Thoughts on moving out of the USA

Young_Mike

As the title says, I'm thinking about moving out of the USA. Trouble is, I'm not exactly rich. I work a minimum wage, entry level job in a gym with only 2 semesters of college under my belt but I feel like I've run my course with the US. I've been to only 3 other countries in my lifetime (Canada, Hong Kong, and the Philippines) but I kind of liked it and wanted to know what people think on here. Any advice/thoughts?

From what I have heard, the key to getting into an awesome country (Switerland, the Nordics, Australia) is to find a job that wants you and will give you a work visa. Having a work visa pretty much gets you into the country and, of course, also lets you pay for food, housing, etc.

My thoughts are just that it's not easy. It can be really hard to get a visa to move to another country. If you don't have any links to a country your only chance is, as the previous poster said, to get a work visa or perhaps a skilled migrant visa. But neither one is easy, and most countries are tending to make things harder these days.

I moved from the US to the UK (London) six years ago and love it here, but my mother is English so I have British Citizenship. I don't know that I would have been able to do it otherwise. Actually I might have been able to get a highly skilled migrant visa at the time (I have a PhD in psychology) but I don't think those exist any more.

Mike, what kind of skills do you have? Canada could probably be one of the easier places to move to. If you are young enough, I believe Australia is also relatively easy to get into (takes a year or two to get some kind of work visa). As a Canadian living in the US, my g/f and I likely to move back to Canada since my immigration process into the US is longer than anticipated (I have a work visa and have a green card application in but the GC may take anywhere from 7-20 years, depending on recent reform). I'll retire by then and in a lot of ways, Canada has a better support system for retirees.