Just a general frustration!

Payne

My PT is a great guy. We're a similar age, get on real well, he's someone that listens to what my goals are and explains why we're doing things, instead of just doing them. This get's me interested in them and excited to do what potentially are horrendous activities that usually I'd not undertake. He's also really intelligent and likes to share interesting articles related to his field of expertise.

That's not the frustration, that's just a bit of background!

This morning he shared an article called "11 Things Wrong With The Modern Diet". I had a quick skim of it, but it got me thinking. The internet is an amazing tool. If someone from the 50's was to wake up from a coma/cryostasis I think it would be the one thing that would really astound them. But like any tool it has it's downsides.

There's a wealth of great information, and even more 'less great' information. A lot of the great information sights sources and studies to back up their claims, but then you get a plethora of contradicting articles. And the abundance of these studies and the "you should do this", "you shouldn't do this" slant on them can easily make your head spin. It even gets to a point where trying to monitor what you consume and do could become a full time job in itself!

Vegetable oils are bad, but butter is good. Modern wheat isn't as good as ye olde wheat. Sleeping on your back with your arms up can reduce wrinkles, sleeping on your side can squash your body. I like to think I'm intelligent and open minded and like to be informed of things so I can form good solid opinions, but with the abundance of all these articles it's putting me off reading up about a lot of things because of the constant contradictions.

That's it. I'm not going to start ranting on about 'internet celebrities' and the constant 'one-up-manship'. Maybe another day!

• 2 weeks later...

I see what you mean, constant contradictions are quite confusing.

Probably best just to use common sense and work out what works best for you.

That was the point of that book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-First-20-Minutes-Surprising/dp/1848316518/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394292529&sr=8-2&keywords=20+minute+workout

"Q: when should I drink?

A: drink when you're thirsty

Q: but how much?

A: until your thirst is quenched"

I could have saved a few quids