Melanie Joy - Carnism: The Psychology of Eating Meat

C.O.

Great post. Thank you for sharing. I haven't heard this topic discussed in such a way before. I know a lot of meat eaters that are really weird about how and what they will eat. Like they will only eat chicken, which might be the worst except for less fat/cholesterol than red meats. The strangest and I have come across this with several people are those that can't/won't eat meat off of the bone. Like they are totally okay with eating meat all the time as long as it doesn't get a little too real for them that they are actually eating an animal.

-Dylan

Melanie Joy is a great presenter. She's one of my favorites to listen to. I've seen her at a few festivals over the years. She's pretty dedicated to exercise too. Maybe we'll feature her on the main website sometime.

Hey Dylan, I used to be like that my whole life before going veg*n. I had a real issue with eating meat off a bone... and I guess you nailed that right on the head: it was getting too real for me. I couldn't deal with touching raw meat, eating it off the bone, or the "carcass". It made me mentally sick, but I continued to eat meat anyway because I thought it was normal and necessary, and because everyone told me "just don't think about it." Glad I eventually thought enough about it to stop eating it!