Something worth watching today

C.O.

Hi Dylan

Interesting times, especially as (most of us have heard) the Mayan Calendar coming to the end of a 2,600 (or there about) year cycle, which is supposed to end around 21 December 2012. Apparently, the earth aligns up in the galaxy in an unusual fashion where the earth comes very close to a black hole.

Well I'm no astro physicist but things I read I try and look out for..so I'm watching

Very cool. Yes I have heard many people talk about the Mayan end of the world prediction. Most often done in joke form. I didn't know the earth was going to align near a black hole around that same date....that is a little scary, or a lot scary. Now when you say near, is it near enough that anything could possibly be effected if say the coordinates we to get slightly closer than predicted?

-Dylan

Hi Dylan

Interesting times, especially as (most of us have heard) the Mayan Calendar coming to the end of a 2,600 (or there about) year cycle, which is supposed to end around 21 December 2012. Apparently, the earth aligns up in the galaxy in an unusual fashion where the earth comes very close to a black hole.

No. There is no alignment, and we will not be in any proximity to a black hole. 2012ers have been claiming that the Earth, Sun, and galactic center will be in alignment (which is not true), and that the alignment will cause something odd with the supermassive black hole (also not true).

Black holes aren't magic. Beyond the event horizon, they aren't gravitationally any different from any other object of equivalent mass. The supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy might be several million solar masses in size, but it's also ridiculously far away. The gravitational effects of our own sun are, literally, one _million_ times more powerful. We could halve our distance to the center of the galaxy without any effect with respect to the black hole.