Removing everything local..

mythil

Well that's it. It's a sad day when the only local fruit and vegetable shop closes down. They have been trading for fifteen years and get the vast majority of their stock locally. They sold a lot of flowers and seeds too but they seemed to mostly sell fruits and vegetables at a very reasonable price too. Okay if you wanted a mango in winter you were pretty screwed but that's not the point.

Apparently local farmers markets and local produce shops just can't compete anymore. I don't see why either, I guess people are just lazy and only buy everything from the one cheap supermarket which is actually more expensive than local stuff, at least here. Hell, even the local farmers market that comes in gets the majority of their stuff from South Africa now because all the British farmers they tried sell their stuff to supermarkets or fast food places..

It's depressing.. Also bad for my wallet as I'll HAVE to go to the local supermarkets now.. And they probably sell sub standard produce.

Do you have any farmers markets by where you live? They're a great option and that allows you to still support your local fruit and vege growers.

Yes and no. We have markets that come in twice a week to sell vegetables but a lot of their stuff comes off the boat from Africa. There is literally nothing local anymore.