Thin Shaming

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

seanE
Rabbit

Re: Thin Shaming

#16 Postby seanE » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:50 am

im so glad to see some one raise this point, I've never been fat so when people say fat people a shamed on a hourly basis i have to try not to say any thing,
but its all was been my opinion that thin people are shamed almost more than fat people, body shaming of any kind is wrong,
but don't encourage you kids to be over weight saying its healthy and attractive.
you must learn not to let others offend you.
''I'm only here to teach you that''

AutemOx
Rabbit

Re: Thin Shaming

#17 Postby AutemOx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:02 am

It is very sad, but there is a lot of pressure to be hush hush about pointing out other people's unhealthy habits. For strangers, it's rude, and I can understand that. But somewhere this slippery slope has had terrible consequences:

It is now taboo to discuss friends and family's weight.

So many Americans are obese that they are now the majority, and spread false information under the guise of a 'Fat Acceptance Movement' or HAES (healthy at every size).

Doctors are afraid to discuss obesity and diet with their patients, following studies that show patients are less likely to return if obesity is discussed, and with the increasing importance of patient reviews. If you ask a patient to lose weight or discuss their weight and diet, it's been shown they will give you poorer reviews. For private practice, yelp and other sites are an important source of patients. For HMO practitioners, our compensation has become increasingly tied to our patient rating scores. We have every reason to encourage our patients to become fat and unhealthy.

Return to “General Discussion”