last year I cheated somewhat and would put out storage tubs for rain collection on rainy days. Sweet 100s are an easy tomato plant. We plant in raised beds and planted them about 1 1/2 feet deep for strong roots. They took a while to fruit, but when they did, we had handfuls of tomatoes every 3-4 days from three plants.

http://www.burpeehomegardens.com/VegetableHerbGardening/PlantDetails.aspx?plantid=5098

That Sweet Lime is pretty! There's a fantastic garden center here that stocks just about everything that grows well here.

Thanks for the info on Sweet 100s.

-btw- if you have tons of cherry tomatoes in the summer, they are super easy to

grill/roast. Then when they've cold down, put them in freezer bags & store in the freezer.

There is nothing better then pulling out a bag of "YOUR" homegrown veggies in winter & heating

them up. I only have one bag left So this summer I plan to grow over 10 different tomato types.

Before you buy expensive RBs from HomeDepot check w/your local community. They might offer

recycle pickle barrels for a lot less money. They aren't as pretty as some of the store kind but they will save you $$$$

Thanks for the info on Sweet 100s.

-btw- if you have tons of cherry tomatoes in the summer, they are super easy to

grill/roast. Then when they've cold down, put them in freezer bags & store in the freezer.

There is nothing better then pulling out a bag of "YOUR" homegrown veggies in winter & heating

them up. I only have one bag left So this summer I plan to grow over 10 different tomato types.

Thanks for the storage tip. You can do the same with regular tomatoes by cutting them into four pieces, then filling up freezer bags until you're ready for chili, guacamole, and bruschetta in January. By November, my tiny freezer is so jam packed with tomatoes, blackberries, and applesauce, there's almost no room left for ice!

Note: Sweet 100's are not picky. They will grow practically anywhere, anytime. Last summer, Portland had the shortest growing season I have ever seen, maybe two months. I planted a Sweet 100 in crap clay and still got all the cherry tomatoes I could eat.

Baby Herc

We built one of our beds, converted wooden storage shelf as a second, and a third came with the house.

Thanks for the storage tip. Those babies are fantastic on the grill. If I had my way, we'd grow more tomatoes and throw in some eggplant and zucchini. Our strawberry attempt failed, but we're going to try again. Eventually.

I just discovered a great use for recycled plastic bread bags (and other strong plastic bags). Cut them crosswise in 1 1/2" widths so that you have loops, then cut the loops open to make strips. You can roll these into ropes and use them over and over again to tie up tomatoes, beans, peas, and other lightweight veggies, they wash off well at the end of the season. Don't use on woody plants, the plastic isn't rigid enough to do the job.

Baby Herc

We built one of our beds, converted wooden storage shelf as a second, and a third came with the house.

Thanks for the storage tip. Those babies are fantastic on the grill. If I had my way, we'd grow more tomatoes and throw in some eggplant and zucchini. Our strawberry attempt failed, but we're going to try again. Eventually.

This year I'm going to grow Beefsteaks specifically for canning. I'm also dedicating 1 rain barrel to them alone.

I picked up this book at the Library: Making Your Small Farm Profitable.

I'm not planning on starting a farm but the information is unbelievable.

Check & see if your local library has a copy. It's worth a read to serious gardeners.

Edited by KarakD.

I just discovered a great use for recycled plastic bread bags (and other strong plastic bags). Cut them crosswise in 1 1/2" widths so that you have loops, then cut the loops open to make strips. You can roll these into ropes and use them over and over again to tie up tomatoes, beans, peas, and other lightweight veggies, they wash off well at the end of the season. Don't use on woody plants, the plastic isn't rigid enough to do the job.

Baby Herc

Awesome Idea!!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm psyched about the growing season! I just came indoors after my first foray into the garden to deadhead, prune, cut back, and remove leaves and protective mulch. Portland, Oregon, has an earlier spring than most. A cornucopia of bright green goodies were revealed underneath, popping up all perky and succulent in the warming weather. Bulb season is upon us; I got crinums, narcissus, muscari, and tulipa rarin' to go.

My father sent me an early-maturing Brandywine tomato seed which I'll be starting indoors tomorrow along with Sweet 100's and peppers. Meanwhile, I've got enough expanding strawberry plants in the veggie garden to keep me in smoothies until July. I'm gonna try sweat peas in hanging baskets this year and build a trellis from bamboo canes to train a honeysuckle so the night wind will send the sweet aroma directly into my bedroom window while I sleep. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

I did rake back the leaves and found lots of green starting to come in. My iris and hyacinth are my only bulbs I have in the ground. Friday I will be ordering my lilac pompom poppy seeds and love-in-a-mist seeds for my flower garden. I am thinking about getting my hands on some old tires and trying to grow some potatoes in them since I found a how to on it. I need a couple trellis so that I can plant runner beans and sugar snap peas. Might try the build my own with bamboo poles. I am still trying to decide what I want to grow. Strawberries are a hard to do in my area cause the ants won't leave them alone. Have you ever seen a tomato hornworm devour pepper plants??? Guess I better get busy with deciding on my garden! Not going to rely on buying ready to plant vegetable plants this year like I did last year.

I am so behind when it comes to getting the veggie garden ready. The extremely mild winter has tricked various plants into blooming. I have blooms on two of three azalea bushes and have lilies and daffodils popping up all over. I'm still finding remnants of the previous owner's planting beds and am hesitant to rip anything out because I love what I've found so far.

I'm still finding remnants of the previous owner's planting beds and am hesitant to rip anything out because I love what I've found so far.

Definitely wait to plant! Until you see a property through four seasons, it's just like an unwrapped present sitting out there, waiting for you to notice. Start seeds indoors now so you'll have hardy starts to work with when you're ready. Once bulbs are done blooming, you can move them if you need to. In the mild climate where you are located, you can even move all bulbs into pots and set them aside until you decide where you want them placed. Bulbs in pots are very hot right now, anyway. Just add some annuals when the bulbs are done, or plant herbs like parsley, cilantro, annual sage and basil.

You can do veggies in pots, too, if you want to play it safe and wait to see what all's in the garden. Use ceramic, plastic, and wooden containers--never creosote-coated railroad timbers, tires, or other chemical-laced stuff. It'll leech into the soil and into your harvest! Rubber-scented tomatoes, anyone?

Baby Herc

I really want a vegetable garden.

If I could grow carrots, garlic, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and other leafy greens it'd save me soooo much money.

If you've got a window with some bright light you can grow lettuce indoors in pots year round. Spinach tolerates lower temps. Try just one pot as an experiment: about 8" across and the same deep, good soil, a few seeds in the center, pinch off all but one plant when they are about an inch high, keep watered and mist the leaves if you like. Harvest the leaves first thing in the morning the day after watering.

Baby Herc

• 2 weeks later...
I just started gardening last year and ready to start this years garden. To scared to try root vegetables just yet and didn't have much luck with my squash plants or brussels sprouts.... Will have to try again this year

Don't be scared. Root veggies are some of the easist to grow.

If you didn't have much luck it could be that you aren't watering enough.

For example: I always FAILED at tomatoes but as it turns out they were not getting

enough water. Water is te key & it should be Floride free (I know Ive already posted this)

You MUST install rainbarrels. The water is free & it's what your plants crave.

Since the begininng of this year my area is 2.5 inches below average & it's only feb.

I pulled my barrels out've the basement & hooked them up over the weekend just to

harvest 100gals today.