Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:09 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 1074
Location: in the Vortex
As a beer aficionado, I appreciate recommendations from my fellow malt devotees. Here's the thread to do it in. Tell us what you love and why. Give us a link so our eyes can massage the label and commit it to memory.

:drinkers: :heart: :drinkers: :heart: :drinkers:

I'll start with Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout. If you love a stout so thick you can stick a fork up in it, this is your beer. I think the fork tines may actually disintegrate if you leave them in there long enough. This is one potent beverage. I discovered it at a charity tasting event at Whole Foods tonight and, well, let's just say that I'm typing very carefully and very slowly now. Thank goodness my friend drove. The chocolate flavor and aroma is distinct and intoxicating and speaking of intoxicating, can you say "Ten percent?" Yowza! It runs around nine dollars a bomber but you'll get your money's worth. Toasty, chocolaty, malty, smooth, dark as midnight, and very little hops. Oh, yeah.

This guy says it all: http://www.kegworks.com/blog/2010/02/17 ... r-choklat/
Image towards the bottom: http://justbeer.wordpress.com/category/ ... r-brewing/
http://southerntierbrewing.com/beers.html (towards the bottom)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find a place to lay down. :partyman:

Baby Herc

_________________
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/


Last edited by Baby Hercules on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:00 am
Posts: 16
I love Russian River Brewery's stuff in Santa Rosa, CA. Holy f-ing hell, so good! I love their IPA, Pliny the Elder and just tried Pliny the Younger recently. Went to Belgium, France and the Netherlands in September and did the once a year ORVAL monastery brewery tour. That was off the charts, the monastery was so amazing and it was a fun tour. Had to buy some of their glasses with the fish logo. I'm a stout and porter girl generally, so love trying those out at the local brew pubs round here. Kölsch is pretty yummy too, just recently tried that out in Germany.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/
http://www.orval.be/en/8/Brewery
jen

_________________
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:57 am 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 812
Ooh, the Plinys are fantastic, but I never get them down here (Georgia). This weekend was a good one for beer. Had the North Coast Grand Cru, Hebrew Genesis 15:15, Jailhouse Smokey Wheat, New Belgium Belgo IPA, Shipyard Apple Head, and the Ass Kisser Vanilla Pale Ale.

The Grand Cru was terrific. High gravity, but still refreshing, mostly sweet with a touch of sour bourbon. It's pretty crisp when cold, but tastes best just slightly chilled.

The Hebrew 15 was pretty intense. Definitely tasty, but a slow-drinker. Heavy and dark with almost a smokey feel to it. I still have a 13 and 14 I've been keeping for a while.

_________________
--
Bruce


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm
Posts: 2023
Location: Lee's Summit,MO
I am a huge Boulevard beer unfiltered wheat fiend! It is a very local microbrewery here in KCMO. I haven't had the pleasure of trying all the brews they have. They even do a chocolate ale around v day only

_________________
I do because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:05 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:48 am
Posts: 174
Location: United Kingdom, Kettering, Northamptonshire
Just found out that Charlie wells brewery is mostly vegan friendly beers. This brewery is bedfordshire UK based ( county where I was born). I now live in Northamptonshire so just the next county up from there and we have a lot of Charles wells pubs this way. Which is lucky as one of my favs is Bombardier.

_________________
Douglas Robson

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:00 am
Posts: 16
Bruce,
I even have a hard time finding Pliny at the store and I'm not that far down the road from Russian River! I usually have to cruise over to Santa Rosa and pay them a visit for a growler. Sometimes I can find Blind Pig at Whole Foods around here, that's pretty good too. If I find any of their stuff I buy em out. Any of the smoked beers, I can't really drink those too often, like you said they're a slow drinker.
Jen

blabbate wrote:
Ooh, the Plinys are fantastic, but I never get them down here (Georgia). This weekend was a good one for beer. Had the North Coast Grand Cru, Hebrew Genesis 15:15, Jailhouse Smokey Wheat, New Belgium Belgo IPA, Shipyard Apple Head, and the Ass Kisser Vanilla Pale Ale.

The Grand Cru was terrific. High gravity, but still refreshing, mostly sweet with a touch of sour bourbon. It's pretty crisp when cold, but tastes best just slightly chilled.

The Hebrew 15 was pretty intense. Definitely tasty, but a slow-drinker. Heavy and dark with almost a smokey feel to it. I still have a 13 and 14 I've been keeping for a while.

_________________
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:26 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 1074
Location: in the Vortex
Eight Ball Stout from Lost Coast Brewery

On the side of the bottle, it says, "This rich, robust stout is made with Pale Malted Barley, Oatmeal, Roasted and Chocolate Malts, Pacific Northwest Hops, Crystal Clear Mountain Water, and Ale Yeast."

Sounds like a fabulous entree at a great restaurant, doesn't it? It is. You taste the malt first, then a hint of mocha, then a nice finish of oatmeal. It's light for a stout but it goes down as smooth as a backrub after a long day of work. All you need is a plate of comfort food to go with it, a cracklin' fire in the fireplace, and that's one hell of a nice evening. At 6.3%, it's at the lower end of the Gettin' Smockered Rating, so go ahead and finish a whole bomber.

http://www.lostcoast.com/

Baby Herc

_________________
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm
Posts: 2023
Location: Lee's Summit,MO
I really want a beer now....

_________________
I do because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 pm 
Offline
VBB Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3029
Nice, I'm hyped to find this thread on this site. Beer reviews on a health conscious website. Its hard to connect with others sometimes if they are so serious about being straightedge that they want everyone to be that way. I respect every one's opinions, just don't push them on me haha. I guess I feel the same way about religion as I do about beer. Haha never thought of it that way.
SO I'm a little biased and believe the best beer in the world comes from Oregon. Although some of my favorites also include beers from Czech, Poland, California, Montana and NY.
The hardest for me is missing micro brews on tap, some of the best beers aren't made on a large enough scale to be bottled and distributed in stores. I will likely post a bunch to this thread but for post #1-

If you are a beer fiend and lucky enough to live in Oregon or visit there here are some of my favorites for you to try:

Off The Rail Brewery (hands down my favorite brewery) Sweet leaf is a, sweet unusual combo of like a amber and a IPA without the bitterness and it has some hints of ice tea. Blizzard of Oz is a Winter seasonal, it tastes like opening presents.

Everything that Lompoc makes is good. Their LSD and IPA are my favorites.

Ninkasi is excellent. They are growing in size and popularity and have one many awards. They are best know for their Total Domination and their Tricerahops. I really like their winter beer its called Sleigher.

Calapooia makes a chili beer. Its spicy like jalepeno, and has a surprisingly clean and refreshing after-taste.

Klamath Basin makes 8 second ale. Seriously good and seriously you will want to drain it in 8 seconds.

Aw I miss Oregon beers. Imports will be the topic of my next post.

Cheers!

-Dylan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:59 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 1074
Location: in the Vortex
C.O. wrote:
Nice, I'm hyped to find this thread on this site. Beer reviews on a health conscious website. Its hard to connect with others sometimes if they are so serious about being straightedge that they want everyone to be that way. I respect every one's opinions, just don't push them on me haha. I guess I feel the same way about religion as I do about beer. Haha never thought of it that way.


So, true, C.O., about any group out there. Thanks for speaking up, you speak for a lot of us.

C.O. wrote:
SO I'm a little biased and believe the best beer in the world comes from Oregon. Although some of my favorites also include beers from Czech, Poland, California, Montana and NY.


Being in Portland, Oregon, myself, I'm hardly in a position to argue. And, speaking of Poland, I recently discovered Black Boss Porter. Hoo-boy! http://bierkraft.com/browseproducts/Bla ... -16oz.HTML

C.O. wrote:
The hardest for me is missing micro brews on tap, some of the best beers aren't made on a large enough scale to be bottled and distributed in stores. I will likely post a bunch to this thread but for post #1-

If you are a beer fiend and lucky enough to live in Oregon or visit there here are some of my favorites for you to try:

Off The Rail Brewery (hands down my favorite brewery) Sweet leaf is a, sweet unusual combo of like a amber and a IPA without the bitterness and it has some hints of ice tea. Blizzard of Oz is a Winter seasonal, it tastes like opening presents.


Thanks for the recommendation. It's officially on my Fun List of Things to Do This Summer in a Reclining Position.

C.O. wrote:
Everything that Lompoc makes is good. Their LSD and IPA are my favorites.

Ninkasi is excellent. They are growing in size and popularity and have one many awards. They are best know for their Total Domination and their Tricerahops. I really like their winter beer its called Sleigher.


Ninkasi isn't just excellent, it's oat-a-licious. I'm savoring an Oatis Oatmeal Stout as we speak. Oaty, malty, thick, and loaded with 7.2% of the fun stuff, it's a wonderful brew to wash down something dense and delicious, like smoked tempeh burgers or a good, rich lentil soup. Come to think of it, it goes pretty well Continental-style, too: "A loaf of bread, a jug of [Oatis], and thou..." http://www.ninkasibrewing.com/beers/oatis

C.O. wrote:
Calapooia makes a chili beer. Its spicy like jalepeno, and has a surprisingly clean and refreshing after-taste.

Klamath Basin makes 8 second ale. Seriously good and seriously you will want to drain it in 8 seconds.


But it's so hard to keep from spilling when you're on top of the bull....

C.O. wrote:
Aw I miss Oregon beers. Imports will be the topic of my next post.


I'm drinking to you right now in Portland, Dylan! :partyman:

C.O. wrote:
Cheers!

-Dylan


Flat out like a lizard drinkin'!

Baby Herc

_________________
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 pm 
Offline
VBB Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3029
Yum and have you had the vanilla Oatis? Also yes I like Black Boss, I was surprised to hear that nobody in Poland drinks it or Boss lager there. A scoop of ice cream in a Black Boss makes a damn good beer float, so does Howl.

-Dylan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 pm 
Offline
VBB Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3029
Coconut bliss is my favorite non-dairy ice cream btw.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:35 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 1074
Location: in the Vortex
C.O. wrote:
A scoop of ice cream in a Black Boss makes a damn good beer float


You are a dangerous man, Dylan. :twisted: :lol:

Baby Herc

_________________
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm 
Offline
VBB Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3029
Has anyone tried Rogue's collab wih Voodoo doughnuts? I think its called Maple bacon doughnut ale. I heard it was really disgusting. Not sure if its vegan or if they actually flavor it with real bacon or not... Voodoo makes some good vegan doughnuts, I like the chicko-stick.


-Dylan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Beer Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 1074
Location: in the Vortex
Gross. And gross. I knew a sous chef here in Portland who swore up and down that the chocolate truffles with the bacon in them were the best seller at a chocolatier where she once worked. The very thought of that rolling around on my tongue actually made my stomach contort as if it were expecting a sucker punch in a street fight.

I had a Voodoo once, just to say I did. When in Rome. To own the truth, it didn't impress. I was expecting some sort of transporting experience of sublime joy. You know, something to set that famous doughnut store apart from the rest. Their fare just formed the same hard ball in my stomach that all pastries do and made me want to scrub my face and take a nap.

I'm sticking to dark chocolate bars: the crack cocaine of the vegan dessert world. When in Rome.

Baby Herc

_________________
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group