The horror! The HORROR!

Baby Hercules

Can someone please tell me when the crawling infestation of Girl Scouts peddling their noxious wares at the entrance of every grocery store will end? I'm sick and tired of dodging eight- through twelve-year-olds imploring me to put my good money down in exchange for what is quite possibly the perfect impersonation of a cookie by dog feces. I tasted that stuff back in the day. If my mind could have cogitated war flash backs, I'm sure it would have: the stuff is gross. I swear I was sweating toxins in twenty minute interval for two days following. Just thinking about it makes me want to shower.

Any vegan worth his or her salt can claim they've had much better stuff, fresh from the oven, in their own home or at some fantastic vegan joint. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about carrying a Taser until the obnoxious little whelps stop crowding the sidewalks. The law says ten yards, you simpering munchkins from Hell.

Thank goodness I'm not bitter.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

I remember when everyone was up in arms about them not letting bell ringers out front. I like entering and leaving in peace without being assaulted by loud bells and everyone begging for A a donation or B to buy something I wouldn't ever consider buying. Harsh yes but with people around like my parents and my client... those people can do without my contribution. If I feel the need to contribute which I do I buy stuff for hurricane and tornado victims and drop them off at legit drop off sites

Don't even get me started on the damage inflicted by giving approval to young girls for selling nutritionally inert food, encouraging them to utilize harassment and wheedling to do it, and reinforcing a club system of peer pressure, groupthink, and the death of individuality. Then there's the mixed message of You're Only Pretty If You Are So Thin You Are Borderline Anemic butting heads with Associate Your Cuteness With Selling Truckloads of Cookies and Candy. Top it all off with the ruthless competition the mothers engage in, buying presents and throwing parties to win the love of groups of mentally idle prepubescents with short attention spans, and you've got yourself the beginnings of a nice, fat psychotherapy bill.

Baby Herc

I was in girl scouts but only for the camping trips!

I was in Camp Fire Girls just long enough to discover that I knew more about camping and the outdoors than any other child or adult in the program. Our family has been camping every year since before my birth. My parents went camping on their honeymoon. We have it down to an art. Family vacations revolved around nature preserves, canoeing tours, and bird watching. It horrified me to learn that nobody in Camp Fire Girls wanted to go hiking to see what was on the other side of that hill, or pet a frog to see what it felt like, or collect colorful stones in the glistening bottoms of a creek beds, or play with the fire stick. All I ever heard was, "But I'll get dirty!"

You can't tell me "camp craft" is making florescent neon bracelets from store-bought plastic lanyards and tie-dyeing T-shirts to look like Jerry Garcia threw up all over them. Unless you use the T-shirts for kindling and strangle the snoring counselor next to you with the lanyard. For the love of fire, our "tents" had electrical outlets and the girls stuffed them with curling irons. I hear the "lodge" in the center of camp now has a big screen TV so the girls can watch people camping in movies. You gotta be kidding me.

Baby Herc

I was in girl scouts but only for the camping trips!

Same here! We never set up in front of stores and honestly, I never really sold cookies either. My mom took the sign-up form to her office and for years no one had a Girl Scout but her so I got plenty of orders that way.

As soon as the bell ringers appear in front of my grocery store, I start entering through the Pharmacy door.

I remember when everyone was up in arms about them not letting bell ringers out front. I like entering and leaving in peace without being assaulted by loud bells and everyone begging for A a donation or B to buy something I wouldn't ever consider buying. Harsh yes but with people around like my parents and my client... those people can do without my contribution. If I feel the need to contribute which I do I buy stuff for hurricane and tornado victims and drop them off at legit drop off sites

Yea and it SEEMED at first glance to be a "cold" move on Target's part, but really it is just a place of business. It is a system of buy and sell, not somewhere I should feel harassed.

People want to harp on stores not letting bell ringers stand in your way upon entering? Where is the concern that my sister called almost every church in our area and NO ONE was giving to the recent victims of the tornadoes that ravaged the midwest? No bad mouthing of churches in the media so far...

We found ONE church giving, so we drove out of our ways to go there and donate what we could.

Giving without being manipulated into it is much more satisfying, too.

Don't even get me started on the damage inflicted by giving approval to young girls for selling nutritionally inert food, encouraging them to utilize harassment and wheedling to do it, and reinforcing a club system of peer pressure, groupthink, and the death of individuality. Then there's the mixed message of You're Only Pretty If You Are So Thin You Are Borderline Anemic butting heads with Associate Your Cuteness With Selling Truckloads of Cookies and Candy. Top it all off with the ruthless competition the mothers engage in, buying presents and throwing parties to win the love of groups of mentally idle prepubescents with short attention spans, and you've got yourself the beginnings of a nice, fat psychotherapy bill.

Baby Herc

And yea Baby Herc that was such a fantastically worded post! I may have to quote that for future...statements.

David

Oh I did forget to mention 2 grocery stores around me assault me with more than just Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts at the door peddling their wares.... 1 has a BBQ stand outside of the store right by the door so all you smell is BBQ flesh and the second has the BBQ flesh as you walk in One big reason I do shop at Target. At least they have the cooked meat off to the side next to the deli and bakery

And yea Baby Herc that was such a fantastically worded post! I may have to quote that for future...statements.

David

Why, thank you! I had fun writing it.

Baby Herc