Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fake leather? Yea I still wear it
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:11 pm 
Manatee

Yea I still wear fake leather. Looks the part but it isn't and it's just for the look.

Though I find it interesting that I have to keep pointing out that it's fake when I bring up the fact that I'm a vegan and then I get asked "well why not wear the real stuff?" ... Doesn't that defeat the point? I also have jumpers that look like wool but aren't..

Bit off topic but, well I was wondering what people think about "looks like but isn't" animal products?

Post subject: Re: Fake leather? Yea I still wear it
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:53 pm 
VBB Moderator

Same thoughts as on meatless meats. There is vegetarian ox tail, fish, steak, ribs, caviar, pretty much everything you can think of now. There are two major sides to the argument I think. On one side you are eating the flavors that you enjoy, and this shows the meat eating world that vegetarian food can be delicious in similar ways to the meat world. On the other side of the argument lots of vegans feel like they set the example, live by example mentality. So eating foods that look like meat or wearing clothes that look like leather or wool or furs but are imitation, although they are obviously a friendly alternative they are not always seen by the world as that, they are often just seen as hey that person is wearing leather or wool because the difference isn't always obvious. So that point of demonstrating that you are against the use of animal products is lost on everyone that you don't physically have a conversation with explaining to them that they are faux products and why you wear them.
No judgements here either way. Just letting you know of the view points that I have heard from both sides.
-Dylan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:11 am 
Manatee

Oh yes I understand :)

I don't think it's something I need to "get off my chest" more of a... paradox.. contradiction.. Whatever you want to call it :)

Grew up with heavy metal, punk and so on so I tended to wear the leathers and so on. As I got older I stopped because leather costs a lot of money and doesn't last as long as people think. By the time I turned veggie and then vegan I had no leather items of clothing (apart from my protective gear, but I have no say in that).

However, I found that fake leathers made of man made weaves and plastics were a lot cheaper and had no animal products whatsoever. It's probably my opinion (even though I never really thought about it) that if it hasn't got animal parts in it, it's fine, no matter what it is.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:02 am 
Elephant

a lot of my shoes from old navy, like my flats, look like leather...its hard to avoid....but it is kind of a paradox. i have a fake leather jacket sort of and i like the way it looks...i dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:30 pm 
Manatee

I have a faux leather purse. When anyone asks I volunteer the info on where I got it , etc. Even if it looks the part I think it makes others realize that there are humane alternatives to animal skin.