My problem with take away's

mythil

Okay over the last few weeks I've had problems with a lot of take away's in my area (delivery food). I don't always eat it but every so often I like to have a curry or Chinese or something. Well I was working a lot in the last three weeks so once I week I decided to get a large take away dinner so I could have it over two days which would give me more time to work.. I would have to pay for it later but that's another thing.

First of all I got a curry, potato and lentil. When it came I ate the starter and when I got to the curry I put a blob of what I thought was potato in my mouth, chewed and thought "That's not potato".. It turned out to be chicken. When I phoned up to complain they said "You ordered chicken". I said "No, I have the original ordering info here, potato not chicken" - "Maybe you meant chicken?" - "I'm a vegan why would I mean chicken?" - "Oh, so is the chicken a problem?"... I got a refund but only after two days of arguing with them.

Secondly I got Chinese next time, ordering a tofu dish. It came and there was a slab of something in there which I washed off and identified as beef. I phoned up and asks "Why is there beef in my tofu dish when it's advertised as vegetarian?" - "Well we ran out of tofu so we put some beef in there to compensate" ... I was actually so stunned I couldn't think of something to say for a good minute.

Another Chinese place got so annoyed that I order tofu from them that they now refuse to deliver any food to me.. What the hell? Stop offering it if you're not going to do it...

This is really getting on my nerves now.. I don't eat take away food a lot but some times I want to treat myself. Now it's just too, well, unsafe to do so.

I hear you man, it's horrible.

I used to go to a curry place all the time ~ they used to be excellent and easily the best Indian restaurant in our city. Then they lost their original building due to the earthquakes, took them a couple of years but they rebuilt and got going again. Should have taken stock of the fact that they had replaced ALL BUT ONE of their waiters and chefs.

First lentil curry I ordered had bits of shredded chicken in it. I was informed, "you ordered chicken sir." To which I replied, "well I must be the first vegan that enjoys eating chicken curry on a Friday night then."

Second lentil curry I ordered had one huge piece of lamb in it. I was informed, "sorry, don't know how that got in there."

Third curry was on the house (an apology), but came complete with shredded chicken again. I promptly phoned them up explaining I wasn't going to drive 10km back to the restaurant to chance my luck getting a replacement. "I am very sorry sir, I will put a $100 voucher in the mail to you so you can bring your family back and enjoy a meal on us."

Fourth curry was served to me, was beautiful until I found half a prawn in it. UNBELIEVABLE.

Name and shame these restaurants ~ Facebook is great to do this. I wouldn't normally encourage this, but if a restaurant, cafe or other food establishment offers vegetarian and/or vegan dishes they should be make sure that they deliver what they put on their menu. I'm sick of it too, I completely get where you are coming from MF.

I hear you man, it's horrible.

I used to go to a curry place all the time ~ they used to be excellent and easily the best Indian restaurant in our city. Then they lost their original building due to the earthquakes, took them a couple of years but they rebuilt and got going again. Should have taken stock of the fact that they had replaced ALL BUT ONE of their waiters and chefs.

First lentil curry I ordered had bits of shredded chicken in it. I was informed, "you ordered chicken sir." To which I replied, "well I must be the first vegan that enjoys eating chicken curry on a Friday night then."

Second lentil curry I ordered had one huge piece of lamb in it. I was informed, "sorry, don't know how that got in there."

Third curry was on the house (an apology), but came complete with shredded chicken again. I promptly phoned them up explaining I wasn't going to drive 10km back to the restaurant to chance my luck getting a replacement. "I am very sorry sir, I will put a $100 voucher in the mail to you so you can bring your family back and enjoy a meal on us."

Fourth curry was served to me, was beautiful until I found half a prawn in it. UNBELIEVABLE.

Name and shame these restaurants ~ Facebook is great to do this. I wouldn't normally encourage this, but if a restaurant, cafe or other food establishment offers vegetarian and/or vegan dishes they should be make sure that they deliver what they put on their menu. I'm sick of it too, I completely get where you are coming from MF.

What's annoying is that the curry house used to be great, ordered from them all the time. I don't know what happened but suddenly they just stopped giving a f***. The Chinese was good as well and was the only places that did good tofu dishes.. However they apparently didn't bother to change their menu's as tofu is still listed even though they apparently don't do it anymore, so they have stopped delivering food to me. The other Chinese place that does tofu, well I went to check them out and it's a grotty little place.. Kinda glad I didn't eat what they sent me now.

Really the only other take away places around me don't serve any vegetarian (some vegan but you gotta ask) food so I'm kinda restricted to Domino pizza with no cheese.. I don't really want to treat myself with a large pizza though as it would be calorific!

i've had q few such encounters too, ordering meals without cheese, getting cheese, and years ago, when i was still more questionably vegetarian, and not as health conscious, i would get plain cheese pizza, or the vegetarian ones (they used non-animal rennet cheeses), always shit on them like meatballs, bacon, ham etc, even on plain cheese

i find it very hard to trust places, recently i've been putting a little more trust into sushi places (though i'm not sure i should since i'm not entirely sure just how well they wash up after slicing raw fish)

had some recent successes with salads though at a few local cafes, ordered a pumpkin + feta salad (without the feta), was very nice, roasted pumpkin with leafy salad, and roasted seeds and nuts

i find the best places to eat vegan is italian places, they have lots of pasta dishes with just sauce, no meat, and can ask them to leave the cheese off (if it's on there), and also can get nice olive+chilli sides

one place i trust fairly well is a local business that is friends with the family, we usually let them knowing when i'm booking and they give me a few no-meat options

Woah that sucks man.. I have a local chinese place which I love so much! Their bean curd dishes are so good! An old friend of mine delivers for them and is a vegetarian so I always feel a little bit safer when ordering. So far I've had no issue, but when I was in cornwall with friends we all got chinese, I ordered a bean curd dish as always and it was a little different.. I don't know if its just because I didn't have the same level of trust in this place but I immediately didn't feel comfortable eating it as I could have sworn it was some kind of meat dish.. It took two veggie friends prodding the curds for 5 mins before I was comfortable enough to finish it haha

• 2 weeks later...