Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Surgical menopause
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:55 pm 
Finch

I am 40 yrs old and have been vegan for 1 year and vegetarian since 16. I am desperate for any advice I can get. I had a hysterectomy when I was 37 and my physical appearance has never been the same. I weight train and do cardio at least 3 times a week. I eat only whole foods during the week and have a "cheat" day on Saturdays which usually consists of french fries and some vegan bread with my last meal. I CAN NOT get my weight down. I am 5'2" and on average I would weigh between 115 and 120 pounds. Now I am lucky if I can get under 130. If there is anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Surgical menopause
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 pm 
Rabbit

Weight gain is normal after hysterectomy. You're obviously not producing sufficient androgen hormones. Are you doing any hormone replacement therapy?

I consume fresh squeezed carrot juice because Vitamin A regulates metabolism and also stimulates production of androgen hormones in adipose tissue. Other than carrot juice, make sure your Vitamin D levels are sufficient because you'll need Vitamin D to produce thyroid hormones and thyroid hormones regulate the conversion of beta-carotene into active Vitamin A.

What kind of whole foods are you consuming?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:17 pm 
Finch

Thanks for the response! Yes I am on estradiol 1&1/2 mg. I can not get through a day without it. I tried for a year using every natural product on the market and nothing worked. I use it mostly because of the hot flashes. I have to get some sleep at night and now with the HRT I only get up usually twice a night. Good thing is that the HRT is derived from plants not animals.

I consume every vegetable there is. Every evening for dinner I will make a huge saled with all different veggies. Occasionally I'll use some vegan chicken strips or a veggie burger in it.

Is it possible to have too many calories from vegetables? I was under the assumption you could have as many raw veggies as you would like without it impacting the caloric intake.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 pm 
Rabbit

Before I can offer some solid advice. I need to know if you live in a city with air pollution, smoke or subjected to cigarette smoke and/or generally inhale airborne toxins. Also, are you consuming any oils?

Yes we can consume as many raw veggies as we would like without it impacting the caloric intake.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 pm 
Finch

Yes unfortunately to all of the above. And if I do use oil it's 1 tbsp of olive oil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:40 pm 
Rabbit

What kind of whole foods are you consuming?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 pm 
Finch

Vegetables, nuts and seeds, some beans and grains. Occasionally I will use vegan mayo or vegan chicken and/or veggie burgers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:21 pm 
Rabbit

Helpful links.
http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenal-health-2/dhea-and-adrenal-imbalance/
http://www.sharonostalecki.com/2012/key-players-you-need-to-understand-if-you-have-fibromyalgia/
http://www.uptodate.com/contents/androgen-production-and-therapy-in-women

Low DHEA -> Low Serotonin -> No Prostaglandin D2 production.

Prostagladin D2(PGD2) is made from Omega 6 fatty acids before bed time and you'll know that you're producing sufficient PGD2 when you can't fight the falling asleep feeling. PGD2 knocks us out into a deep sleep.

Have you asked your doctor about a DHEA pill?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 pm 
Finch

No I have not asked the dr about that.
Thanks for the links and I will look into this further