Lack of motivation for everything??!!

ChaserHUN

Hey,

I don't know if anyone of you have experienced this, but I lack motivation, for everything.....excercising, for practising guitar and everything in life, I always feel I'm not getting anywhere with my life even anything I do. I know I get stronger and everything when I excercise, of if I practice music I get better, I don't for a few days than I click and just stop and I don't have any more motivation to do it. Also I feel like I can't really feel joy like I could do, only maybe for minutes, but nothing can make me really that happy. I can't say that I have a bad life, because I don't, it's not the easiest, but who has an easy life todays world? I feel like in that south park episode, when Stan sees and hears shit everything. Has anybody experienced something like this? WTF I wrong with me?

i get the feeling life is too easy sometimes and thats where the lack of motivation comes from. its hard to be motivated if you dont really need to be. i think thats why people take up extreme sports etc or even bodybuilding or whatever. it brings back the struggle that human nature is programmed to deal with. if we werent motivated in times gone by we would have frozen, starved, been killed by others, eaten by animals etc......but now because the struggle is gone and pretty much everything is within easy reach we kind of feel we have no purpose sometimes. i mean people think your crazy if you get up to change the channel on the tv instead of using the remote. people say to me sometimes "why are you cycling up and down that massive hill" or "why do you lift weights till you cant walk the next day" and i say, because i only feel truly alive when im struggling! this wasnt aimed at you just sort of went on a rant cuz your post got me thinking

I used to be one of those "I hate positive thinking and therefore I can never be happy"-guys before, but lately I've moved away from the last part. There's nothing wrong with negativity, and neither it nor positivity is the key to happiness; happiness exists outside the realms of "positive" and "negative".

When it comes to motivation and achieving goals: do you feel a lack of motivation because you feel as though you cannot reach said goals? If so, how about just stopping the whole "goals" thing. Find some joy in the actual process, or rather, in what actually is. I hate self-help books or whatever you call them, so I bought one. Its cover read "The Antidote: Happiness for People who can't stand Positive Thinking", and it suggested itself as a self-help book for people who hate self-help books. In it, the author, Oliver Burkemann, in addition to obviously talking about "positive" and "negative" thinking, basically spends a lot of time explaining how people now have this notion that happiness is something that you aim to achieve, a goal, rather than something more imminent.

Burkemann also briefly touches on the topic of motivation, mentioning that perhaps we should stop looking for motivation all of the time, and instead just do. I love history, and I think it is interesting, but preparing for my exams right now, I probably wouldn't get through my 1000+ page syllabus if I relied purely on motivation to keep me reading. Instead I set my alarm and I get up and I sit and read and take notes. It isn't always fun, but it gets the job done, and when I am finished with my assigned reading for the day, I am genuinely happy with myself for having done it.

I really do recommend the book. It's a light and fun read, and while it might not be for you, it certainly takes a different stand than most people would in this matter.