Is it possible after 50???

jillianb

I am a 50 year old woman who has been vegetarian for the past 4 years and a vegan for the past 1 year.... I have never really done any strength training and have lacked on the cardio the past few years... although I am vegan I am about 20+ pounds overweight (5'4" and 155 lbs. BMI 26) and would like to change that. With the new year I have set some goals for myself but would like to ask each of you if it is realistic to think that I may transform this body into a lean and very fit one... so here are a few things about me....I do not have the funds for a personal trainer, I do not like the artificial sweetners and have a hard time with the protien supplements in general (I have tried them all and do not like them) I have a hard time figuring out what to eat and usally end up with a soy milk drink for breakfast and the rest of the day is filled with pasta or something else easily made.... what can I expect and where do I start?

I have 2 quick videos to answer your first question, haha. Watch them in order...

1)

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2MR7bvDJrM

You can do it. Absolutely. And you don't need a personal trainer. It sounds like you're trying to slim down and tone up. First, focus on cardio work, like running, biking, or other similar activities or workout machines... You can also do some light weight training. There are endless possibilities for different machines and lifting free weights (dumbells), so go to the gym and try some things out.

Also, to slim down you'll want more complex carbs like whole grains / oatmeal / etc., vegetables, and fruit like berries / bananas / pears / apples, etc. Good luck! Get in action, and let me know how it goes!

Good advice Rabbit but i would have to add, for her to limit and or watch how much fruit for losing weight. Fruits are simple sugars cause insulin spikes and some of them are high in calories. Good for pre workout quick energy. Can be used in cutting phase just have to be careful.

Edited by oldlunk

I am 50 and in my best shape to date. (Still working on it.) I am 5' 4" and 165. I lost 30 pounds a few years ago by cutting out processed foods and lowering my wine intake. I have been vegan for 1 year. During the first 6 months of 2013 I started a regular lifting program. I lost 2 pounds, but gained 7 pounds of muscle. If you have someone that does the BodPod in your area, you can get an accurate body fat/muscle analysis. I have also been able to increase my running endurance. I went from struggling to run 1.5 miles to doing 4 miles easily. I have asthma, so running has always been tough for me. Your body reacts to changes in diet and exercise much more slowly now that it did when you were 20 -30 years old, but it will change. Also, lifting is very good for protecting your bones since you are losing the hormones that protect them. Another thing you start to lose at 50 is your balance. Adding in yoga, Surfset, stand up paddleboarding or skating will help with that.

This year, my husband is on board with diet changes. All that bread, crackers, and tortilla chips will not be in house. I am hoping for a great year. Definitely take the time to plan your menus for the week and only buy what is on your list at the grocery. Once you get into the groove, it gets easier. So many vegan meals are made in one dish which makes it easier.

It's Redwood, not Rabbit (that's a mark for how many posts someone has made. The more posts, the larger of an animal you become... kind of strange, I know...)

Sounds good Jillian. So what's your meal plan for the week? Whatever your motivation is to start, that's fine, use it. Just know that in the long-term, you want to enjoy and appreciate your new life style, meal planning, working out, lookin' good! Otherwise, it can become a stress, and something you want to avoid...

So have fun! Looking forward to hearing your answers and progress...

Redwood sorry about that I am new here so still learning about the post

I have been reading some journals here and other articles on the site about nutrition. Yesterday my diet looked like this:

Breakfast:

1 cup Quinoa

1/2 cup peas

1/2 cup carrots

Lunch:

Big salad with Gardien Scallopini Chix

Dinner:

Bean and Cauliflower soup with a side of Broccoli

Snack;

1 ounce peanuts...

Aiming for a little protien with each meal but stikcing to mainly veggies and not too much of the soy or faux meat.

Working out is the hardest thing for me but this week I will do cardio everyday for 30 minutes and start the weights on the weekend... I have found some really good information on here. I may start the 7 day challange and see how that goes.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Oldlunk thank you for your support and encouragement too...

Hopefully I will be my fittest at 50! (my goal)

GREAT advice so far from the other posters!!! As a recently turned 45, I can echo that I too am in the best shape of my life, certainly better than I was even a year ago or more. Vegetarian for nearly 13 yrs, vegan for 3.

Didn't have anything immediate to comment on your sample daily menu above. Would wonder what was in your salad? Lots of spinach and kale, some beans hopefully, etc.. I'm no nutritional guru for sure. A variety of foods in your daily diet would best ensure you're getting all you need. With good mix of leafy greens, legumes (haha!) and such you'll not need to worry about whether or not you're getting enough protein....a well mixed plant based based diet with sufficient calories will be more than good for you.

As you're just getting started, realize that somethings might be easier to do. Others quite hard, and some just awkward. None of us except the naturally gifted were good at everything from the start. Get a notebook and journal your path. Log in what you ate, how you felt before and after, and what you did. Cardio will build over time..start with a goal (around the block, or 20 jump rope reps, and 5 push ups, 10 squats up/down using a kitchen chair, whatever)...then as you log in what you were able to do, in a week my might push up your targets to 6 push ups, or 15 squats, etc.

It's motivating to see improvement. THings you have trouble with our questions on just ask on here.

Aside from adding in specific weight stuff, you'll have alot of the basic tools just using your own body. Variety of types of push-ups, pull-ups (can recommend some elasto-bands if you like as may not have pullup bar handy -- hooks over a door), dips, squat jumps (plyometrics will become your friend - combining multiple exercises into 1), interval training. I'd maybe suggest you can move towards, if not achieve your goals JUST by using what you got...yourself.....

Oh, also good to take measurements of your body at the start, and then again in 3 months or so.....chest, arms, waist, thigh, etc...progress markers!