Home Gym Flooring ??

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
SeventhDay
Rabbit
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 pm
Contact:

Home Gym Flooring ??

#1 Postby SeventhDay » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Hey, soo... I don't have a home gym but I do have a bench, bar's, dumbbells and free weights in my bedroom. Recently while I was on a sort of vacation; my girlfriend redid my entire room. I would like to keep the floor in good shape, so I was wondering is there any type of (budget) flooring that I can stick in the corner of my bedroom to keep my weights and possibly even my bench on. Any ideas ?

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: Home Gym Flooring ??

#2 Postby Baby Hercules » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 pm

On home improvement shows that focus on garages, I've seen sections of thick, recycled rubber-type flooring that fit together like puzzle pieces. They come in black and a few bright colors and you buy them by the box. Not sure what they're called but I'm pretty sure I saw them featured on either Garagemahal or Man Caves (both of which are extremely addictive shows) in the construction of a home gym.

http://www.diynetwork.com/man-caves/show/index.html
http://www.diynetwork.com/garage-mahal/show/index.html

Another possibility: http://www.eaglemat.com/eco-friendly-mats.html

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3065
Age: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Waukesha, WI
Contact:

Re: Home Gym Flooring ??

#3 Postby VeganEssentials » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Cheapest source - if you have a place that does farm supply nearby, look for a 4x6 or larger "stall mat" or "cow mat" which will be a big sheet of 3/4" thick rubber matting that absorbs shock like crazy and makes for great gym matting. They're made for cow/horse stalls to be anti-fatigue vs. animals standing on bare concrete, and they're what most people who are doing budget home gyms will go for, MUCH cheaper than buying those interlocking things you can find elsewhere where they'll charge you a something like $10 for a 1.5' square mat (of which, you'll need many to cover a workout area), a stall mat should run only about $35-45 for a big one, and usually 2 or 3 will cover enough area for a power rack, bench, etc. if you have a bedroom setup.

Here's a link so you can see what they're like: http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/297882-rubber_cow_mat_6_x_4_x_3_4.html

It's what we have in our facility, had to buy about 30 of them to cover one side, but it was about 1/5 the price of commercial gym mat flooring, a much better deal!
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: Home Gym Flooring ??

#4 Postby Baby Hercules » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:59 am

VeganEssentials wrote:"cow mat"


You're such a Midwesterner, Ryan! :lol:

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

SeventhDay
Rabbit
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Home Gym Flooring ??

#5 Postby SeventhDay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:40 am

VeganEssentials wrote:Cheapest source - if you have a place that does farm supply nearby, look for a 4x6 or larger "stall mat" or "cow mat" which will be a big sheet of 3/4" thick rubber matting that absorbs shock like crazy and makes for great gym matting. They're made for cow/horse stalls to be anti-fatigue vs. animals standing on bare concrete, and they're what most people who are doing budget home gyms will go for, MUCH cheaper than buying those interlocking things you can find elsewhere where they'll charge you a something like $10 for a 1.5' square mat (of which, you'll need many to cover a workout area), a stall mat should run only about $35-45 for a big one, and usually 2 or 3 will cover enough area for a power rack, bench, etc. if you have a bedroom setup.

Here's a link so you can see what they're like: http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/297882-rubber_cow_mat_6_x_4_x_3_4.html

It's what we have in our facility, had to buy about 30 of them to cover one side, but it was about 1/5 the price of commercial gym mat flooring, a much better deal!


Oh wow, this is probably going to be the best deal... hopefully its not to big for my room I'm going to have to take some measurements. Thanks a ton for this.

User avatar
VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3065
Age: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Waukesha, WI
Contact:

Re: Home Gym Flooring ??

#6 Postby VeganEssentials » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Baby Hercules wrote:
VeganEssentials wrote:"cow mat"


You're such a Midwesterner, Ryan! :lol:

Baby Herc


True, true :)

I always was told they were called stall mats, but once I started checking online, more and more places were calling them cow mats, so I figured it doesn't hurt to give both names for the sake of making sure nobody misses a good deal on these for setting up their home gym flooring!
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: Home Gym Flooring ??

#7 Postby Baby Hercules » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:28 pm

VeganEssentials wrote:more and more places were calling them cow mats


I keep visualizing white mats with large black blotches. Got mat? :lachmal:

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Home Gym Flooring ??

#8 Postby BlueRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 am

SeventhDay wrote:Hey, soo... I don't have a home gym but I do have a bench, bar's, dumbbells and free weights in my bedroom. Recently while I was on a sort of vacation; my girlfriend redid my entire room. I would like to keep the floor in good shape, so I was wondering is there any type of (budget) flooring that I can stick in the corner of my bedroom to keep my weights and possibly even my bench on. Any ideas ?



I use interlocking floor mats, work out on them and keep my equipment on them. Given I work out in my basement where the floor is cement, this is a GOOD thing!
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests