Dog Fighting. Please help!

boardn10

Hey all,

I am tirined of people I know getting so fired up about the crime of dog fighting, yet they continue to consume lots of meat! Does anyone have any good articles I can pass along to help these people see this from my perspective, that animals are tortured and murdered every day? They defend this by saying, if it is for food, it is fine.

Thanks for any info and good articles explaining the cruelty that takes place.

Thanks again.

They want to close their eyes and to that end I don't think you can change them. Sadly they are not ready for reality and if you try to push them before they are ready, you will more likely make them dig in their heals in rejection .. it will have opposite effect of what you expect. They will find ways to defend their own position more vehemently. I'm not making that up.. it is some weird psychology phenomenon - moral convictions are always very strong and everyone needs to believe they are 'good people' and will not hear opposing views on that. You may be morally right.. but you will have no friends left and no one to care about how right you are.

But I hear you. Animal agriculture is the most significant source of animal suffering in the world today - 60 Billion land animals a year and increasing every year. Dog fighting for thrill of watching/money is one type of pleasure. And tasting good is another sort of pleasure.

"Despite what people say about the moral significance of animal interests, most are willing to ignore those interests whenever they benefit from doing so." ~Animal Rights Advocate website.

The above not withstanding, I think that the fact that these people care about animal suffering at all offers you a good 'foot in the door' so to speak. And if you are agreeable, and don't push too hard, it is very possible you may over time open their eyes and convert a few (not all) of them to your way of thinking.

Sorry you are having a tough time. Change comes slower than we'd all like no doubt.

Apparently number of vegans and vegetarians in US has doubled in last 5 years (mostly in college aged people.. yeah kids!). I suspect the internet allows them to be a little less brain-washed by government and corporations than previous generations. So there is hope.

And in this documentary there is a scene (@ 29:30) of a cow who escapes a New York slaughterhouse.. there is overwhelming support by the public to let her live - people were compassionate to her plight. I think people can empathize with the individual, but for some reasons the blinders are on when it comes to the masses... still, the story of Queenie gives me hope that people can open their eyes.

But it is sad... I know what you mean. A few thousand more vegetarians compared to the 19000 lives taken per minute in the US hardly seems like cause to rejoice. But you never know.. momentum could build. In the meantime.. I'll just try to stay healthy and set a good example.

Why are you friends with people who don't reflect your highest beliefs?

Not trying to be antagonistic as I suspect this was a 'knee jerk' response. But I do feel this advice could only make sense in a more idealistic/altruistic society.

The reality is we are human - we evolved as social beings so most of us at a very deep level have a need/desire for social belonging. As much as many of us would prefer to be surrounded by people who understand our viewpoints and are in agreement with our moral views, the sad truth is at this time vegans (tho growing in number) make up an impressive minority (2% - and not all are 'ethical' vegans).

I don't know anyone in real life that has any vegan inclinations. Most of my good friends tell me they could never give up meat.. they like the taste too much. I can only cringe inwardly/block out horrible visions and carry on. I'm not looking to make enemies.. I only want the world to be kinder.. don't know how to do that other than just focusing on myself. (ie. "be the change you want to see in the world").

I have strong political views, social views, animal rights views, etc and I have been trying to gert rid of friends who stand on the other side of the fence. Unfortunately, some of these people are close relatives! Hard to just cut those people out of my life. I am tired however of receiving emails from them all the time concerning puting an end to cruelty against cats and dogs, while they eat their steak and potatoe.

There was a woman on the radio this morning talking about how she loves her dog but she swerved in her car while driving to purposely hit a possum crossing the street. She said they are just no good rats.